Rocky Hollow Flume Dinosoaurs?

lessofkess

Hi all!

So, I wasn't around during the openings of allot of the classic rides at Dreamworld such as Rocky Hollow, and Eureka Moutain (in which I've never see active), however I still have quite a spark of interest around the original themeing and function of rides and such.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Rocky Hollow was actually like when it was fully functioning? Were the dinosaurs that still reside in the ride today actually apart if it when it first opened? And finally, why is Rocky hollow so separate from the Town of Gold rush? I would have imagined it be better suited to that area. 

Thanks all! 

Are you referring to the Thunder River Rapids ride? As Rocky Hollow is the area that houses the Log Ride & the Giant Drop... and it only has a couple of skeletons as theming, no dinosaurs.

The River Rapids ride has a triceratops (only dinosaur) and a crocodile, but no, it hasn't always been there. There used to be elephants - a mother and baby - that used to squirt water at you when the raft went past. I think there was a couple of other african/jungle themed animals as well but I don't remember all that well. Was pretty young at the time lol.

I posted the above video last year which shows some of the original theming elements of the Thunder River Rapids. There also used to be a T-Rex in the dark cave at the start and maybe some other dinosaurs (mysterious cave) followed by the Jungle area in the above video (Jungle Girl not included). Video from Young Talent Time go to Dreamworld in 1987.

Oh no, I was referring to the Rocky hollow area, there's a triceratops located in one of the tunnel portions of the ride, I always wondered what was going on there? But thanks for the incite into TRR anyway :D

Are you referring to the Thunder River Rapids ride? As Rocky Hollow is the area that houses the Log Ride & the Giant Drop... and it only has a couple of skeletons as theming, no dinosaurs.

Oh no, I was referring to the Rocky hollow area, there's a triceratops located in one of the tunnel portions of the ride, I always wondered what was going on there? But thanks for the incite into TRR anyway :D

I'm not aware of the log ride having dinosaurs accept for the triceratops which has now moved to river rapids.

Rocky hollow is separate from gold rush country as gold rush country and rocky hollow weren't built at the same time and because river rapids do require a lot of room. 

Tunnel portion of what ride, exactly? You aren't making much sense, dude... do you mean the Log Ride? As it's the only ride in the Rocky Hollow area other than the Giant Drop, and it doesn't contain any dinosaurs. The Thunder River Rapids in the Gold Rush area is the only ride in the park that DOES contain a dinosaur, the said Triceratops I believe you've been referring to.

The Log Ride has a couple of tunnel parts but they contain sawmill theming, like a buzzsaw, logs etc..... no dinosaurs. And the Giant Drop only has giant skeletons.

The Log Ride did used to have a Triceratops above you at the end of a tunnel (it's at 2:48 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLWs1Ekgd4). I haven't been on the ride in a couple of years, so it seems from what people have said, it has been removed.

According to DW's park map, the Rocky Hollow area and Gold Rush Country are just one area now and is just named Gold Rush Country.

Edited by themagician

Sorry for the confusion all!

And thankyou you for all the incites into how the park used to be! 

What at I meant was, why was there a random Triceritops in the tunnel portion of the Log Flume? Does anyone know, was it apart of an old attraction, or randomly there for no reason whatsoever?

Again, sorry for the confusion! :lol:

Tunnel portion of what ride, exactly? You aren't making much sense, dude... do you mean the Log Ride? As it's the only ride in the Rocky Hollow area other than the Giant Drop, and it doesn't contain any dinosaurs. The Thunder River Rapids in the Gold Rush area is the only ride in the park that DOES contain a dinosaur, the said Triceratops I believe you've been referring to.

The Log Ride has a couple of tunnel parts but they contain sawmill theming, like a buzzsaw, logs etc..... no dinosaurs. And the Giant Drop only has giant skeletons.

The Log Ride did/does have a triceratops in one of the buildings you go through, its on a platform above the ride and you can see it for a couple of seconds... its pretty random but it is, or was definitely there.

Been gone for I'd say close on a year now 

Well that would explain it... we've had our passes since the beginning of the year, so I was sure I hadn't missed anything in that time. It would've had to have been older event than that.

I 'm guessing it's been a while since the OP visited Dreamworld last.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever happened to the T-Rex in the first cave of Thunder River Rapids  Ride? Is he still there but just no longer functional and sitting in the dark? I definitely remember the elephants, the crocodiles ( which are now back) but I swear there used to be two owls on a branch just before you exited the first cave and I'm sure there was something else just before the raft escalated up the ramp. Does anyone remember this? 

The T-Rex was on the left hand side in direction of travel, wasn't it? I swear he's sitting there in the dark ( He's Australia's Disco Yeti- without the strobe lights ) when I go on the ride I always get that feeling that it's still in there. Also, is that a cockatoo in the cave at Rocky Hollow?