Is it possible to get bored in a theme park?

pushbutton

I often think that ride operators must surely get extremely bored with their jobs. In particular, the way they have to continuously tell guests the same few simple safety rules over and over and over.

The rules they tell guests are very clearly communicated by signs, and sometimes by recorded messages too. However the average IQ of the general public being what it is, I suppose they do need to be told by the operators too.

I don't think I could cope with having to repeat myself all day every day.

Has anyone here had experience doing this? If so how did you manage with the repetition?Do you think that is a major reason for people leaving their jobs at theme parks?

One last question for anybody. Do you think there is a better way these safety messages could be delivered, without staff having to repeat themselves quite so much?

Having just left a job at a major tourist attraction in Melbourne in which the hours were slow, the visitation was low and the loading procedure was mundane, I can vouch for the boredom factor. However, if the same attraction had a constant flow of guests and faster load/unload times I would probably be much more inclined to stick around. 

Different types of work appeal to different types of people I guess, I definitely would've enjoyed it more had it been fast paced.

I've got a couple of friends who have worked at DW operating the rides. They said that they did enjoy it, and most of the staff were good to work with, and when they got to see kids be really happy before/after the ride it made their job pleasing. They said that the morning was always better on a ride because you weren't bored, but a fews hours in it could start to drag, depending on how busy it was. But because there are these pressure sensors on the ride control panel, if they took there hand off, or their was less pressure then the ride would stop (I know this was the case for some of the smaller flat rides, don't know about the thrill rides). They said that they often would get the guests who would complain about things because their child was too small, etc. And the people who wouldn't listen and could affect their safety, etc. But overall they said they had good experiences, it wasn't the most exciting job all the time, but they always tried to make it as fun as possible.

I used to coach staff on spiels at Wonderland. I think it's great when leads\supervisors allow operators and spielers to 'be creative' within limits. Come up with some fun different variations and rotate them around. 

But yes, it would be possible to get bored - especially in parks where staff aren't permitted to deviate from the script... 

I can't see it being much different to many service sector jobs.

Welcome to McDonald's, may I take your order?

I've found my experiences to be a bit of a mix bag. If it's a slow day with minimal customers, it gets really boring. When it starts to pick up pace and you're on your feet then it starts to become more enjoyable. Could this relate to ride operators as well? I guess so. Some days you may not be 100%. Others you may be thinking it's the best ever. Same as any job really. 

I used to coach staff on spiels at Wonderland. I think it's great when leads\supervisors allow operators and spielers to 'be creative' within limits. Come up with some fun different variations and rotate them around. 

But yes, it would be possible to get bored - especially in parks where staff aren't permitted to deviate from the script... 

I love it when ops change up the spiel a bit. Even tiny little additions or changes can make more of an experience for me. 

But come on, why would you want to staff enjoy themselves and have fun in a theme park! That's just crazy talk

To be honest, I think you have more chance of staff getting bored on walkthrough/horror attractions (especially Laser Tag type of attractions such as Zombie Evilution at Dreamworld). There are so many rules to state and run through for each and every group. This varies though as it is a whole lot of fun for the actor's inside!

Since Create Your Taste my interraction with staff at McDonalds has been limited to table service when the food is ready.

As for being bored at a theme park, I think it would be possible but the only reason why someone would be is because of their own doing. Anyone who stands around looking bored or disinterested probably shouldn't be in that job.