Should Dreamworld.......

Obstructure

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dreamworld.......

• Build one huge modern roller coaster
    • Build a new themed area with several smaller, modern thrill rides
    • Build another roller coaster, but have some smaller rides around it

go for the big modern coaster, Id love to see a big multi looper built here ,not just fairly average double loopers. I think a coaster would work better than flats beacuse people remember coasters better then flats and the fad of coasters takes longer to wear off. Also, I think driving past a big maze of metal will attract more people than a less imposing flat ride.Think of it this way, if a friend is talking about their holiday up to the GC they always seem talk about the TOT, LW etc and how great they were, but nobody ever seems to talk about Reef Diver or Wipeout. I think the only real way a flat will be popular nowdays is if its something like a big Gyro Swing, so its good that DW is getting one. Another reason I would like to see a big coaster built is because it would force other parks to think of bigger things and this would start a coaster war, which is what all of us would love to see.

Ashlee, That's the best post you've strung together thus far. Still got plenty of work to do old son, or is it daughter? Good to see you covered as many options as possible in your answer though. Nothing wrong with covering all your bases :P I think they'll go for the group of flat rides myself. Personally, I'd get a big arse coaster there to fill the void.

Yep, got to agree. Something brand new that will not only challenge roller coasters in Australia, but the world. Lets face it, beating what we've got here in Australia is no big feat, so I think something huge that'll raise the bar enormously. If they were to redevelop that area into something with a huge roller coaster it wouldn't happen for a few years, seeing the gyro swing is next on the attractions list and building another major attraction so quickly after would take the effect away.

So in other words, its coming either next year, the year after or any year after that? Can't wait! For a change (well, for me at least) I wouldn't mind seeing Dreamworld adding a big roller coaster. Asking Dreamworld to theme is a waste of time, and if they do theme it, I only whinge about the tackiness and half baked nature of it. Bugger it, build a big shiny new coaster.

It's perfectly possible to build a ride and just make it look nice. I'd especially have to disagree with attempting a storyline, it's just hard to pull off. Just put some nice plants around the ride, don't skimp on the turf - we don't want to see dirt or roads under the ride, and especially don't build these hideous white sheds we're seeing dominate our parks in recent years. I say build a nicely spread out area with all the appropriate things - not just rides. Some flat rides, some shops, some amenities, some trees, some benches and throw in some coasters towards the back and spread them out over towards the back of the park where they're not wasting the highly useable land of Thunderbolt. The thing is, from what I can gather, their master plan for the area does include much more than just thrill rides. Just expect it to be a fairly nice area a decade from now, with much more than thrill rides.

I dont think DW going to get another themed land there coz there are already eleven in dreamworld already.Besides the thunderbolt area isnt that big.What exactly do you guys mean by a new type of rollercoaster for australia?I really wouldnt like the thought of DW getting something wacky like standup or flying =dreamworld has always had original rides and I for one would like it to stay that way.

I know Dreamworld's website say that they have 11 lands, but about half of them are nothing more than a building or two. I would say personally that they have around six true lands in total. Furthermore, you do realise that Thunderbolt's removal freed up a lot of land. They would be able to add an extra 20%+ to the park with that plot. Explain to me how Dreamworld has always had original rides? I can not name a single ride that's not been done elsewhere. Of what they've got, only Wipeout and Tower of Terror are truly unique to Australia. And what's so wacky about a standup or flying coaster?

I dont think giving a coaster a storyline and a good theme is too impossible, what about Nemesis at AT, the themeing on that thing is cool and it has a story to back it up. And Scott, what is wrong with getting something "Wacky", Id rather a flyer or standup to some sit down that the park already has (unless its a big sit down, im ok with it then) What sort of thing would you like to have instead?

It's certainly not impossible, but it's pratically impossible if it's an afterthough and isn't given a proper budget. Dreamworld have never been big spenders when it comes to theming. That's fine, but please don't try to theme a ride if you're not going to do it properly. I can tell you that Disney or Universal rides don't cost what they do because of the actual ride components - that's normally only a quarter or less of the total cost - most goes to theming.

Not sure if it was sent in a mailout, but I can only presume they announced their future plans in a mailout, as well as at their shareholder meeting. They talked about future plans for the thunderbolt area, the new ride going in later this year, other expansions of the park/upgrades and the area at the back that the council has zoned now.

Yeah, a little. Some things were announced at the meetings shareholders are invited to. I think a few of the things are just 'pencilled in' seeing they are long term ideas, though some are worth thinking about in the near future. Theres a few things but the basic idea is that Dreamworld is up for quite a few more developments and I am going to head to bed now but I will post what I have heard when I've got some more time. I will stress it is not first hand knowledge, but it has come from reliable sources. They are all pretty big developments as well, which when I heard the other day I was really excited at just the thought.