Green Lantern incident at MW

Jakev8

Pretty sure - given the park is considered a 'workplace' that there will need to be a workcover type incident, which should more than likely produce a publicly accessible report. Whether the park is obligated to release something, as opposed to some interested party going digging for it is a different story, but fairly certain VRTP will want to show transparency in this process, as a way of restoring faith in the ride, if it is to continue to operate.

I've always wondered about zip line as well. I just got the discovery pass, which says I get 50% off sky coaster, flow rider and zip line. I'm going to assume that it does work, but they just don't use it. And now that constrictor is there, does that affect people from getting to the zipline? (I haven't been to the park sine constrictor opened)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The theme park social network have said that there is a chance it could be open in August. I wouldn't say this is the most reliable source, but thought I'd post it.

I know the issue was with the car, but do people think there is a chance that track may been to be replaced or modified?

Edited by themagician

I don't think there's anything wrong with the track - clearly there appears to be a fault in the wheel assemblies - they'll need to work out what they are, and then come up with a solution to fix them, or at the very least - something to ensure any future failures fail-safe. That's not to say they won't rectify the assembly issue - but that if they do fix it - it needs to have a redundancy, or a fail safe so that IF it ever did happen again (nobody can say never) then at least it has the appropriate protections in place so we don't have the same 'high risk' incident.

I could publicly announce on facebook that there is a chance it could be open tomorrow - all movieworld needs to make the ride operational is to turn it back on and and start operating it. It's highly unlikely for many reasons not the least of which would be the ongoing investigation, and the potential legal ramifications of doing so without ensuring guest safety - but anyone could really pick ANY date and say that. I recall after the incident with BSG at USS that people had dates left, right and centre on when it was supposed to open - and few of them got close.

It will reopen IF and only IF the authorities, manufacturer and park can all be satisfied that the situation that led to the failure has been identified, fixed and assured that a similar failure won't occur again, at least not without the safeguards talked about above.

The issue can be how they handle GL's queues... the 'grouper' at the ramp only sends a certain number of people up to the station, the ramp (in peak periods) doesn't always show the full queue as i've seen them held back in the area where they had those shade marquees in the middle of summer (granted a couple years ago).

But even with short queues, the load process currently observed is very inefficient.. They might go with the 2 seat instead of four seat cars - a very costly exercise - but they'd also have to retrofit the station, the evac ramps on the lift hill and brake runs and a few other minor things. It's doable, but i'm fairly certain the park went with 4 seaters for a reason. If it turns out to be an engineering or manufacturing defect, rather than a maintenance problem - S&S is going to be up for big bucks to retrofit it. If it's maintenance - then nothing will stop them from reopening 'as is' except an overhaul in maintenance procedures, and probably a thorough re-check (and perhaps replacement) of all the current wheel assemblies.

Isn't GL one of only a couple of those coasters to feature the 8 seat cars?

Pretty sure I've read a few sources saying it's the first and only El Toro coaster in the world to have 8 seater cars.

I am still convinced that this is specifically the problem with its design - that the cars are too wide for such a small track, causing too much stress on the wheel assemblies whilst it's in motion, especially with all the turns and twists involved. Even I used to think it looked kinda awkward/wrong whilst watching it in action.

Maybe it passed all it's testing phases initially and has ran flawlessly for years, but I think physics got the best of it in the end.

Once again, personal belief. Happy to be proven otherwise. Still waiting to hear the outcome of the investigation to see what they find out.

Edited by OceanGirl

• Gazza changed the title to Green Lantern incident at MW