MW Fright Nights period during the day

Mort

• 2 weeks later...

It really is a very big waste of space right now. I agree they do some wonderful things with the stage for FN - but it's about the only time each year it gets utilised.

It's time (as we've long discussed) for the show stage to receive a makeover - book a contract with a performer (magic\stunt\etc), do something a la Universal's Movie Magic show, or demolish it and put an attraction in.

personally i'm in favour of the performer aspect - either Western Stunt show (which really needs an open air stage IMHO) or an illusionist. I know it doesn't really have any great movie tie-in (well you could if you tried) - but Millennium Magic \ Spellbinding Sorcery was always something i could watch again and again. I'd love to see MW do something like that.

I think they should build a year round haunted attraction or even a special fx makeup show etc. they could still use the space for fright nights mazes. 

This would be a good move, utilizing the space for a maze during FN period. Similar to Universal's House of Horrors and how they used the space for Face Off maze during Horror Nights. 

Edited by maxito

^Not sure. I would say a maze fitting with the theme of Wild West of some sort or theme up the whole surrounding area to something completely different. The maze could include scares from a mix of animatronics and scare actors. Not sure if it would necessarily work but a good way to efficiently use the space in between Fright Nights.

Edited by maxito

Adding this type of walk-through attraction to the park on a permanent basis does not make sense.

Mazes for FN are specifically done for an audience paying additional entry fees, which allows them to hire on scare actors temporarily.

Adding this kind of experience to the regular park line up would be incredibly labour-intensive (wage costs), without getting any additional revenue at the gate.

I also feel like scare actors working the same shift day after day would lose their lustre after a while too. There's only so many ways to say "boo". You'd get used to the maze very quickly if you visited often enough, which would mean the scares wouldn't work (Of course - they could change the maze up every so often, but that too comes at a cost)

Contrast this with a stage stunt or illusion show - they're the sorts of things (PASS, MM etc...) that you can go to again and again, and enjoy even though you'd seen it before... not to mention that things like stunt and illusion shows you can change the lineup, insert new gags \ illusions etc to keep things fresh and unexpected.

Adding this type of walk-through attraction to the park on a permanent basis does not make sense.

Mazes for FN are specifically done for an audience paying additional entry fees, which allows them to hire on scare actors temporarily.

Adding this kind of experience to the regular park line up would be incredibly labour-intensive (wage costs), without getting any additional revenue at the gate.

I also feel like scare actors working the same shift day after day would lose their lustre after a while too. There's only so many ways to say "boo". You'd get used to the maze very quickly if you visited often enough, which would mean the scares wouldn't work (Of course - they could change the maze up every so often, but that too comes at a cost)

Contrast this with a stage stunt or illusion show - they're the sorts of things (PASS, MM etc...) that you can go to again and again, and enjoy even though you'd seen it before... not to mention that things like stunt and illusion shows you can change the lineup, insert new gags \ illusions etc to keep things fresh and unexpected.

Obviously you haven't heard of The House of Horrors at Universal Studios and Draculas / Draculas Haunted House. 

I think Brad's response came from the way you worded your own "obviously, you haven't....."

I have, but as Brad points out - Universal do far higher attendance that can support such an attraction cost, and Draculas are a destination marketing that wholly and solely - in addition to an admission charge JUST for that product, rather than an all-inclusive gate price such as MW.

It's fine to talk about what would be a nice attraction... but let's be feasible and realistic. It'd be nice for MW to beat SFMM's record and have the most coasters of any park in the world... but the park just can't support that.... so it's not going to happen.

I see your point. Actors would get bored easily. That's why investing in Animatronics would be handy. Dracula's did it and still entertains. But it could defeat the purpose of Fright Nights. Just a thought. 

I think Brad's response came from the way you worded your own "obviously, you haven't....."

I wasn't being hostile or downright rude. I was being legit honest. Maybe you haven't heard of it. I know people who have never heard of The Big Pineapple or Underwater World. Everyone needs to take it easy. 

The words you chose to use, as opposed to, say "are you aware that at Universal..." Made you sound like you were being either a straight up smart ass, or big noting yourself. 

Saying 'you obviously haven't...' is a critical assumption, which in this forum when talking to long term members is stupid, hence my comment.

Dracula's Haunted House in surfers is good cheesy fun, but there is no scare actors, or even supervision for that matter (just CCTV cameras).

The House of Horrors at Universal was OK. Whenever I did it, there was virtually no scare actors in there and eventually it closed.

Liseberg's Hotel Gasten is a good example of a really good year round haunted walk through with really good sets and scare actors, though this one is an upcharge on top of wristband admission.

I personally don't think this would work for Movie World. A really good Ghost Train or Haunted Mansion type attraction might be work, even within MW's budget - the more I think about it, they could do something really nice.

Are you saying that because they have a rollercoaster themed to a movie that has a ghost train, that they couldn't do a haunted mansion?

That's like saying Dreamworld shouldn't have bought shockwave, because they already had Claw... #ohwait.

Rather than a "haunted" mansion, i'd love to see them do something akin to Mystic Manor in Hong Kong. Original storyline, memorable soundtrack, cute side-kick. Hong Kong took a slant on the traditional haunted mansion as ghosts and the like aren't very popular attractions in chinese culture - so instead they went with something more supernatural and "magical"... if you haven't been there - check out the ride on Youtube.

Given their relationship with Sally Corp, I feel comfortable they could do something similar to Mystic Manor - so long as they keep the effects maintained, on a lower budget. It doesn't have to be a clone, nor does it have to be scary - it can just be fun... inserting another 'all age family' ride into a park that is sorely lacking it... but not TOO childish (a la Big Red Car) so it's actually enjoyable. If Sally can master the 'randomised path finder' you could insert a couple of different paths \ stories for the ride to take, which in turn would add to the re-rideability.

You've got two choices - clear the rest of Toon ride's stage (behind JDS) and put it there (maintenance will have to find\build a different storage area), or level ShowStage, and theme it western... (Riley's Ranch or something)...