Sea World maintenance

pushbutton

I think SeaWorld needs a complete overhaul  they have removed most of the draw cards they had as far as theme park attractions go that made it interesting for thrill seekers  Bermuda corkscrew pirate ship cable car  ect I think they need to gut out the water park there's 2 very large water parks already in the area why bother really TBH  put in at least 2 or 3 new nautical themed  thrill flat rides and they need a decent coaster with inversions  possibly relocate a few other attractions to make space and the overall theme flow better in the park if they keep removing old attractions it will Just end up an aquarium and sea life  zoo park with a monorail and a random coaster lol 

31 minutes ago, Themeparkfan said:

I think SeaWorld needs a complete overhaul  they have removed most of the draw cards they had as far as theme park attractions go that made it interesting for thrill seekers  Bermuda corkscrew pirate ship cable car  ect I think they need to gut out the water park there's 2 very large water parks already in the area why bother really TBH  put in at least 2 or 3 new nautical themed  thrill flat rides and they need a decent coaster with inversions  possibly relocate a few other attractions to make space and the overall theme flow better in the park if they keep removing old attractions it will Just end up an aquarium and sea life  zoo park with a monorail and a random coaster lol 

Your keyboard does have one of these, doesn't it?

kb.thumb.jpg.e694f9225cd9da4d23ae7f56660

I've long thought that most of the pathways throughout Sea World are far from an ideal layout.

As a starting point, I wish they'd open those stupid white low level gates that used to only be closed when the miniature train was coming through. Now there's no train but they're closed all the time, which forces everyone to go through the nearby food court.

I realise that's the whole idea (to try to encourage people to spend on food / drinks or the sideshow games), but honestly I think they could do the decent thing and get rid of the gates, and give people a clearer path to walk through the park. Those who want to find food and drinks or sideshow games will have no difficulty doing so!

Longer term it would be ideal if they were to create a pathway on the other side of the lake (with a few attractions on that side to draw people across to it).

They could do this now with the reclaimed land they have from the lake. Maybe that is the long term plan.

That way the park would have a cicular, rather than its current linear layout which would spread the crowds out a lot more evenly and make it feel like a much bigger park to explore.

As for the stupid pathway they've created for the Storm coaster. Don't get me started on that but it really couldn't be much worse!

Edited by pushbutton

6 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

As a starting point, I wish they'd open those stupid white low level gates that used to only be closed when the miniature train was coming through. Now there's no train but they're closed all the time, which forces everyone to go through the nearby food court.

Welcome to the great gate debate of 2013-14

If they were to create a few attractions on that side of the park (on the reclaimed land and where Sea Viper was) they could also open an additional monorail station half way along that side, which would again get people moving and spreading around the park more. Although if they did that I'd like to see them return to a minimum of 2 monorails running at all times, and 3 on busier days, otherwise the wait at any of the stations could be unacceptable.

1 hour ago, pushbutton said:

If they were to create a few attractions on that side of the park (on the reclaimed land and where Sea Viper was) they could also open an additional monorail station half way along that side, which would again get people moving and spreading around the park more. Although if they did that I'd like to see them return to a minimum of 2 monorails running at all times, and 3 on busier days, otherwise the wait at any of the stations could be unacceptable.

they only have 2 monorail sets now they scrapped the 3erd set for parts a few years ago

Edited by JeffreyMoore

26 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I'm aware of that.

Doesn't mean they can't get another though.

Seems unlikely when you consider the history of all the Von Roll monorails. It's so much easier to demolish the tracks altogether and replace them with trams like they did at Jurong Bird Park and Sentosa. At least Von Roll is still in business.

30 minutes ago, iwerks said:

Seems unlikely when you consider the history of all the Von Roll monorails. It's so much easier to demolish the tracks altogether and replace them with trams like they did at Jurong Bird Park and Sentosa. At least Von Roll is still in business.

Not sure what point you're trying to make but it seems unnecessarily negative to me. I'm the customer. I love monorails, so if they want my business they should invest in their monorail. Simple!

I'd be very interested to see what the cost would be to get new rolling stock.  Give Bombardar or Intamin a call, it'd cost a bit, but there are a few other von roll systems nearing the end of their lives, perhaps other owners might go in on the r&d costs.  I think given the importance of the monorail to the park in terms of transportation and as a link to the resort I think it'd be worth spending quite a lot of money, particularly since it's of the few remaining true family rides left in the park.  Two trains running reliably at speed should be the goal.

5 hours ago, pushbutton said:

I've long thought that most of the pathways throughout Sea World are far from an ideal layout.

I realise that's the whole idea (to try to encourage people to spend on food / drinks or the sideshow games), but honestly I think they could do the decent thing and get rid of the gates, and give people a clearer path to walk through the park. Those who want to find food and drinks or sideshow games will have no difficulty doing so!

Longer term it would be ideal if they were to create a pathway on the other side of the lake (with a few attractions on that side to draw people across to it).

They could do this now with the reclaimed land they have from the lake. Maybe that is the long term plan.

That way the park would have a cicular, rather than its current linear layout which would spread the crowds out a lot more evenly and make it feel like a much bigger park to explore.

As for the stupid pathway they've created for the Storm coaster. Don't get me started on that but it really couldn't be much worse!

Those gates are getting on in age.

2 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Not sure what point you're trying to make but it seems unnecessarily negative to me. I'm the customer. I love monorails, so if they want my business they should invest in their monorail. Simple!

Yeah, it's negative. I'm a big fan of monorails, but I've seen how easy it's been for parks to erase them at very little cost. At Jurong, the bird park's panorail lost its Cathay Pacific sponsorship and was erased from history within two years, pillars and all. Now, I want to be all positive and hope that SW is going to change its form and not eradicate the monorail like it's currently doing to the Skyway. Maybe they'll soldier on for another couple of years and replace it with a small Hitachi model, like the current Sentosa Express.

6 hours ago, djrappa said:

Yes and with an upgraded control system and new motor cars I wouldn't see why multiple trains running at high speed would be any sort of issue. 

Not at high speed please. The speed the monorails go at now is ideal!

4 hours ago, iwerks said:

Yeah, it's negative. I'm a big fan of monorails, but I've seen how easy it's been for parks to erase them at very little cost. At Jurong, the bird park's panorail lost its Cathay Pacific sponsorship and was erased from history within two years, pillars and all. Now, I want to be all positive and hope that SW is going to change its form and not eradicate the monorail like it's currently doing to the Skyway. Maybe they'll soldier on for another couple of years and replace it with a small Hitachi model, like the current Sentosa Express.

They need to do whatever is needed to maintain it as is. It's a vital part of the park as far as I'm concerned. 

They should be budgeting for proper maintenance, and that includes eventual replacement. 

24 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Not at high speed please. The speed the monorails go at now is ideal!

I disagree. A little faster won't hurt anybody.

I agree with everyone, the writing seems to almost be on the wall for the current system especially now that their 3rd train has been cannibalised for parts. It is an important part of the park though, so I do hope that whatever they do with the monorail going forward that it or something like it remains in the park. 

On the subject of Sea World and its transport systems, does anyone know what happened to the second diesel train that they had, and the set of carriages that went with it? I have seen the red engine on display in the station, but haven't seen the blue one since they were removed from under Sea Viper prior to demolition.

I am struggling to comprehend why Sea World didn't get a couple of spare monorail parts from the Sydney monorail when it was stupidly and unnecessarily ripped to pieces by the morons in the NSW government a few years ago. 

From what I've heard they were in perfect working condition, and could have been had very cheap. 

5 hours ago, pushbutton said:

I am struggling to comprehend why Sea World didn't get a couple of spare monorail parts from the Sydney monorail when it was stupidly and unnecessarily ripped to pieces by the morons in the NSW government a few years ago. 

From what I've heard they were in perfect working condition, and could have been had very cheap. 

that is true and who knows maybe vrtp did buy spear parts etc from the nsw government but the fact they scrapped the 3erd set for parts is most likely becouse parts are hard to come by or costly meaning the system will need new trains or replacement sometime in the future

Edited by JeffreyMoore

sorry push as a lifelong Sydney resident your view on the monorail was very much in the minority as most people here barely batted an eyelid when it got demolished as aside from the tourists no one else really used it. I remember riding it on a school excursion in primary school back in the early 90's and never rode it again much like the rest of Sydney it seemed.

Even then tourists usually only rode it once and that's it as it was essentially a gimmick for the tourists and not an actual viable transport system. Now days you wouldn't even know Sydney had a monorail system other than a few of the stations SBNO (particularly around Darling Harbour)

The money cost to keep it running simply wasn't worth it in the end.

As for Sea World's monorail while i've never ridden it (nor plan to) I understand the history it has in the park and is something unique for people to experience as it seems monorails are fairly rare these days around the world

22 minutes ago, DWP said:

sorry push as a lifelong Sydney resident your view on the monorail was very much in the minority as most people here barely batted an eyelid when it got demolished as aside from the tourists no one else really used it. I remember riding it on a school excursion in primary school back in the early 90's and never rode it again much like the rest of Sydney it seemed.

Even then tourists usually only rode it once and that's it as it was essentially a gimmick for the tourists and not an actual viable transport system. Now days you wouldn't even know Sydney had a monorail system other than a few of the stations SBNO (particularly around Darling Harbour)

The money cost to keep it running simply wasn't worth it in the end.

As for Sea World's monorail while i've never ridden it (nor plan to) I understand the history it has in the park and is something unique for people to experience as it seems monorails are fairly rare these days around the world

No offense intended, but that's one of the big differences between people in Sydney and those in Queensland, in my opinion!

But I did spend the last 20 odd years in Adelaide, which has even fewer fun things to do than Sydney. There are various reasons it took me so long to finally move to Queensland, but I certainly appreciate it now I'm here, having spent all that time in Adelaide.

I'll never take for granted the fact that I live in the best place on Earth!

Again though, not everyone will agree, and that's ok. I wouldn't want everyone in the world trying to cram into Queensland!