'World Best' Attraction coming to VRTP

Brad2912

Are we still working off the assumption there is only going to be a coaster, or have we seen enough information now to believe there is going to be another ride? If so, can we entertain the theory that something like the western games area is more suited to a flat ride and the coaster might go elsewhere? In which case, show stage might not need to be demolished, only the other buildings?

Im not sure they could handle demolition of something as large as the show stage and still kept the area open for guests. All the heavy machinery required would have to go somewhere and I'm pretty sure Scooby has emergency exits between the buildings in the western area and the ride. Guess they could take it out the back, but it's all getting pretty close to Wild West isn't it?

A couple of small buildings, Boot Hill and that rotunda thing are pretty easy to clear out when compared to the show stage. Besides, it's built into a hill which might influence development opportunities.

Edited by Levithian

12 hours ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

I used to be one of those several members that knew what was happening, as I mentioned in the New Attraction thread, I stated that one of my friends told me that they were going getting a big attraction to MW for 2016 that's all she told me. she didn't say what the new roller coaster would be. I don't get any more news from her as she left working for MW just after FN started, I will try to see if she has anymore information to share (the last time I saw her was back in August) I wouldn't be that surprised if she doesn't know anything else as she left two months after I made the offical statement to you guys.. and I'm pretty sure djrappa knows a lot more about the attraction than I do

djrappa  if you don't mind me asking, do you know when you got told about the ride? I was told about it back in August that they were getting something big, I'm just intersted when you were told.. 

Your friend, who works at the park, telling you a new ride was coming, but not telling you anything more about it is not an "official statement"

Also - this doesn't make you 'one of those several members that knew what was happening' as you've just admitted that you knew nothing about it - except that it was coming.

If that's all it takes, then i'm going to make an official statement on behalf of Disney, Universal, Six Flags, Cedar Fair, Merlin, Ardent and Village Roadshow, and i'm going to announce that each of these companies will be installing new attractions. Unfortunately I can't say what they are, where they are going, or when they will open... but they are coming.

10 hours ago, djrappa said:

Sorry, patience is a virtue guys, we'll all just have to bide our time, which please be prepared may be a long time still!

Id love to talk about it as much as you would like to hear about it. Sadly neither is happening anytime soon. 

I long time for what?  Skeet time’s lines go something like this.

When you get a building approval you have 1 year to start the work before the building approval lapses.

When you get an OPW approval you have 2 years to get a building approval before the OPW approval lapses.  An OPW + a building approval gives you 3 years.

With a building approval you get 2 years to finish the build before the BA lapses.

You can get extensions to approvals before they lapses but this does cost money.

When MW first lodged the application for the roller coaster they would have been looking at a start time being this year.   You don’t get a building approval for 4 years down the track.  You could get an OPW for 3 years down the track and this does happen all the time but not for a BA.

Another point which you already know.  How long does it take to build a coaster?  I’m not talking about the install but how long does it take for the manufacture take to build a ride before it’s shipped to the park.

I know things can change quickly, just look at WWW stage 3 but that never went as far as a BA.  When you lodge drawings for a MCU they are pretty much in most cases just an outline of the proposal.  For example, I want to build a camping area.  You would just show the roads, the size of the approval, location of the camp sites and so on.  You might show an area for a toilet block but at that stage you wouldn’t normally produce the full working drawing for the toilet.  You might also show some pretty pictures for the council workers who can’t read plans. (jokes).

Which gets me back to the roller coaster.  To get a BA approval you require full working drawings.  So back when the approval was completed the full design of the roller coaster was completed by my experience.

The part I don’t know is did the ride manufacture start the construction of the roller coaster before the BA was approved or after?  Either way given MW has till November to start the installation of the roller coaster.  This would give MW a very small window of when they could cancel the order before the manufacture would have to start.  As I said I don’t know how long it takes to manufacture a roller coaster and I don’t even know how big or what type of coaster it is, this all comes into play.

This is my break down of times of when work will start and completed by.

ROLLER COASTER – Start before 16/11/2016   Complete by 16/11/2017

CAMPING – Start before 2019 Complete by 2020

LAKESIDE PRECINCT – Start before 26/11/2016 Complete by 26/11/2017 (Note approval only for early works)

AMENITIES BUILDING – Start before 27/11/2016 Completed by 27/11/2017

ENT PRECINCT – Start before 26/11/2016 Complete by 26/11/2017 (Note approval only for early works)

HOTEL – Start before 26/11/2016 Completed by 26/11/2017 (Note approval only for early works)

DEMOLITION – this is a bit different but has a completed by 13/01/2018

Things do happen between now and then but these dates are what MW first had in mind.  Also we don’t know what is linked to what, so one could affect the other.

I think the flaw in your timelines above is START. 

Pouring 1 footing is starting, then you have however long the build takes. 

As for design, changes to subtle parts of the layout, elements wouldn't affect the overall approval of a ride so you could basically make refinements after the approval. 

Without knowing for sure, but judging on US parks I'd say design and fabrication of a coaster would take at least a year for a custom non clone design. 

54 minutes ago, djrappa said:

I think the flaw in your timelines above is START. 

Pouring 1 footing is starting, then you have however long the build takes. 

Digging a hole is a start but you don't have a however long the build takes.

Every job has a completion by date.  The dates I gave are the completion dates given to MW from the G.C.C.C.

Attached is an example of a completion date given by G.C.C.C.

You can extend a completion date and it cost money to do so.  G.C.C.C. typical extension are around 6 months, not 2 years. 

56984d5193cc4_Completiondate.JPG.ec35b56

That's why we see some early works approvals.  If you had forever to do a build than what would be the point of an early works approval?  The ENT PRECINCT, LAKESIDE PRECINCT and HOTEL are all stage approvals.  This tells me that this part of the approval will be extended over time because say the LAKESIDE PRECINCT could be 6 stages which would gives MW 12 years to complete.  The ROLLER COASTER is not a stage approval which gives them 2 years from last year.

Edited by skeetafly

Thanks for the photo @djrappa I was looking at it he other day and never noticed the service stairs.  I might need to get my eyes checked.

Relating to our last discussion I think I need to mention why a BA has a completion by date.

The National Construction Code.  The National Construction Code or the NCC which once went by the Building code of Australia.

Around every May each year a revised NCC is released.  NCC is, it’s the Bible for construction.   Skeet story time.

When I first finished schooling I worked one of the biggest house builder in QLD.  The company I worked for had enough land in stock to last them for the next 20 years.  Every year leading up to the new BCA which it was called at that time.  We would go over what was going to be changed in the new edition.  Most of the times it was minor things but sometime it was major changes.  Anything that added cost to a new dwelling would be consider major.    So what all the major builders do is before the new changes come into effect they lodge as many application as they can.  The upside for the builder was say when we had to start energy rating houses to get a BA.  The change added around $3000.00 to one dwelling.  If the builder prolonged the new change as long as possible it would mean the builder could sell the house $3000.00 dollars cheaper than another builder could.

The problem with this is if a builder had 20 years stock of with BA on all of them, by the time they were complete they would be 20 years behind the NCC.

That’s the reason why you get a completion date.  It’s the governments way to inforce the changes into the buildings over a 2 year period.  When a certifier goes out to do his/her inspections during the build he doesn’t goes of the current rules but the rules at the time of approval.

This is the reason for stage approvals.  A good example is the for ever coming Coomera Town Centre.  This had a building approval a while ago but between the approval process and the build Westfield have changed their mind again for whatever reason and now don’t want to build the new centre all at once.

If BA lasted forever Westfield could have just built to a point and finished the rest of the building 10 years later.  Westfield have ended having to lodge a new stage approval for the part of they want to build.  As per my example this means when the 2nd stage goes ahead a new application will be lodged and it will be built to the correct code.

Because no one can confirm or deny or even share how close they are to the source which is 100% ok, this is the best I can come up with.

We all know there is a lot of application but the trouble is we don’t know how they are all link together.

My theory is below-

It’s pretty safe to assume that the roller coaster has nothing to do with the camp sites.  So I put the camp site to one side.

The lakeside area or the Entertainment area may both be connected to the roller coaster or have no connection at all.

The Roller Coaster is going ahead first. The lakeside and entertainment area are going ahead but not for a while.

The Roller Coaster is going to be part of one of the new areas, if not both but the new areas will not be built till a later date.  Because the Coaster is within one of the new areas then the work needs to start as it may not be able to be completed once a roller coaster is in the way.

That is the reason for the stage approvals.  Theory only until I’m proven wrong again.

It's a theme park forum, for social discussions of the topic of theme parks. 

Relevant information is helpful, but pages of in depth technical details on the development process only causes people to skip your whole post. 

I was joking, I read the whole thing, what I was getting at was a small piece of advice to summarize such matter. I was attempting to be humorous about it, next time I'll be more clear. 

1. rules change.
  2. things approved prior to rule changes don't have to conform to rule changes.
  3. If they didn't put finish dates on things, developers could submit a shit load of approvals for things that would last many years and save them lots of money because they don't have to conform to the new rules.
  4. the end.

2 hours ago, AlexB said:
  1. rules change.
  2. things approved prior to rule changes don't have to conform to rule changes.
  3. If they didn't put finish dates on things, developers could submit a shit load of approvals for things that would last many years and save them lots of money because they don't have to conform to the new rules.
  4. the end.

Sorry AlexB it's still to long.   Can you shorten it please?    

• 2 weeks later...
  • Richard locked and unlocked this topic