Sign in to follow this  
Richard

The Illusive Orphan Rocker

6 posts in this topic

I've been piecing together my latest photos (seen at www.totalthrills.com/scwgallery.php), earlier photos I took up there on previous visits, to come up with a rough idea of the layout of the ride, for those interested. I must stress that this is absolutely not to scale, nor are the angles of some curves true. This is more a look at how the ride looks, for those totally unfamiliar with this ride. The left side is a pretty steep hill (beyond the station and track), the top edge of the image is realistically where the cliff face is relative to the track - it's that close! orphanrocker.gif

I don't think this coaster will ever come about. This track has been at scenic world for about 5-7 years now. I have been there many times since the track first appeared and there has never been any sighns it will be opening. It has been painted rrecently but thats about it. Sorry to dissapoint you guys.

I spoke with the owner/director of Scenic World in around July last year. He certainly seemed very optimistic about the ride eventually opening. When they built the Sceniscender, they had to take out a significant length of track for construction. They rebuilt that track, so it isn't as if they've abandoned the ride. They've been working on the train, and programming the PLC - basically putting the finishing touches on the ride. They were working on the PLC that operates the lift motor, and once the issues there were settled, they could begin load testing. Still, there is no date set, and Mr Hammon is well aware that it's been a very long time, and may well be much longer still before this unique ride is open. This was all last year, since then, they may have completely resolved any problems, and be ready to open it now :). It was no different when I was there in January from when I was there in June. Regarding the lift hill, the second one that brings it into the station isn't a lift hill as such. It is a gently upward-sloping track that goes through a tunnel into the station, powered by kicker wheels. Whether you come screaming through here with the wheels just making sure you don't stop, or take a slow journey through the tunnel up to the station, I don't know.

I spoke to someone at Scenic World the other day and they seemed definate that the ride would open soon.......They said no date had been set however.........Here's hoping......