Green Lantern incident at MW

Jakev8

Well, you are making an assumption in saying it is not their fault. It's an outcome we would all hope for, but a lot of investigation will have to take place before any blame is cast or rescinded from any of the parties involved.

Accidents do happen. Not sure what dictionary you use, but all accidents have a cause and effect. The cause will almost always lead to some element of fault. I think maybe you meant 'intent' rather than fault.

Is someone not at fault in every car 'accident'?

Why would you buy a dreamworld pass if you can get into VRTP for the rest of your life?

Because VRTP become boring after a while lol. We had VIP passes for the past 2-3 years, but bought Dreamworld/WWW ones this year because we are sick of the other three parks. Plus Dreamworld is arguably the best park out of the lot of them, there is plenty more rides.

So you'd probably still want to buy a pass for it anyway, even if you had lifetime entry to VRTP.

I would ;)

Read the conditions of entry to the parks and to the rides. If you don't agree, please don't go!

Unfortunately, many businesses these days say things like "all care taken, but no responsibility" or "you ride at your own risk" "we accept no liability" and these are standard boilerplate terms that most people read, understand, and ride anyway (or don't read at all).

The problem is that businesses cannot write away your own rights under law. These terms and conditions are meant for people who ride a rollercoaster 2 weeks after spinal surgery and then sue the park because they are paralysed.

However - this is generally stupidity, out of the operator's control, (and would be contrary to medical advice) meaning it would be hard for them to make a case against the park.

In GL's case however - if it is shown that maintenance was the problem - the riders have a very real case against the park. If it is shown that it is the fault of the manufacturer - something that they should have done, but didn't, the riders may still make a case against the park (as they are the owners and proprietors of the ride) - but likewise the park would also have a case against the manufacturer.

You can't just say 'the T&Cs told you it's your own fault, so deal with it or don't visit' because visitors to the park have an expectation that they will get what they pay for - family enjoyment in a safe, well maintained environment.

Because VRTP become boring after a while lol. We had VIP passes for the past 2-3 years, but bought Dreamworld/WWW ones this year because we are sick of the other three parks. Plus Dreamworld is arguably the best park out of the lot of them, there is plenty more rides.

So you'd probably still want to buy a pass for it anyway, even if you had lifetime entry to VRTP.

Growing up in Sydney - Wonderland was the only park within reasonable distance. To be honest I don't think i'd ever get bored - I realise standalone that the VRTP parks are lacking, but when combined, I believe they shit all over Dreamworld.

This probably needs a new topic if it goes any further - but i'd say 'arguably the best park' is extremely subjective, depending on what you want out of a park - and that not everyone would agree with you.

Unfortunately due to our American friends, and the influence of American TV, a lot of people these days think lawyers have all the answers to lifes problems, and even accidents have to be blamed on someone.

Sadly the result is often that the person who sues theme parks and other businesses makes a bit of easy cash, and the vast majority of people who love going to the theme parks end up with less fun, permanently, because the parks are forced to close the rides (and in some cases to close the parks).

I am 100% sure Movie World Management will make reasonable efforts to assist guests who were on the Green Lantern, even though this was not their fault but a genuine unforeseeable accident.

Beyond that, things happen. Read the conditions of entry to the parks and to the rides. If you don't agree, please don't go!

Let's all remember that accidents happen. By definition they are nobodys fault.

Sir, that is about the silliest thing I've ever read. To be able to sue somebody you have to be able to prove that you were legitimately harmed through the negligence of another. If you follow your own logic you're saying that someone who is legitimately harmed in an accident caused by the negligence of a theme park is out to ruin your fun so they can make a quick buck. I mean, sure, they may suffer permanent pain or disablement - but your fun is more important than covering their medical bills and lost wages, right? Get a grip.

Thankfully we worked out that attitudes like yours are entirely counter-productive to public safety - that's why there's always a race to determine what the root cause of an accident is, and by extension who is or was responsible for that root cause.

Accidents shouldn't happen, but do. They don't happen in isolation.

a genuine unforeseeable accident.

Let's all remember that accidents happen. By definition they are nobodys fault.

We don't know that, and accidents absolutely can happen because of negligence. Lets not get too defensive of MW before we know the details of what has happened.

edit: missed that there was an 11th page and that people have already responded to this.

Edited by dukeofwhales

I'm really interested if other El Locos are/will be closed. I believe most parks that have them haven't opened for their season yet, but I can't find any info on Adventuredome's. Flamingo Land opens in 2 days so we'll see what happens to Mumbo Jumbo. You'd think with such a catastrophic failure the rides would be shutdown immediately - unless of course the cause was found relatively quickly.

I would suggest it would be more of a concern for El Locos with the larger MW-style cars. But I'm not sure if there are any out there? My understanding is that these larger cars (with audio etc.) were specially designed for MW at their request. But it looks like S&S are now marketing these larger cars as a standard offering - http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/product/el-loco-coaster/

The question is, have any other parks installed the 8-seater models?

Edited by GoGoBoy

"It is the largest El Loco in existence, and the only one to feature eight-seat cars instead of four."

As per the GL article on this website. So yeah, it's the only one. Even more reason why I'm inclined to believe it's an S&S design flaw.

I would suggest it would be more of a concern for El Locos with the larger MW-style cars. But I'm not sure if there are any out there? My understanding is that these larger cars (with audio etc.) were specially designed for MW at their request. But it looks like S&S are now marketing these larger cars as a standard offering - http://www.engineeringexcitement.com/product/el-loco-coaster/

Hi Gogoboy, according to this http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mo=8573

only GL has the 8 seat cars thus far. The one in happy valley has onboard sound though but is a 4 seater like all the others.

The best El Loco is the adventuredome IMO, as it has no slowing of any kind, it is very short and misses the in line twist (it replaces it with another twist and dive but right into the station!), but it has the perfect intensity, unlike the "I brake for everything" GL.

Back on topic to the accident, i'd ride GL in a heartbeat when fixed, this sort of thing is literally like one in a million. On the other hand, I am in the camp that I truly believe it was just dumb luck in this case that saved the situation from being the biggest disaster in Aussie theme park history.

Sir, that is about the silliest thing I've ever read. To be able to sue somebody you have to be able to prove that you were legitimately harmed through the negligence of another. If you follow your own logic you're saying that someone who is legitimately harmed in an accident caused by the negligence of a theme park is out to ruin your fun so they can make a quick buck. I mean, sure, they may suffer permanent pain or disablement - but your fun is more important than covering their medical bills and lost wages, right? Get a grip.

Thankfully we worked out that attitudes like yours are entirely counter-productive to public safety - that's why there's always a race to determine what the root cause of an accident is, and by extension who is or was responsible for that root cause.

Accidents shouldn't happen, but do. They don't happen in isolation.

Another one added to my blocked list. I'm not here to be offended and insulted!

Hilarious, I suppose.

Not really setting a high standard as a so-called Community Leader though, to be honest.

Community leader is a designation, often by secondary sources (particularly in the media), for a person who is perceived to represent a community.

I think this is an accurate representation of the community really.

Why do people trying to make a point think the phrase 'so-called' hurts?

Anyway, I told webslave off earlier in the thread and he didn't have a cry about it, I make a post saying you're being over sensitive and to prove me wrong you act butthurt. Besides, the thrust of the post wasn't having a go at you, he had a go at what you said. Very different. Be an adult.

See, thing is I think the growth of internet usage has revealed that there are many among us who many would term hyper-sensitive. If you ask me - and few people do - I think there's a portion of people who now think that being offended is meaningful. I'm not sure why this is, but it's growing by the day. The worst part to me is that quite often people are offended by-proxy for others. "I'm offended about what you said about indigenous people", "I'm offended by what you said about people with a disability", "I'm offended by the language you used in front of the women". In poor-taste or classless maybe - but leave being offended to the people actually affected and then let them make up their own mind. Twitter seems to be the worst for it. Being offended isn't an injury - nobody should feel sorry for you, because you haven't come to any harm. It's almost like the term 'offensive' is interchangeable with 'unpleasant'.

Some people are offended by religion, or by language or by images. The thing I think we can all agree on is that nobody cares. It sounds harsh, but probably only if you're over-sensitive and have too high an opinion of yourself. It's okay for nobody to care about something you think or say - they have no obligation to you. Your offence is your problem to deal with - and a very easy problem to deal with at that.

As for me - I'll get as good as I give. If someone wants to take me to task so much the better - I learn more from watching someone get passionate and debate something than I do watching people try to get along and avoid offending each other. If I don't agree I'll call you out on it and tell you why - it doesn't mean I don't like or respect you; it simply means I don't see it that way.

• Gazza changed the title to Green Lantern incident at MW