Green Lantern incident at MW

Jakev8

Unsubstantiated speculation? The incident happened, and it was agreed by those within the industry that it's something that shouldn't (failure of the primary restraint). We don't call a car crash no big deal simply because an air bag is fitted.

You may want to check what was said in that thread - at least one poster admitted to playing it down.

How about this one?

I think what we should be thinking about is what this could mean for VRTP and S&S. Lawsuits? Closures? Removals?

Also, do we know how this occurred? Did a wheel just spontaneously pop? Did the up stops fall apart?

Lawsuit - maybe (most likely out of court settlements though)

Closure - temporary, yes while it's investigated

Removal - very doubtful

How it occurred - let's stop and think about this for a moment. We're a bunch of people reading about this online and discussing it on this forum. None of us have conducted an investigation into this matter, none of us can tell you exactly what happened, so no, we do not know how this occurred and aren't likely to for weeks.

Considering the trains are unique to GL I can't see other El Locos around the world being shut because of this. But who made the trains? Was it S&S or a different company?

How it occurred - let's stop and think about this for a moment. We're a bunch of people reading about this online and discussing it on this forum. None of us have conducted an investigation into this matter, none of us can tell you exactly what happened, so no, we do not know how this occurred and aren't likely to for weeks.

Relax, we have people who have/are working in the industry. Why can't we speculate? I'm interested to see what people think.

Edited by downunder196

A statement from Village Roadshow issued this afternoon saying there has been an issue with a wheel.

“Warner Bros. Movie World and Queensland Fire have trained for this type of evacuation,” the statement says.

“The rescue team immediately assessed the situation and they have begun the evacuation efforts. “No injuries have occurred. Evacuation efforts are ongoing.

“The safety and wellbeing of our guests is our top priority. Following the evacuation efforts our team of engineers and technicians to will investigate the cause of this mechanical issue before the ride is reopened.”

Wow, we drove past MW around 12pm on our way to DW, and saw the Green Lantern operating normally. Sounds like we just missed out on seeing all this action... will be looking out again on the way home soon XD

ETA: seems to be a running theme for me, "just missing out" on important theme park happenings. D'oh!!! >.<

Very interesting. The media attention is likely to be short-lived as no one was injured; this same factor would make lawsuits highly unlikely in my opinion. The component clearly visible sitting on the grass is very unfortunate though. I do think there are obvious differences between this ride and other El Locos, particularly relating to vehicle design, differences in weight and possible issues relating to additional forces on components as a result.

Looks to me like one side of the ride has detached completely, which seems to also be referred to in the most recent reports coming through that whilst 2 young kids have been removed from the car, the remaining 6 are being told to stay put to avoid the weight shift causing issues.

Everyone has been evacuated according the The Theme Park Social Network on FaceBook

About as useless a source as they come.

As of 20 minutes ago: (News.com.au)

UPDATE: AN ‘unstable’ cart has been thwarting rescue efforts to remove some passengers still stuck at the top of a Movieworld ride.

Obviously I'm no expert, but why leave the heavy people on the side still connected to the track, thereby adding more weight to the only remaining wheels? Why not just hook a rope around the harness and lower the disconnected side?

Edited by reanimated35

It appears that the lateral bogies are missing off both the front and rear cars judging from the photo of the underside, with the front one (if it is still attached) not where I would expect it to be, and the rear is missing all three bogies. I wonder if it may have hit an obstruction?

Note the expected position of the front bogie:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m44uwtySIo1rre72ko1_500.jpg

• Gazza changed the title to Green Lantern incident at MW