We need to educate PETA members

POP

Just got done watching Blackfish, it was a documentary about orca whales at SeaWorld in the U.S.

I know our local SeaWorld doesn't have orca whales but what about all the other animals they inhumanely hold captive in bath tubs for the rest of their lives…and for what? Our entertainment. It's sickening and we need to boycott! I for one will never be purchasing an annual Village Roadshow ticket again and will persuade as many people as i can until SeaWorld closes.

Edited by joz

I don't agree with keeping orcas in captivity. And I also have seen the Blackfish a couple of times. But I think what SW here on he GC does is different from the US SWs. The ones here on the GC have either been rescued and are no longer capable of returning to the wild, or were born in captivity. The Dolphins live in sandy bottom enclosures, which is much better than glass enclosures. Yes I don't agree with animal captivity if they are being mistreated or are forced to do tricks. But the Dolphins perform natural behaviours (just search on YouTube) and they don't do tricks through hoops or balls on their noses. I think the work SW GC does is great, and is an essential part for our sea life. As shown today they returned a dolphin to wild after being rescued 7 weeks ago. People continue to complain after SeaWorlds, but the same could be said about zoos. Animals are kept in enclosures. And some do tricks. But I believe that it is important to educate people about our wildlife and the importance of them. I have done some study at university on climate change, pollution, etc and some many species are endangered and are ending affected from human actions. It's with places like Sea World GC, Australia Zoo, etc people can be educated about wildlife and appreciate the animals beauty.

Sea World Australia has never been about Capturing Animals - in truth it has always been about  Rescue AND CONSERVATION! 

Sorry mate, I doubt you will win friend's here with this. For one,  can you tell me about a time when a tropical climate has assisted in the continuation of an endangered species such as the Polar bear?  

No I thought not 

I'm just going to leave this here...

http://goldcoastbulletin.com.au/lifestyle/pets-and-wildlife/the-truth-about-sea-world-gold-coast-theme-park-reveals-all-and-answers-critics/story-fnk74alk-1227179971254

I don't agree with the treatment of orcas but the solution isn't black and white despite what activists like Peta make it out to be nor is it going to happen overnight either. As for everything else, you should read the article, particularly the part where our sea world has virtually nothing to do with the American equivalent. 

There's a reason film is north koreas go to platform for propaganda. As a filmmaker myself I get to see first hand how malleable the platform is for delivering a message, no matter how one-sided that message might be, which, let's not beat around the bush, blackfish most certainly is.

Long story short, if you're looking for a boycott you've come to the wrong place my friend.

I actually had to study this film a little while back. I don't think that the captivity of Orcas is a good business practice, as well as the neglect that is brought onto those poor animals. But what I think you would find, if you actually chose to research the practices of Sea World Australia rather than make false assumptions, is that Sea World Australia not only prides itself on rehabilitation (as other posters have mentioned) but also the design of the facilities. Rather than just placing these creatures in a simple pool, Sea World tries to recreate their familiar environments. Don't believe me? Why don't you hope onto Google and just have a look at what Sea World has to say.

Boycott SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment all you want, but don't bring Village Roadshow into this due to the lack of information on your part

So how many of you are employees at SeaWorld then? 

tumblr_ni0u6mxheO1sicctoo1_250.gif

Ive swam with Dolphins out in the wild in Sydneys Botany Bay and they are beautiful, magnificent creatures who deserve the freedom to live their lives in the oceans of the world. Yet somehow people think its acceptable to hold them hostage in concrete baths for the rest of their lives for our entertainment?

As you know, SWUS and SWGC have absolutely nothing to do with each other, aside from the similar name.

You have watched Blackfish, and yes, keeping animals in captivity is bad, yet SWGC at least seem to rescue injured creatures with the view to setting them free again. Though I do see your point about a polar bear.

With that in mind, what about any kind of zoos? What about pets?

In any case, you've watched Blackfish which is the argument put forward by the activists. I suggest you read the article slick mentioned in order to make an informed opinion, because you're only getting one side:

http://goldcoastbulletin.com.au/lifestyle/pets-and-wildlife/the-truth-about-sea-world-gold-coast-theme-park-reveals-all-and-answers-critics/story-fnk74alk-1227179971254

If you care so much about these majestic creatures, why don't I pose you this question. Would you release a dolphin into the wild, who is unfit for survival in the wild?

Why take them out of the wild in the first place? Oh, for our "entertainment". 

As you know, SWUS and SWGC have absolutely nothing to do with each other, aside from the similar name.

You have watched Blackfish, and yes, keeping animals in captivity is bad, yet SWGC at least seem to rescue injured creatures with the view to setting them free again. Though I do see your point about a polar bear.

With that in mind, what about any kind of zoos? What about pets?

In any case, you've watched Blackfish which is the argument put forward by the activists. I suggest you read the article slick mentioned in order to make an informed opinion, because you're only getting one side:

The last time i went to Sea World, all the animals especially the Polar Bears look distressed and/or depressed. The Polar Bear enclosure is the WORST. It's dreadful. 

That link is nothing more than propaganda paid for by SeaWorld. They have a vested interest in spinning the line that everything is all fine n dandy since they profit from your ignorance.

And to my knowledge, very few of us work at SW. Just general people who are themepark enthusiasts.

If SW weren't doing the work they do, and had the same standards and enclosures as SWs in the US then I wouldn't support it. But everytime I go to SW GC and seeing the beautiful creatures it brings a smile to my face. Yes it may not be their natural environment, but they were born in captivity or are unhealthy, so therefore they wouldn't survive in the wild. Would you rather see the creatures die, or live a life in a protected environment, and helping educate us to help save the creatures in the wild.

You are entitied to your own opinion, and this is mine.

Edited by themagician

As a former animal care worker I feel pretty qualified to offer an opinion here.  I've never encountered any mis treatment of animals, I've never heard anyone suggest the mistreatment of animals.  I've never heard anyone say 'we can't spend the money on that' or 'that treatment is too expensive'

I've never heard anyone say 'we'll convince parks and wildlife to let us keep that animal' or 'everyone RSPCA are coming, shred those incriminating documents'

Sea World are very transparent with government agencies, and they provide facilities to parks and wildlife as needed.  They spent $2million on a quarantine centre that makes no money.  They fund research projects. They monitor their animals closely.  They had a mystery disease go through their fairy penguin population, and when they couldn't be certain they knew what the cause was, they built an entirely new exhibit.

The idea of boycotting the park based on misinformation spread by animal rights nutters about a different park is mental, and you are wrong.

So you're saying SWGC don't rescue animals, or that they plunder them for our entertainment? They never release them? They make them perform daily by withholding food and generally mistreat them?

Do you have anything to back up these claims? Blackfish is about a completely different company, after all.

The idea of boycotting the park based on misinformation spread by animal rights nutters about a different park is mental, and you are wrong.

People who care about the rights of animals are nutters? That says everything i need to know about you.

So you're saying SWGC don't rescue animals, or that they plunder them for our entertainment? They never release them? They make them perform daily by withholding food and generally mistreat them?

Do you have anything to back up these claims? Blackfish is about a completely different company, after all.

Don't kid yourself, SWGC is just a glorified so called "conservation" ZOO. The animals are still enclosed in tiny, inhumane pens for your entertainment. How are they any better than the USA SeaWorlds? 

You take their stories at face value and reject those made by the park itself. At the very least, until proven otherwise, both are as bad as each other.

Do you deny that SWGC does good work, rescuing sick or injured animals? If not, then how else do you expect it to make money? If so, please supply your proof.

Very well - close it down. Any rescuing that they did - well, tough, isn't it?

Happy?

You take their stories at face value and reject those made by the park itself. At the very least, until proven otherwise, both are as bad as each other.

Do you deny that SWGC does good work, rescuing sick or injured animals? If not, then how else do you expect it to make money? If so, please supply your proof.

SW GC shouldn't be making money at all, not off the torture of animals which can lead to a life long psychosis and other mental disorders. Oh but they're animals so they don't have feelings right?

Imagine if someone separated YOU from your family when you were 5 years old and stuck you in an enclosed bath for the rest of your life. Think about that.

SW GC shouldn't be making money at all, not off the torture of animals which can lead to a life long psychosis and other mental disorders. Oh but they're animals so they don't have feelings right?

Imagine if someone separated YOU from your family when you were 5 years old and stuck you in an enclosed bath for the rest of your life. Think about that.

Well how else do you expect SWGC to continue, without money? Money is the lifeblood of the world, for us humans at least. Want to eat? Drink? Get warm? Bathe? You need money.

SWGC have long maintained that they rescue animals, and attempt to let animals loose back into the wild whenever they can. If you have proof otherwise, please supply the relevant links etc and inform the rest of us.

When I was 5 I was taken to hospital for an injury. I stayed there for some time, stuck in a bed, then was let out when I was better. In principle, that is what SWGC is (at least supposed to be doing, I'll give you that one) doing with injured animals.

Ok got some news for you;

It doesn't happen.  It's illegal in Australia to catch Dolphins from the wild.  Has been since the mid 90's.  

Yes they make money.  So what?  They also invest money into research, rescue animals, and as much as is needed in the top level care of their own animals.  Thats not even going into greater environmental awareness people have after visiting the park.

I think it's worth noting too the whales in SWUS (the whole point of Blackfish) are kept in small enclosures. How do you see whales at  SWGC? Oh that's right you hope on a boat and go out to sea. Honest question, how are, as the GP, supposed to do our bit to save wildlife if we know nothing about it? That's why we have zoos and marine parks. There's this term called edutainment. Entertainment while learning. Have you seen the dolphin show before? It literally spends the duration of the show talking about the history of dolphins and facts about how and where they live. Is that what you call doing tricks for entertainment?

• joz locked this topic