Green Lantern incident at MW

Jakev8

What about the Spin Dragon accident at the Adelaide show where the whole Gondola fell off?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/spin-dragon-a-risk-for-years/story-e6freo8c-1111112630409

Maybe it wasn't 35m up? :P

I didn't know parts had fallen off. Are you sure about that though or could it be a rumour?

Regardless, I'll be back on Green Lantern soon after it re-opens, with no worries at all.

Have you not read this thread? Or looked at basically ANY news site in the last 6 hours?

Just think of Dreamworld's reaction, especially after what happened on the BuzzSaw

I'm thinking now Dreamworld is going to be even more cautious about the state that Eureka Mountain might be in after what happened today don't you think?

The BuzzSaw incident was more of a warning than anything else, but this could've possibly ended in disaster if this happened if the vehicle was in an inversion.

Edited by coasterdude44

Sorry to be a bug, but please explain why not? I mean, why would one cart on a roller coaster stop because the wheel of another separate cart fell off?

And if it wouldn't, why can't we assume that it may have been a deliberate stop by the operator when he/she saw that the cart was damaged?

And if we can, why can't we give them a break?

Because there can only be one vehicle per block. If the ride control system knows the block ahead isn't clear it holds the train back automatically to prevent a rear ender. Eg by stopping the lift, or by holding it on one of the brake runs along the ride.

This is a standard feature on any roller coaster running more than one vehicle.

http://www.davealthoff.com/tech/blocking.html

Edited by Gazza

Links to the others by any chance? I haven't heard of them.

The only one I can remember is the Wipeout style ride at the Adelaide show that fell apart.

There was a whole thread not long ago ( late last year if I recall) that was devoted to deaths and accidents in the Australian amusement industry. Both Luna Parks were covered quite extensively by myself and other posters contributed to the myriad of other incidents that have occurred over the years. I am surprised you did not remember it.

Really? I've never heard of another occurance of a ride train being partially and close to completely derailed 35m up in the air. When did something worse occur? (not including the Ghost Train disaster at Luna Park)

Why wouldn't you include the Ghost train disaster? As you can read in the above thread, several accidents occasioning death have occurred. Whilst this has been a serious event and we are lucky that safety features prevented any injuries, serious or otherwise, there have definitely been far worse in Australian amusement history.

Edited by Jobe

Gotta love the media.... this is what was broadcast live on the news tonight:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/26667907/rollercoaster-goes-off-track/

There's been a marathon rescue at Movie World on the Gold Coast after a car on a rollercoaster crashed off the track.

They also threw around the words "accident" and "victims" a lot throughout the story.... sensationalizing what was a pretty well contained situation where nobody was actually injured or killed.

Way to go, Channel 7. Anything for ratings, eh? Bet Village Roadshow is not amused.

:rolleyes:<_<

What about the Spin Dragon accident at the Adelaide show where the whole Gondola fell off?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/spin-dragon-a-risk-for-years/story-e6freo8c-1111112630409

Sorry I should have been more specific, I know there have been numerous issues over the years with travelling shows/rides. My comment was with regards to fixed ride at theme parks.

They also threw around the words "accident" and "victims" a lot throughout the story.... sensationalizing what was a pretty well contained situation where nobody was actually injured or killed.

Way to go, Channel 7. Anything for ratings, eh? Bet Village Roadshow is not amused.

:rolleyes:<_<

Well it was an accident, and you don't have to die to be a victim, so I wouldn't say it was too Exaggerated in that regard.

I also wouldn't really comsider the issue to the 'well contained'. I know MW said that themselves and the fire & rescue had trained for this incident occurring, but I think that's covering bases. They may have trained for a vertical retrieval of passengers, but not under the circumstances of today's incident

I know its not an Australian example, but the whole 'wheel falling off' issue immediately reminded me of the famous Canadian Mindbender incident back in 1986 in which 3 people were killed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindbender_%28Galaxyland%29#1986_accident

Thank God our rollercoaster and thrill ride safety standards have improved since those days. This could have ended a far lot worse, if that tragedy was anything to go by :unsure:

Edited by OceanGirl

Gotta love the media.... this is what was broadcast live on the news tonight:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/26667907/rollercoaster-goes-off-track/

Not sure if this has already been noted in this thread but the footage clearly shows a second set of wheels resting on the second MCBR platform at 1:57

Having said that, if they were going to have a ride out of commission, Green Lantern is probably the best one but being down 1 will just emphasise the big weakness of the park.

I'd argue Arkham would be better. It's pretty much located in a dead end with most of the track hidden behind show buildings.

Green Lantern is the first ride you see in full at MW.

And has better capacity.

Well it was an accident, and you don't have to die to be a victim, so I wouldn't say it was too Exaggerated in that regard.

I also wouldn't really comsider the issue to the 'well contained'. I know MW said that themselves and the fire & rescue had trained for this incident occurring, but I think that's covering bases. They may have trained for a vertical retrieval of passengers, but not under the circumstances of today's incident

I have seen both parks training with the fire department early in the mornings. The last one I did see was at dw when the fire department where pulling dummies out of the buzz saw while it was upside down.

Here's a couple of pics I found of the wheels of the cart on the ground

From these pictures and a screen shot from the 7 new video it appears parts of the wheel boogies have landed in 2 separate locations. The only thing to figure out is if these are both from the one assembly or is it in fact a front and back assembly both broken off.

Scary situation and I'm glad that everyone is ok, defiantly could have been worse.

(Edit: just saw Fleas post)

post-1709-0-73576300-1426421356_thumb.jp

Edited by DEAP

If we are looking a long term closure, it may expedite plans for a new attraction. The park already severely suffered from not having a full day worth of attractions. We hit winter with WWF basically friendless, no GL and then another attraction down on scheduled maintenance be it SE or AA and all of a sudden it's not even a half day park

Very lucky this was not any worse! Well done to the rescue team for getting them out safely. However this does not stop me from wanting to go on Green Lantern or any other ride for that matter. Reminds me of the Wipeout incident back in 2000 I think it was when one of the two gearboxes severely malfunctioned mid ride and riders were stuck mid air tilting upside down for 3 hours and the fire rescue team had to get the riders out using a cherry picker. These events are very rare and I have complete trust in the maintanence of rides here in Australia.

Edited by WipeoutDreamworldFan

There was a whole thread not long ago ( late last year if I recall) that was devoted to deaths and accidents in the Australian amusement industry. Both Luna Parks were covered quite extensively by myself and other posters contributed to the myriad of other incidents that have occurred over the years. I am surprised you did not remember it.

Why wouldn't you include the Ghost train disaster? As you can read in the above thread, several accidents occasioning death have occurred. Whilst this has been a serious event and we are lucky that safety features prevented any injuries, serious or otherwise, there have definitely been far worse in Australian amusement history.

Oh yeah, my bad, I do remember that thread now sorry. A bit sad my memory is that terrible and I'm only 26 :P

Like WipeOutDreamFan I also have a high level of confidence in the safety of theme park rides.

In fact I feel far more at risk whenever I drive my car. Especially on motorways. Almost everybody fails to indicate for a sufficient amount of time before changing lanes, and almost everybody fails to leave a safe distance between vehicles.

I'm just amazed that there aren't a lot more serious incidents on the road than there are.

Compared to driving, rollercoasters actually feel pretty tame to me!

I'm thinking what would be big enough to take both out. Just some random thoughts. Could it be the back car failed and the extra weight of the car and the forces placed to much load on the front car. (But surely it has been designed to carry the extra load because derailments have happens before). I also think did something on the track break and hit the side of it. (I've been looking at photos but can't see anything but what would I know lol) I have even had the thought of sabotage.

• Gazza changed the title to Green Lantern incident at MW