Green Lantern incident at MW

Jakev8

No idea what hydraulics they are referring to continuing to engage??

As for speed, it was the first corner after the drop, so the climb out of the dip would drop speed to a designated speed range to safely make the corner. The only way a car could enter that corner any faster than expected would be in the trim breaks between the lift Hill and drop didn't engage, or if during the drop some of the assembly had already begun to separate from the track causing less friction and natural deceleration

But in comparison to some of these other ride manufacturers, some whom have been around since as early as the 1700's? They are very new to the market. That's the only reason I wonder...

They had ride manufacturers in the 1700s??

Why were the trying to build cars when they had rollercoasters? We could have just coasted to from city to another

They had ride manufacturers in the 1700s??

Why were the trying to build cars when they had rollercoasters? We could have just coasted to from city to another

Lmfao!!!! Wouldn't that have been awesome :D

But yeah... one example is Mack Rides, they were founded in 1780. Although back then it was building organ wagons and caravans for traveling showmen. Their first coaster wasn't built until 1921.

Regardless, they have been in the industry for a very long time and have a lot of experience with what they do, as do many of the others whom have been around for decades, if not centuries like this particular mob.

But in comparison to some of these other ride manufacturers, some whom have been around since as early as the 1700's? They are very new to the market. That's the only reason I wonder...

S&S are a fine company. Certainly not a cheap alternative to Intamin/Mack/Vekoma -- three companies who have also had their share of incidents over the years and would be more or less equally regarded in the industry and priced accordingly. S&S certainly weren't the "cheap option". They are known for pushing boundaries and as a result have built a few lemons in their day, but they have a track record of safety and reliability consistent with the other manufacturers that you mentioned.

Your engineering friend wouldn't be wrong to suggest that the forces are considerably more for these larger cars. But your friend would also have an appreciation for the amount of design, simulation and testing that would go into each and every component.

Without any further information no one can determine where blame for the incident lies. But S&S's experience or history as a firm is a red herring; 20+ years is a very solid history for a company, not to mention the intellectual property they have attained through their acquisition of ride engineering pioneers like Arrow Dynamics as Slick suggested.

In regards to the "hydraulics being restarted", remember that a lot of the GP think that cars/trains have motors in them. They didn't realise that the car had stopped at a point in the track where it was unable to move. They may have heard brakes/compressors/tyre kickers firing.

Edited by Flea

Yikes didn't realise there was so much love for JL but I should clarify that the ride is good for what it is but rail shooter type of rides generally don't intrest me in the slightest but can appreciate that others do enjoy that kind of ride. It still doesn't change the fact that MW is lacking in variety of rides.

Back on topic has there been any word if any of the other El Locos around the world have been shut down/had their operation suspended while they check what happened or will that only happen once they find out exactly what happened with GL?

Your engineering friend wouldn't be wrong to suggest that the forces are considerably more for these larger cars. But your friend would also have an appreciation for the amount of design, simulation and testing that would go into each and every component.

Such corner on Green Lantern is actually wider than that of the 4 seater versions such as Timber Drop. Therefore the forces are partially mitigated as a result.

Just did a bit of Googling around. Firstly the coaster was almost entirely designed and manufactured by the Sansei (Japanese) arm of the company - explains the non conventional track and odd shaping (transitions, based on videos on Youtube, look very rough too). It appears that as a car was ascending the lift, the chain disengaged, anti rollbacks failed and the car crashed into a waiting car in the station.

Any chance you could post a brief run down? I'm on my phone and it's not giving me an option to translate

I don't think the translate option would have helped much.....

19 afternoon 40 minutes past midnight, Tokyo Inagi and Kawasaki Tama-ku, across the amusement park " Yomiuri Land attraction "was reverse-way traveling. 3 people, including one child was riding, but injured did not.The company's presentations and Kanagawa Prefecture According to the warning Tama station, and run reverse in four-seater "twist coaster Robin" is the point where the advanced 5 meters from the starting. That collided in the subsequent unmanned vehicle waiting.

This coaster is the full-length 313 meters, at the maximum speed is 62 kilometers per hour, had just started a business from the 19th. And that service is canceled.

^somehow I don't think the investigation report is going to end with that as a conclusion.

It's a shame there aren't "closer up" photos of the two wheel assembly components that were thrown off to see if there was in fact a fracture in the steel or whether something just simply came undone.

And it's entirely unheard off for a total derailment to occur, usually because the guide side friction wheels on other parts of the train would still prevent catastrophe. In this case both left hand bogeys have been damaged, which means there is nothing left to stop the right hand bogeys from separating also.

Never would have happened on a woodie. ;)

^somehow I don't think the investigation report is going to end with that as a conclusion.

It's a shame there aren't "closer up" photos of the two wheel assembly components that were thrown off to see if there was in fact a fracture in the steel or whether something just simply came undone.

And it's entirely unheard off for a total derailment to occur, usually because the guide side friction wheels on other parts of the train would still prevent catastrophe. In this case both left hand bogeys have been damaged, which means there is nothing left to stop the right hand bogeys from separating also.

Never would have happened on a woodie. ;)

Imagine that, MW's CEO coming out going "well, we looked into it, and, well, shit happens." :P

Has there been any word if the 2nd bogey was removed by QFES or if it fell off?

It's the kind of accident that really makes you double think about going on a ride again. I thought BSG was bad enough, but this is pretty scary when you think about it.

It's a good thing the accident didn't happen on a different element of the ride.

I hope they get to the bottom of it.

Fuck that, I'd go on it again. If I'm going to go out early, or hell, when I go out when I'm old, I wouldn't mind it being on a coaster. At least now the lines for GL might be shorter.

Look at BTMR at Disneyland. It's still operating that that DID kill someone.

• Gazza changed the title to Green Lantern incident at MW