Green Lantern incident at MW

Jakev8

ThrillSeekerMore I'm glad you and your family are ok. If this was me I would be going straight to lawyer. I would not talk to the media or any website community until I had at least talked to a lawyer. I would not be attending a meeting with MV before I had talked to a lawyer. I would put money on it that MW will talk to a lawyer before they talk to you. I saw Mr CEO on the news offering you a free day in the park and you deserve better than that.

Thanks, I'm lucky I'm a pretty positive person naturally I think haha Yeah, I mean my father was the worst hurt with broken ribs but we will be contacted by Movie World soon to discuss all of that kind of stuff. :)

TSNM - can I ask (for my own self righteousness I guess) - you mention your father had broken ribs - media articles said he had a punctured lung also. I'm already on record in this thread on my thoughts, and I don't believe a punctured lung would have been the case given that no medical attention was brought to you until you made it back down on the ground - can you confirm this? I don't want to be wrong on this but I just don't see how it were possible... if i'm wrong i'm wrong.

It's great to have you on the forums so that we can get the info straight from the horse's mouth so to speak, rather than media beatup. It is unfortunate the experience you've had with the media, but to be honest it was to be expected. Good on you for turning them down.

I'd at least be asking for a free lifetime pass. :P

I would suggest that this would not be out of the question. It's not like it would cost the park money really, and at the end of the day - they'd make more money from you by you coming back and spending in park. Why would you buy a dreamworld pass if you can get into VRTP for the rest of your life?

Can we have more members like ThrillSeekerNoMore and less like skeetafly?

Like not on the forums, just in society in general?

Agree - Skeet I think you've got a little overboard there (are you american?) - we are too much a litigious society. Given the circumstances of the event, and the info now coming to light about just how close the train came to the edge - the park would do well to offer a generous compensation - even if it isn't in the form of money (as I said above - passes wouldn't cost much, but would hold a lot of value to guests).

Chuck in a couple nights at SWR, and maybe a dinner at AOS - these things don't COST a lot to VRTP, but would be very generous in terms of an apology.

TSNM - I don't blame you for 'taking a time out' but i hope at some stage in the future you approach Richard to have your nickname changed on the forums. If it were me - i'd keep riding anything else, but avoid GL until the official investigation concluded and the cause was known.

All the best to you and your family.

djrappa can we not.

I've been waiting almost 2 years to get my L4 and L5 fused together after a work accident that was not my fault. At the time of the accident I thought it was nothing major and did not worry about it. About 3 years later after returning to a sport I have found out the hard way that my disc in the lumber spine have exploded. Now I cannot go on roller coasters till my back is fixed as I cannot stand longer stand longer the 5 min because of the pain and if I stand longer then this my legs go numb and I collapse after about 15min. I did not tell her to try and take them for all they have but saying you need a lawyer to protect yourself and we can already see Mr CEO is already playing it down. I didn’t what some type of payout for my back I just want to be able to walk longer than 5 min and I think you misunderstand where I am coming from.

It's a personal choice, skeetafly. If she doesn't want to seek a lawyer, she doesn't have to. Your personal bias towards the matter has clearly skewed your ability to offer appropriate advice. No one in the car has injuries that compare to yours, and your incident was in no relation to theme parks (using your inability to ride coasters certainly doesn't count).

You'd be pretty silly not to at least have a quick consult with a lawyer if for no reason other than to make sure you're informed enough not to prejudice your future legal rights, I'd reckon. After all, you can bet the park will be speaking to theirs.

A simple chat with a lawyer doesn't have to result in litigation - instead it may be beneficial to simply know what things you should and should not do from a legal perspective that could come back to bite you later.

Thank you webslave I never worded that way but that is what I was trying to get across and that's my bad.

Your personal bias towards the matter has clearly skewed your ability to offer appropriate advice. No one in the car has injuries that compare to yours, and your incident was in no relation to theme parks (using your inability to ride coasters certainly doesn't count).

What has roller coasters have to do with it. It was a workplace accident. That is why Workplace is investigating it. Workplace covers the customer and the employee. So it total the same thing 2 people injured at a place of work.

TSNM - can I ask (for my own self righteousness I guess) - you mention your father had broken ribs - media articles said he had a punctured lung also. I'm already on record in this thread on my thoughts, and I don't believe a punctured lung would have been the case given that no medical attention was brought to you until you made it back down on the ground - can you confirm this? I don't want to be wrong on this but I just don't see how it were possible... if i'm wrong i'm wrong.

It's great to have you on the forums so that we can get the info straight from the horse's mouth so to speak, rather than media beatup. It is unfortunate the experience you've had with the media, but to be honest it was to be expected. Good on you for turning them down.

My father got a partial punctured lung so it's not fully punctured and the rescue team didn't know until he got off that he was that injured unfortunately. My father said he thought his ribs were broken but had no idea about his lung. They couldn't really give us any medical attention while up there unless it was dire as we were unsure of the cart stability either.

We may pursue a lawyer in the future but for now we don't feel the need to, we have had a chat to some over the phone to get some advice so we do have that part down already, I understand what you're saying now. Thank you everyone for your thoughts, you're all a lot more understanding than the idiots commenting on the news pages..

I think you've handled this really well, ThrillSeekerNoMore, especially during the incident itself. When you see how some people behave on roller coasters (like Karl Stefanovic) it was very impressive to hear that everyone was so cool and calm whilst waiting for the emergency crews to arrive. I don't know how you did it.

Thank you webslave I never worded that way but that is what I was trying to get across and that's my bad.

What has roller coasters have to do with it. It was a workplace accident. That is why Workplace is investigating it. Workplace covers the customer and the employee. So it total the same thing 2 people injured at a place of work.

Yes, it is your bad.

In your initial post you spoke about your inability to ride roller coasters due to your workplace incident. My point being is you are offering advice to a situation which is very different to your own. I am certainly not downplaying your incident, however going to such lengths may not be advised in this situation given the injuries have not been as significant as yours, for example.

Anyway, I still believe Movie World definitely has a duty of care and if someone were to seek compensation for whatever reason they have their right to.

See, duty of care is a funny ol' term - people think it means things that it doesn't. To be able to sue somebody you are talking about civil law. To sue someone under civil law you need to identify a tort (or civil wrong) to sue under. Duty of care is not a tort - to go down that path you need to sue for negligence.

To make out a case for negligence you generally need to satisfy:

- That a duty of care exists

- That the duty of care was broken

- Proximity (that a relationship exists; somewhat like causation

- That the plaintiff came to harm (and that the harm can be proven)

So, to think about duty of care as an element of negligence - how is it determined? Glad you asked;

- The party knew or ought to have known of the risk (was it reasonably foreseeable?)

- The risk was not insignificant (different from reasonably foreseeable - was the risk far-fetched or fanciful?)

- A reasonable person in the position of the party would have taken precautions against the risk (were they careless?).

I'm really interested if other El Locos are/will be closed. I believe most parks that have them haven't opened for their season yet, but I can't find any info on Adventuredome's. Flamingo Land opens in 2 days so we'll see what happens to Mumbo Jumbo. You'd think with such a catastrophic failure the rides would be shutdown immediately - unless of course the cause was found relatively quickly.

http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/60-Corkscrew/gallery/sort/newest/location/ride-251/offset/42

Not sure if the photo will show up as posting from my phone but this photo from this very site seems to show that it is indeed Corkscrew although it seems as if they've photoshopped the corkscrew logo off the front car and changed the colour of the waves/pattern on the side from red to blue.

As for GL I'd be surprised if it was up and running by Xmas so I'd agree at a year minimum

Unfortunately due to our American friends, and the influence of American TV, a lot of people these days think lawyers have all the answers to lifes problems, and even accidents have to be blamed on someone.

Sadly the result is often that the person who sues theme parks and other businesses makes a bit of easy cash, and the vast majority of people who love going to the theme parks end up with less fun, permanently, because the parks are forced to close the rides (and in some cases to close the parks).

I am 100% sure Movie World Management will make reasonable efforts to assist guests who were on the Green Lantern, even though this was not their fault but a genuine unforeseeable accident.

Beyond that, things happen. Read the conditions of entry to the parks and to the rides. If you don't agree, please don't go!

Let's all remember that accidents happen. By definition they are nobodys fault.

• Gazza changed the title to Green Lantern incident at MW