Concept Art

I've tried my best to find examples of concept art in the Australia parks, and I'll share most of what I've found. I find it really interesting to see concept art, not only to see what could have been but to also improve my own skills when it comes to sketching.

There's plenty more out there, such as a pretty extensive concept map of Movie World. I'll add more once I find more!

I just wish there was video footage available of most of our rides (past and present) in regards to their theming and queuing areas when they first opened. I missed the early days of the Buzzsaw and Cyclone when they had story videos playing in the queue lines, had more visual and audio effects, looked brand spanking new etc. And whilst I did experience some of them in their "opening" days, I have only mere memories of what the Giant Drop & original TOT's queue line experiences used to be like, along with many others.

I've searched you tube numerous times over for early footage of such rides, but all the videos that date back to 8 years ago (which seems to be the earliest, I guess people didn't see the need to video things so much back then when YT and social media hadn't taken off yet) only feature direct on ride or off-ride footage, nothing else.

It's a shame nobody thought to film the entire ride experience for archive purposes <_<

ETA: This is the sort of thing I mean, videos like this. There should be one for every ride! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVRBdJ6q960

Edited by OceanGirl

I defiently feel that the proposed lazy river and new tower for a couple more slides is really essential. You can see in the drawings that the  a slide similar to the triple vortex was proposed for a new tower. I think that if the park were to expand into the gravel carpark/storage space behind the little rippers, then they would install a couple of new attractions/slides at once. Hopefully they do this in the next couple of years, the park really needs it.

I know it would mean extreme disturbance in the park for guests, but if they're going with Lazy River - they need to have it twist and wind its way through the existing park, so it can be used as a transport attraction rather than just a lazy river cordoned off in one corner of the park.

While it's not all concept art, I've found some very interesting resources about the conception of Warner Bros Movie World (most of which I'm presuming that many of you have seen)

In that piece from Channel 7, they show the original map drawn up by CV Wood himself. I've seen the still images online (I believe it was MiceChat?) but I can't seem to be able to find them anymore. If anyone finds them, could you please post them here?

• 3 months later...

^The reason they got rid of it was because, particularly in Summer it was really hot in the space. If the enclosed the queue line, then they could have installed air conditioners. But the themed queue area was narrow and confined. They opened up the big door at the end to try and increase airflow, and it did help, but it was still hot in the confined space. For a while it was just blocked off, and on my last visit it was removed, but no queue rails had been installed.