What would you spend $9m on?

Adam C

I know many people (who will ride pretty much anything else on the coast) who really hate GD as it is. it's a very polarising attraction.

is it worth dumping that much to retrofit an attraction into something that may scare the bejeebus out of even more people and reduce it's rider base even further?

*plus - if you had a different experience on both sides - that would force dreamworld to run both sides = not gunna happen. ;)

I know many people (who will ride pretty much anything else on the coast) who really hate GD as it is. it's a very polarising attraction.

is it worth dumping that much to retrofit an attraction into something that may scare the bejeebus out of even more people and reduce it's rider base even further?

*plus - if you had a different experience on both sides - that would force dreamworld to run both sides = not gunna happen. ;)

I know what your saying but both sides ran different when it opened.  The eastern side would drop then catch you and drop you again.  

I will ride the Giant Drop, but only once per trip up. It really does scare the shit out of me even after riding 4 times separately, whereas for every other ride on the coast I am completely unfazed.

I used to think the same for the aqualoop, but that doesn't even get me anymore, maybe I just need to go and ride the GD 6 times in a day or something.

Giant Drop I agree is polarising.  I was shocked last time I visited Dreamworld how short the queue for it was verses the other rides.  Of course I think that also to do with how isolated it is.  If you built another thrill ride near it (say in that grassy area next to Eureka) I suspect it'd get busier, but still, for one of the best thrill rides in the world (yeah I said it, sue me) it's short queue is very strange for me. 

You'd be shocked to hear if I were in charge of the parks most of what I'd spend the money on is on capacity things. 

At DW, 2 new trains for MDMC with Jet Rescue style seating and a re theme.  2 Trains for Cyclone with non earbashing restraints, and some cash to either reopen Eureka, or to gut the mountain and put a flat ride in there.

MW - a second train for Arkham and a 3rd for Superman (so there is always 2 trains avalible).  What ever is left over goes on developing the infrastructure in the land behind Scooby as a 'swing land' that can be repurposed as needed to house extra stuff for the night time events (so more Mazes for Halloween or the North Pole for Christmas).  Though you would have to reopen Lethal Alley for that to have any chance of succeeding and joining onto the back of Western Town.  So maybe a bit big a project.

SW - All that money into fixing the monorail.  Have a chat to someone about designing and building 3 new trains for it.  $9million might not be enough but I think its worth looking into.

In the pursuit of the ultimate thrill ride, yes, it's worth every dollar.

I know this is a 'what you wish for' post, so there isn't any wrong answers i guess, but it's kinda like when you spend 4 hours meticulously designing the most awesomest far out coaster you've ever seen in RCT3, and then when you open it, nobody wants to ride it. I appreciate the ride-styles are already in operation in your suggestion, but they're in parks that have far more variety (and capacity) to be able to target a niche market to say 'ours is the ultimate'. I agree it'd be a great ride, but I don't think it should be done to GD. IMO.

I know what your saying but both sides ran different when it opened.  The eastern side would drop then catch you and drop you again.  

I've seen videos of another drop ride do this - i think it had 6 gondolas, and 3 of them had a 'top' brake fin - i think on the video i saw it was called a 'psych out' drop. I never knew GD had it though.

SW - All that money into fixing the monorail.  Have a chat to someone about designing and building 3 new trains for it.  $9million might not be enough but I think its worth looking into.

You do love your monorail... ;)

Can we at least have air conditioning, an extended track, and maybe a few more stations?

Wouldn't it be awesome if they could get clearance to run the monorail out onto the other side of the spit, so you could see the beach? Or maybe run it all the way up to the end of the spit to the seaway? #dreams.

I've seen videos of another drop ride do this - i think it had 6 gondolas, and 3 of them had a 'top' brake fin - i think on the video i saw it was called a 'psych out' drop. I never knew GD had it though.

The first time I rode it I ended up on this side. I couldn't work out why when I was in the line people were saying I could go ahead of them.  GD had one for line for both gondolas so you weren’t meant to have a choice of which ride experience you had.  I would say that the east side gave you more of a get me off here experience then the west side for the first time rider because I think the first drop built the intensity up in your mind.

Giant Drop I agree is polarising.  I was shocked last time I visited Dreamworld how short the queue for it was verses the other rides.  Of course I think that also to do with how isolated it is.  If you built another thrill ride near it (say in that grassy area next to Eureka) I suspect it'd get busier, but still, for one of the best thrill rides in the world (yeah I said it, sue me) it's short queue is very strange for me. 

I agree with you here, I think DW has had lots of opportunities to spread the rides around but for most of the time keep packing them into one area. DW only have themselves to blame with the falling riders on the vintage cars.  Why would you put a ride in the middle of nowhere and expect people to go yea I might go for a half an hour walk to ride this and be attacked by misquotes.  DW have put in many rides since the VC was moved and have given no thought to getting more traffic to this area.

When I’m at a park and I see a ride with a short line on busy day I will normally ride it.  But how would I ever know that no one is riding the vintage cars if I’m too lazy to go and have a look.

My thoughts are if make people move around more then you are going to reduce time people are stuck in a line.  But you have to make it worth the trip with more than just one ride.

So to get back on topic I would make the quite areas of the parks more attractive to visit.

Edited by skeetafly

You do love your monorail... ;)

Can we at least have air conditioning, an extended track, and maybe a few more stations?

I'd settle for new trains or a complete rebuild of the current fleet with air conditioning retrofitted and the ability for them to run faster. It's kind of pathetic when it takes 20+ minutes to get around the circuit and by the time it gets to the resort station it is packed full of park guests stranding many resort guests on the platform. I mean first come first served sure, but isn't one of the selling points of the resort the ability to catch the monorail into the park therefore making it easier?

I will ride the Giant Drop, but only once per trip up. It really does scare the shit out of me even after riding 4 times separately, whereas for every other ride on the coast I am completely unfazed.

I used to think the same for the aqualoop, but that doesn't even get me anymore, maybe I just need to go and ride the GD 6 times in a day or something.

I agree. GD scares the shit out of me.

AW- One of these 3: build a new kids coaster so they can get rid of Dragon Express for good, a Larson Drop Tower to replace Freefall or give Water Mountain an overhaul.

DW- One of these 3: Refurb Cyclone and give it new trains and paint, reopen Eureka or demolish and replace with Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster.

SW- Build a new ride in the old Sea Viper and Pirate space.

MW- Refurb Superman.

LPS- Build a new Big Dipper in some way.

I've ridden the GD many times and everytime I go on it, my heart races like crazy. I don't think they need to do anything to the ride, besides fix up the queue line. I think some theming should be added to the vintage cars, even if it's just some old machinery. I think the park need to do what everyone keeps on saying, fix cyclone, replace/reopen eureka and new trains for MDMC. 

Regarding MW, I don't think they need to returb SE, yes the theming could be improved within the queue line, but nothing major. I do agree a 2nd train should be purchased for AA. The queue line area isn't that much, and if it's queued back to the do it can take about 2hrs, that's rediculous. 

SW, with the new kids area, it will be a great addition to the park. Next they need to do something with the old SV site, and I agree on the new monorails.

WnW GC, I don't think anything major needs to be done, besides maybe another slide in H2O Zone

WWW, more slides

I do agree a 2nd train should be purchased for AA. The queue line area isn't that much, and if it's queued back to the do it can take about 2hrs, that's rediculous.

I know that some other Vekoma SLCs run with 2 trains. Is the block system to run multiple trains already installed on the ride and just not being used, or would they have to install a new system to get 2 trains to work?