Could Australia Soon Have Its Very Own Disneyland

1. I don't see a Disney park coming to Australia in the next 20 years 

2. Why would they have to drop prices to meet our market prices for annual passes? Would you be happy with them dropping their standards and ride theming to that of Dreamworld and Movieworld?

what makes Disney is the attention to detail, immersion in theme, and that comes at a cost, a significant one. 

14 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Well, I certainly don't want the $1000 annual passes Disney has. That would take the price of passes from far too cheap, to far too expensive!

You're comparing prices with California, and doing it very badly. 

The $1000+ price point you quote is for the top level, unrestricted pass with no blockouts, and passholder benefits.

Try the deluxe passport, which is only $599 - which gets you TWO Disney parks (DL and DCA) - so about $300 each...

8 hours ago, pushbutton said:

The right balance for me would be if there was a Disney Park and the passes were around $250-$300 (max). That assumes  Disney standards of themeing and staffing, numerous immersive dark rides, and no black out dates. 

Any higher than that and I would be unlikely to afford it. 

So bingo - you're at your price point. The blockouts are reasonable too - two weeks over christmas, and the two days around valentines day is all you're missing out on in the next three months. 

You also get up to 10% off food, and 10% off select merchandise. Also - Passholders get passholder only events, and there are also many other benefits (like limited edition collector pins and other souvenirs) that ONLY passholders can get. Already you're getting more than our three park pass, and for a price point (per park) that you consider reasonable.

However, if you want to make a comparison to a Disney Park suitable for Australia - look at Hong Kong as your first stop. Annual passports there start from $1078HKD - which according to google currently is about $192AUD. Remember also, that that is for a single park... which is what we're talking here...

Finally (as has been said already) - if a pass pricing is required to take into account your particular financial circumstances, then we'll never have passes again... but note that in the case of California - you can choose to pay your pass off over 12 months just like VRTP do - in the case of the deluxe passport it'll set you back $99 upfront, and a further $41.67 per month. Although it is pricey - its unlikely to send you bankrupt, and for me - i consider that to be well worth the money.

https://ticketstore.disney.go.com/Webstore/shop/ViewItems.aspx?merchant=APWS&categoryGroupExternalID=NAP01&categoryExternalID=NAP03

11 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Well they'd have to consider making it cheaper, looking at the current parks' prices. Even if it is Disney, I would never fork out 1k just for an annual pass.

As mentioned, you could settle for the $600 option and pay it off, but i'm quite happy for Disney to set a price point on an annual pass that kind of ensures that the park won't be overrun with teens on school holidays who go because its basically free. I've been a passholder on the coast for several years until recently, and I would avoid the coast like the plague in the christmas \ new year period for that reason... so if their price point means some people would 'never fork out' for their passes - that makes me a happy guy.

11 hours ago, iwerks said:

USS has $188 annual season passes going down to $98 for six months. I don't think a lot of the locals could afford to go otherwise.

And thats quite reasonable... especially for Singapore - which I would argue is a similar market to HKDL. The USA Disney parks are just something special - they obviously have enough people willing to pay that much money to be a passholder. Can you imagine how full the park would be if the californian annual passes were cheaper?

Trying to compare local pass prices to their equivalent in US dollars makes no sense.  The opex costs of the park are incurred in Australian Dollars, not US Dollars.  That a pass here would be cheaper for a US resident is irrelevant, just the same as currency fluctuations have almost doubled the price of a pass to the American parks for us in the last few years.