Green Lantern incident at MW

Jakev8

Wondering why there was news helicopters hovering over there.

Will head over and see what's happening

Gold Coast Bulletin says a wheel came off? And 2 cars stuck with 14 people total

Ok just arrived at MW

About 10 ambulances here. 5 fire engines and heaps of police.

First car struck about 5m up lift hill - 5 people still on being evac'd. They've been given nice umbrellas to hold, it's frikkin hot about 33 degrees.

Second cart is on almost sideways, was in the sideways bank just after the first drop. Fire brigade cherry picker being used at to moment to get techs up who are looking at the bottom of the ride. 8 in Cart and looks like a very difficult Evac due to angle of the cart.

No idea how to post photos on here from my mobile but will try later tonight when I get home from work

Everyone now evac'd from first car on the lift hill.

Given the angle and access, I don't see anyway they can Evac the people in the second cart. Think they're gonna have to get it moving to at last an upright position to have any chance.

And that's it from me on the scene. Gotta get back to work! Haha

Edited by Brad2912

Hopefully this does not set off the usual media hype and hysteria that can be associated with these sort of incidences.......

In saying that, this is quite surprising...

From News corp who usually post overhyped bullshit on everything:

Guests at the park say a wheel has come loose from the ride and “sadly people are currently stuck”.

I would have expected "14 People nearly fall to their death as world's most famous rollercoaster falls apart"

Interesting

From Brisbane Times:

"There are two rows of seats in the carriage and the back row started to fall to the right. It fell about 30 degrees and my wife and I thought these people were dead. We thought it would fall, but it went about 30 degrees and then stopped."

By this picture they posted: Photo: Josh Adsett/Seven News

post-2613-0-11712700-1426393092_thumb.jp

Maybe there's some truth to it? With a completely uneducated guess, maybe the bottom guide wheel did drop off and cause the cart to sit like that?

Collapse? What a ridiculous choice of a word.

Don't think anyone was playing it down, but when morons are saying the ride 'collapsed' you are gonna wait for more info

Can we have this thread title changed to "Green Lantern wheel does exactly what it's not supposed to do" ? :P

And disappointingly, I've been listening to gold coast firecom and QPS dispatch for the last 15 minutes and there's been no mention of progress on it (no mention of it all actually).

Edited by reanimated35

sounds like they didn't do much Maintenance to the ride when it closed down back in January..

Wouldn't be surprised if the ride is going down for a month

Yeah, I'm sure they looked at a loose wheel and went, "nah screw it, we'll not worry about that." I know you're only young, but fuck, think before you type.

Ride going down for a month? I'd be surprised if they had in running within 3 months given how much investigation I would think they'd have to go through.

sounds like they didn't do much Maintenance to the ride when it closed down back in January..

Wouldn't be surprised if the ride is going down for a month

And here comes the resident village idiot...

1. How do you know what they did & didn't do in the maintenance period?

2. How do you know today's event was a foreseeable issue? How do you even know what today's issue is/was?

3. Given the above, how can you even begin to estimate downtime?

Of course, last time we talked about an issue like this we had to play it down...

"Issue like this"? You've conflated an incident fueled by unsubstantiated speculation where a secondary safety mechanism seemingly engaged as designed, with what is looking to be a very obvious and public critical failure of a major component.

We don't have any interest in obfuscating the truth or treating our parks with any unwarranted reverence, but wild speculation and supposition really has no place anywhere.

• Gazza changed the title to Green Lantern incident at MW