Movie World Pyro Explosion Accident?-History

So I'm at Tafe studying Technical Production (sound and lighting etc) and my teacher was telling us stories about an explosion on the backlot where they make (or used to) to make gun powder pyro effects for the Police Academy Stunt Show (and possibly maverick). Happened about 15 years ago. I did a quick google and nothing came up. Apparently there was 3 guys and one was leaving the building as it went off and threw them all outside the building. Severely burned them beyond recognition. Has anyone heard about this?

Edited by lifeofsamage

So here I was thinking that there had been an accident on the set of HWSD today and I get in here to find out it's a hearsay story of something 15 years ago.

Perhaps the thread title could say something about the historic nature of the incident, or that it was rumor, not fact?

On an unrelated note - how funny is it techies, roadies and stagies tend to gravitate towards theme parks also? I know a lot of amateur (and professional) guys on these boards within that industry...

• 2 months later...
  • Bit of an old thread.. but thought I would chime in as I was one of the three in this particular incident...
  • February 5, 2003, 1pm after lunch we suffered a catastrophic explosion which engulfed three of us working at the magazine that day.  I was categorised with 61% full thickness burns (3rd degree in the old model) and took about 2 full years of rehabilitation to get back to some semblance of normal life.
  • Yeah, pretty much ancient history.  but clear as yesterday for me.  If anyone wanted an educational type input I would be more than happy to front up and talk about my experience.

15 years as a professional pyro technician.... two seconds to change my life.  Im a survivor.. not a victim...have lead a very successful life since this particular accident and have so much to be thankful for.... but yeah.. it is pretty much ancient history now.  :)

Edited by Macross

• Bit of an old thread.. but thought I would chime in as I was one of the three in this particular incident...
  • February 5, 2003, 1pm after lunch we suffered a catastrophic explosion which engulfed three of us working at the magazine that day.  I was categorised with 61% full thickness burns (3rd degree in the old model) and took about 2 full years of rehabilitation to get back to some semblance of normal life.
  • Yeah, pretty much ancient history.  but clear as yesterday for me.  If anyone wanted an educational type input I would be more than happy to front up and talk about my experience.

15 years as a professional pyro technician.... two seconds to change my life.  Im a survivor.. not a victim...have lead a very successful life since this particular accident and have so much to be thankful for.... but yeah.. it was pretty much ancient history now.  :)

Wow thanks for your story. My tafe teacher said he knew one of the guys wondering if that was you. His name is Michael Sutton. Thanks 

Edited by lifeofsamage
Spelling

No.. not me... there were three of us.. Malcolm teaches music these days and may have connections in TAFE.  I moved into IT and our boss, Albert is semi retired now but still works on the odd movie from time to time.

Happened upon this thread through google and kind of blown away that all these years later people still know about this particular incident.  interested to know what context your Tafe teacher was speaking about to include our little incident?  :)