Wonderland Sydney 2.0

Troy81

Actually, there's currently a Fuck-Tonne of road works happening on Richmond Rd to make it less shit. There's the Ikea for starters which caused this, followed by the Costco opening in a few months. And not too far down the road is what i believe will either be housing or a Stockland. I no longer work in Penrith so i cant answer that part. But with the recent work done Richmond Road's no longer shit until you actually get closer to Windsor. Once you hit John Moroney and the roundabout is where it goes to hell now (and as usual). I no longer put the road in the same category as Parramatta Road, infact id say there's more traffic on a Saturday in the Hills Shire compared to the entirety of Richmond Rd.

Ikea and Costco.

So the road was shit. two giant mega-box retailers choose that as their location - and naturally, they have to upgrade the road to cope.

I'll guarantee the plans approved will probably only bring the road up to scratch WITHOUT those two retailers, so it'll still be shit.

Except now, it'll be shit in the morning during peak hour, and in the evening during peak hour, AS WELL AS on the weekend when everyone goes to the warehouses, and in the middle of weekdays when the warehouses receive thousands of trucks delivering stock.

Oh and no doubt Costco is building Costco Gasoline in this one too? So you can bet every car for at least 30-50ks around will go there for fuel instead of their local - good for petrol prices, bad for congestion.

No - the upgrades won't help the current stores, and they're not going to upgrade again immediately just to build Wonderland.

It's not going out that way. Guarantee it.

^That was kinda the point i was trying to make though - Boundary road is still shit. it's one lane across the highway, and for a few hundred metres prior. it clogs the road. Anzac avenue wasn't much better - and they've put in what seems like 5 or 6 lanes on the southbound onramp now to cope.

Of course, we can just blame it on Stockland for the monstrosity that is North Lakes to begin with, but realistically, the current state of Boundary road is what should have been there before costco was even thought of. What is needed now is a much bigger expansion, which I think is currently the subject of a 'possible election promise'

8 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Of course, we can just blame it on Stockland for the monstrosity that is North Lakes to begin with, but realistically, the current state of Boundary road is what should have been there before costco was even thought of. What is needed now is a much bigger expansion, which I think is currently the subject of a 'possible election promise'

Work has started, albeit slowly. There are endangered species in the creek to the north, as well as a few technical issues to overcome, like putting HV electricity cables under the highway, as Energex no longer puts new feeds over highways. Apparently people don't like them shutting the highways down during maintenance :).

• 1 month later...

check out the Odyssey Parks & Resorts website for their plans for the "Worlds of Wonder" consisting of the  Sydney’s Wonderlands theme park, Sydney’s Wilderlands theme park, Sydney’s “Water Lands”- Resort Hotels & Water Parks and Sydney’s Wonderfest Entertainment Complex.

http://www.odysseyparksresorts.com/?cat=15

wow this is gonna be huge!

• Richard changed the title to Wonderland Sydney 2.0

Well its a little more detailed, and the artist renderings look far better - but a browse of the whole site shows some of the same imagery on other pages - such as a proposal to bring back Jazzland (SF New Orleans). Having seen the devastation of SFNO, I can't imagine why anyone would want to build there again...

Either way its much better than the original sydney's wonderland website. here's hoping we see a fully fleshed out website in the near future, rather than a wordpress site.

9 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

'US millionaire property developer, Ammar Khan... Mr Khan worked at Wonderland for nine years'.

Give me strength! Why won't this go away?

Why would you want it to go away? There seems to be a lot of haters here against this guy and what he is doing, I'm not sure why. Being a theme park forum I would have thought this would have been welcome news for most fans.

Anyway on a positive note I like how they're planning to have sections of the park dedicated to the old theme park.

'Some of the areas of the park are styled to themes that were once found in the original Wonderland theme park, including Transylvania, Botany Bay and the Gold Rush Country'

^Says who?

I'm not a fan of people who think all theme parks should be on the GC. I just look at the wonderful things Mark has done at Adventure World and think that every capital city in Australia should have this. 

Hats off to anyone willing to stick their necks out for even the possibility of a park.

I don't think people are haters and against it. Just that from the beggining a lot of holes have been punched in this proposal, which makes a lot of people skeptical. 

If this put forward by VRTP you'd be more optimistic, but even they've had set backs, African Safari World anyone?!

People have responded a lot better to the Wanda proposal and they haven't said anything concrete other than they'd like to build one. But that's because the credentials of that company stack up far better than this one. 

1 hour ago, Original said:

I don't think people are haters and against it. Just that from the beggining a lot of holes have been punched in this proposal, which makes a lot of people skeptical. 

If this put forward by VRTP you'd be more optimistic, but even they've had set backs, African Safari World anyone?!

People have responded a lot better to the Wanda proposal and they haven't said anything concrete other than they'd like to build one. But that's because the credentials of that company stack up far better than this one. 

THIS. It's just some guy's fantasy.

Plus, I also find the proposal itself (ignoring its total, total lack of credibility for a second) really weird. A theme park based on a defunct (and very average/underwhelming) theme park, even reincorporating some of the same themed lands? Just weird.

Edited by GoGoBoy

1 hour ago, GoGoBoy said:

Plus, I also find the proposal itself (ignoring its total, total lack of credibility for a second) really weird. A theme park based on a defunct (and very average/underwhelming) theme park, even reincorporating some of the same themed lands? Just weird.

I don't know how often you visited Wonderland but as a local I was a frequent visitor from it's first year of operations purchasing an annual pass every year.  I would never have called it an underwhelming park & believe me, I have seen many around the world to compare it too. It was without doubt the best theme park NSW has ever seen IMHO & hardly underwhelming in any way at all.

Edited by DisneyDoll

Just asking a question. What ever happened to Space Probe. Was it moved to a different location when it was closed or was it just demolished?

Also after searching up the ride. It says that the ride had a top speed of 120kmh even though the ride was 67m tall. The DW Giant Drop on the other hand is about twice as tall and goes 135kmh...only 15km faster

SP must've had a much quicker drop acceleration. Shame it closed so young, looked like fun

Edited by coasterdude44

2 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

Just some guys fantasy huh, lets see you eat your words when more news is announced and we get closer to development.

57 minutes ago, coasterdude44 said:

Just asking a question. What ever happened to Space Probe. Was it moved to a different location when it was closed or was it just demolished?

According to Wonderland history website...

"The Space Probe was sent to Sunway Lagoon in Kuala Lumpur, but was never erected. It still sits un-erected in a nearby paddock.
The reason for this is the cost associated with the concrete footings required, and the cost to upgrade the ride."

4 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

I agree with you, the proposal is just a pipedream.. What are we, 3 years now since it was first proposed? Still not concrete financing, land, anything really that shouts "we're committed to this going ahead". 

I however strongly disagree with your opinion on Wonderland. Similar to DisneyDoll I spent the majority of my youth/teens as a Wonderpass holder, and the park was impressive at its prime. I wonder how often you visited, and whether these visits were prior to it being run into the group? It was a true full day themed Park that catered for all age groups. Would absolute love to have been able to take my son to experience it. The Bush Beast, IMO, remains in the top 5 rides ever to grace our shores