Gold Coast almost got Disneyland.

New display name

image.thumb.jpg.ec38c3767dc9f097f24d5930Interesting story on the Gold Coast Bulletin site  today when Disneyland was almost secured to be built on the Gold Coast.  I will paste it on here when I get to my computer.  What I found interesting was the numbers that they had projected to go through the doors.   Plans were drawn up for it and the person behind it still wants it to go ahead one day.   Gives me hope that one day it could happen but with Disneyland a lot closer now I just don't know.  

Edited by skeetafly

Was it that important to you to be the thread starter that you just couldn't wait until you got home in case someone else created the thread? If you have a phone capable of posting on the forum, you have a phone capable of copying and pasting an article, or at least a link to the article. 

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/entertainment/how-the-gold-coast-almost-became-the-happiest-place-on-earth/story-fnj94hgr-1227513359485

The lion-hearted man behind the mouse-eared plan, Runaway Bay-based developer Gordon McAlister, said the 1990s deal was down to formalities when Disney chief executive Michael Eisner pulled out.

“We got to the last meeting in Burbank, California, when Michael Eisner stepped in and said ‘No, I want to go to China’.

“We estimated about five million visitors each year, which is small for Disney but huge for us. That was one of the arguments against us, that we would be too small — and yet that’s exactly what Hong Kong Disney turns over.

I bet the local parks are breathing a sigh of relief. I would love a Disney park in Australia, even a small one. However, Disney plays to win and usually kills the competition eventually.

yea me too.   We have to remember DW & MV are big companies now and have a lot of money available to them if they needed.  It is not like back when DW was owned by one person.  But it has always come back to getting enough people in the gates. 

Ocean Park in Hong Kong, and Universal Studios and Sea World seem to do quite well with the mouse in town.  Hell Knott's would be a small fairly uninteresting regional park anywhere else in the states, but being next to Disneyland makes it an international attraction.

Really couldn't see 5million at Dosneyland in Australia though.  3 maybe but 5 million with our population is a bridge too far IMHO

I think Eisner made a good decision not to build Disneyland in Australia. At that time in the 1990's, Australia would be too small  of a country to back something in the scale of a Disneyland, despite the amount of tourism we get. In the future, Australia should be looked at by Disney for a park since Australia has a massive tourism industry, our population is steadily growing (Sydney alone is expected to have another 1million residents in 10 years), and massive infrastructure projects are being developed as we speak (ie Badgerys Creek airport, major transport and hospital upgrades) that will back Sydney's rapid population growth. With all this development going on, Australia could in the future be viable for Disneyland.

I remember a few years back a friend of mine went for an interview at DW and was told that a Disneyland was in the plans, and could have an affect on the park, which may result in the people being hired to loose their jobs.

your friend lied. 

This 'proposal' was near on 20 years ago. 

DW would also not be telling people at interviews, where they are hiring more staff, that they may be layed off due to disneyland opening.