'World Best' Attraction coming to VRTP

Brad2912

Ok, then a Harry Potter theme would probably be my preference of recent notable WB movies (although I've never actually watched any of the Harry Potter movies, but I imagine I'd like a ride based on them).

universal owns the theme parks rights to the potter series. It's also a little, past it, now. I know they are bringing out a new series in the same 'world' but i think the Potter boat has sailed.

i personally don't think we're seeing a woodie. Not based on any inside knowledge, it just doesn't seem the road MW would go down. I'm open to be pleasantly surprised. 

I also don't think we'll see a 'best in the world ride'. I think 'worlds best' was likely a throw away statement to say "we're building a great attraction", and I'm delivering our results today so this will create some hype. Maybe "amongst the best in the world" was probably along the lines he meant, with "best" being fairly ambiguous and open to personal interpretation. 

Maybe "amongst the best in the world" was probably along the lines he meant, with "best" being fairly ambiguous and open to personal interpretation. 

That was one of my thoughts when this news first dropped.

There isn't really an international standard for a "world's best attraction" since we all think different attractions qualify. Some may find " Escape from Gringotts" to fit the description while others may see it as "Twisted Colossus" or even a Mega-Lite. 

At the end of the day, at least we know that this new coaster isn't going to be horrible. 

The only problem I see with Mad Max is that it's not an entirely family friendly movie IP, would that discourage young teens.....i really don't know? I guess if Saw can be a successful movie IP for a coaster (Thorpe Park) anything is possible?

Not to mention MW also had a Lethal Weapon themed rollercoaster for many years. That movie series is hardly family friendly, nor did anyone really consider it to be a movie worthy of its own ride. Alas, apparently anything is indeed possible!

Tbh though the Mad Max movies don't really interest me, I've yet to sit through a full one. So I am hoping its a different theme. I loved the Jurassic World idea more, but yeah, I have a strong feeling that franchise is tightly locked into Universal Studios parks. 

Tbh I have nfi. I just hope its not another DC themed ride ?

I've spent the weekend looking over nearmap for Movie World (and it is DEFINITELY Movie World based on the BA) - as I see it there are two site options:

1. Entrance, opposite green lantern - potentially doing away with or modifying the Stars Cafe. Only issue is (due to the staff entranceway) that the land is only slightly bigger than the Green Lantern plot - which although great as a compact coaster is hardly enough room for something to be 'Worlds Best'
  2. The other is as already pointed out - the Western Area including ShowStage and the plot of land behind it, and I think that this is the most likely spot.

Now one must remember when looking at the land around that area that they are looking to build Soundstage 9 in that vicinity too (there is no other space around the studios to fit something that is as big as the existing stages, and the info suggests this will be the biggest of them all)

I'm very hopeful for a woodie as it's the best theme for the Western Area... However if the studios are hoping to be able to use SS9 as a drawcard for big productions in the future, they are not going to want a hulking great big woodie roaring past it...

A lot of speculation and not a lot of substance - this is going to be a long discussion - let's hope we see some teaser info soon so that we get some more fuel as I think the current suggestions are on the money - and anything else is going to be fanciful at best.

Lastly - and just my two cents - I don't think we need a specific IP attached to this ride, and anything they do attach will probably date (westerns don't keep currency like Scooby or Marvel or DC or Dreamworks) - it just needs to be well themed.

I hope whoever is working on the theming has their head on straight...

I've been thinking hard and don't know if a woodie would be seen as a "great" ride in Australia. I have all these visions of people without a clue posting on Facebook how Movie World is building an "old" ride. I'm not sure if it'd be as marketable as, say, a 60m tall steel coaster. Just my 2c.

I also think it's going to be a movie theme that's more relatable and modern than any Westerns. I could see Mad Max, but that's not a western and would require a re-theme to slightly adjust its surrounds (if it's build around the sound stage area/behind SCSC).

I do secretly hope we're seeing a dark ride/coaster hybrid but in that case we'd be seeing some more DAs, yes? I'm actually surprised we're not seeing more anyway, unless the one for the coaster can include many sub-items like moving sheds and adding them?

I've been thinking hard and don't know if a woodie would be seen as a "great" ride in Australia. I have all these visions of people without a clue posting on Facebook how Movie World is building an "old" ride. I'm not sure if it'd be as marketable as, say, a 60m tall steel coaster. Just my 2c.

I also think it's going to be a movie theme that's more relatable and modern than any Westerns. I could see Mad Max, but that's not a western and would require a re-theme to slightly adjust its surrounds (if it's build around the sound stage area/behind SCSC).

I do secretly hope we're seeing a dark ride/coaster hybrid but in that case we'd be seeing some more DAs, yes? I'm actually surprised we're not seeing more anyway, unless the one for the coaster can include many sub-items like moving sheds and adding them?

while i do feel the gold coast does not need anymore rollercoasters .

it would be great to see them build a wooden rollercoaster as its something australia has not had since the closure of australia's wonderland.

but would still prefer thay build a world class dark ride etc  that the whole family can enjoy

while i do feel the gold coast does not need anymore rollercoasters .

it would be great to see them build a wooden rollercoaster as its something australia has not had since the closure of australia's wonderland.

but would still prefer thay build a world class dark ride etc  that the whole family can enjoy

Stuff the family.  There is always a need for more Roller Coasters.  Family rides are great to ride once but get boring pretty fast.   The world always needs more roller coasters and I want one that makes me poop a bit.

When I read "worlds best" I really think of "World Class" and that's probably the meaning in context. Ie dosnt have to be a statistic breaker but is an amazing ride that holds it's own on the world stage. 

If the DA says rollercoaster, it's probably not going to be a 3D dark ride...

I've never actually been on / seen a wooden coaster - would noise be an issue for nearby residents in that wild west area?

The older ones were quite noisy but there are many improvements they have made to the modern woodies that cut a lot of it down. There are also many exciting new things these modern wooden coasters can do including loops so I'd personally LOVE to see one built.

I would also love a new dark ride as well but after the failure  ( IMHO of course ) of Justice League, I doubt they will go down that path again anytime soon.

Edited by DisneyDoll

very disapointing thats its just another rollercoaster

the gold coast does not need anymore rollercoasters

its time to think out of the box and build a new world class dark ride etc

something for the whole family not just thrill seekers

I've said this before - but put simply - Rollercoasters are what bring people to the parks. A new stunt show will make existing passholders go 'oh - let's check out the new thing' but it won't make people who don't have passes go 'we must go to the park!' Likewise flats have the same impact. The last time a flat was marketed with any relish was The Claw, and that was over a decade ago.

Regardless of what anyone thinks the park needs - the fact of the matter is a Roller Coaster is what brings the crowds, and the parks need crowds to make money and therefore survive - so what all of our parks NEED are more coasters. period.

Take a look at the seasonal announcements from parks overseas who announce their latest addition - how many announce a flat ride? How many announce a rollercoaster? The only franchises that will garner as much excitement with a dark ride as other parks do with a coaster are Disney and Universal, and that is simply because we know they have the money to do a dark ride RIGHT.

As for Nearmap - their latest imagery is from 21 September, so it is two months out of date.

@joz - is this the area you're referring to for the studios?

AOS_-_ss9.thumb.png.1cae8c3b423189c726dd

Here is the western area:

Western_Area.thumb.png.33a6922acdb9b4f18

And the park \ studio area overall:

MW_Site_overall.thumb.png.362222bca91769

A narrow footprint hyper might work out the front, maybe do an L-shape around the edge of the carpark.

Biggest isn't always best, I mean I love Maverick most at Cedar Point and it's a quarter of the height of Top Thrill Dragster.

We'll have to wait and see I guess. If it's amazing, I'll be up there a bit more at Movie World.

With most modern coasters it's rider noise (screams etc.) that carries much more than actual mechanical/structural noise. Ride noise can be almost completely dampened, even on particularly loud track styles like B&M.

Rider noise would be the main limiting factor with utilizing the area behind Wild West Falls.

To add to this-

The scale and built form of development within this precinct must address the relationship and proximity to surrounding residential communities. Any development within this precinct will contribute to and enhance the access network within and to adjoining precincts and suburbs.

Sound Stage 9 is being built behind AOS as we speak.  It's closer to Wet "n" Wild than it is to Movie World.

It's terrific that the studios are doing so well that they are having to expand. I remember it wasn't that long ago that the studios were sitting there dormant, rarely used for anything. What a change!

With most modern coasters it's rider noise (screams etc.) that carries much more than actual mechanical/structural noise. Ride noise can be almost completely dampened, even on particularly loud track styles like B&M.

Rider noise would be the main limiting factor with utilizing the area behind Wild West Falls.

And this is why I think Movie World should continue to focus on indoor rides (indoor coasters, traditional dark rides etc.). That way the screams are contained, they can continue the show-buildings-as-fake-sound-stages theme, and allow for plenty of theming and atmosphere, in true Movie World style. Also makes for a good all-weather park!

Edited by GoGoBoy

Disagree with this. The Gold Coast (or Australia, really) only has one standout rollercoaster. There is definitely room for another headlliner! 

It may not be just another roller coaster. With sound stage 9 being built at the studios, it could be to free up one of the other sound stages for conversion into a dark ride. 

I certainly hope so!

It may not be just another roller coaster. With sound stage 9 being built at the studios, it could be to free up one of the other sound stages for conversion into a dark ride. 

I certainly hope so!

Push, you do realise the development application is for a Roller-coaster right? 

Edited by nitromefans

I'll respectfully disagree with you on that.

Most of the Gold Coasters (see what I did there?) are fairly run of the mill attractions. There are a few that stand above the average, such as Superman and Jet Rescue, but there's really nothing that I'd describe as an "absolute must visit for any enthusiast". There are two big holes in the lineup, IMHO – you've no full circuit coaster above 200 feet, and no modern wooden coaster. 

Besides, you got the new Justice League dark ride only a few years ago.

• Richard locked and unlocked this topic