Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016

As great as some of the great work DW has done of late, the train ride this afternoon served as a great illustration of closed attractions. The 'presenter' over the speakers spent all their time talking about what was closed.

3:30ish boarded at Central Station

Stop 1: 'Billabong'

"this stop is where you'll find our newly refurbished restaurant, which is currently closed for the day, but is open 11:30-2 daily'. This is also home ABC4Kids world which is great for the kids to run around, but has closed for today, as had Motorcoaster. These rides close at 3:30 mon-fri. Hopefully you can come back another day and take advantage of these attractions."

Stop 2: 'Corroboree' 

"Australian & indigenous animals speil. This is also the best stop for our Vintage Cars attraction, which is currently closed due to off peak season. The ride only operates on Weekends

Stop 3: 'Rocky Hollow'

"this is the stop for one of DW's original attractions, the RHLR. The ride is currently closed for scheduled maintenance."

on the last stretch, she announced "just a friendly reminder of our current attractions closures" then listed Wipeout, Big Red Car, Vintage Cars & RHLR, ABC4Kids & MDMC again, and then repeated them, again. "Sorry for the inconvenience caused". 

Wow.

Edited by Brad2912

7 minutes ago, skeetafly said:

Brad2912 do you think isn’t a bit strange the Wipeout is down for maintenance.  Ever since I can remember it always went down in November.  I am almost positive it when down 4 month ago for annually maintenance.

I couldn't tell you when it was last down from memory, but I agree it doesn't seem it was very long ago, just prior to Xmas i believe. 

I'm sure it was down in November.  I just looked it up and it will not be open to March.  It's also the standard 4 weeks that it always goes down for so I don't think something has broken on it.  I'm putting this in my memory bank and be interesting if it goes down in November again.  Maybe DW will be to busy building a new ride in November to work on the Wipeout. LOL

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

on the last stretch, she announced "just a friendly reminder of our current attractions closures" then listed Wipeout, Big Red Car, Vintage Cars & RHLR, ABC4Kids & MDMC again, and then repeated them, again. "Sorry for the inconvenience caused". 

Wow.

I can really feel your pain here Brad, I also find it very rude and disrespectful that she only listed Wipeout twice, while she definitely listed all the others three times. That is sitting on the edge of being racist towards surfing-themed flat-rides.

39 minutes ago, pin142 said:

Wonder if it is where they will be displaying their new white tiger cubs that recently arrived. Seems the most logical reason for the placement and why the quarantine signs.

They're Imported from Japan. They can't be integrated with the other Tigers yet in case they've carrying an infection. A month long Quarantine.

Good news re the White Tiger cubs. Its nice to see some new white genes enter the gene pool at the park. 

Back on topic for 2016, the half year results have been released from Ardent > http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20160217/pdf/4353909jytq3vz.pdf

The biggest of note is that Tiger Island closes for the big refurb in March, but also Payment Plans and Tiered passes are mentioned in the report.

If DW sells to Wanda, I wouldn't be sure whether that's a good or a bad thing. On the plus side, we'd get more attractions, maybe one or two world class ones. On the down side, Ardent have been doing really well making DW look fantastic the past few years and I'd be worried that Wanda wouldn't continue that.

But I doubt that'll actually happen and Wanda will probably just build a completely new theme park.

On 17 February 2016 at 2:12 PM, Brad2912 said:

Photos just taken 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ok i think is kinda gives evidence to the "tiger island expansion" If you saw earlier in the week they release 2 white tiger cubs the footage from the media looked like it was shot inside a demountable building (judging the floor and walls. Maybe this was set up foe the media call or something similar. Idk just my 2 cents worth 

6 hours ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

the temporary Tiger Island Nursery is now open  

image.thumb.jpeg.2f329f79948086efaa87e07

Ok - I realise it is temporary and all, but did we seriously need to use quick shades that have seen about 10 years of summer sun? Faded, patched, torn... could it have hurt them to go and buy a couple new ones from Extreme Marquees? They could have ordered any colour they wanted and pretty well got them off the shelf, or even had a custom white tiger print, or logo print, or any other bloody design they wanted with a few weeks lead time.

Seriously - it looks like they've decided on the 'junkyard' theme... those marquees have no place 'onstage'

9 hours ago, AlexB said:

Ok - I realise it is temporary and all, but did we seriously need to use quick shades that have seen about 10 years of summer sun? Faded, patched, torn... could it have hurt them to go and buy a couple new ones from Extreme Marquees? They could have ordered any colour they wanted and pretty well got them off the shelf, or even had a custom white tiger print, or logo print, or any other bloody design they wanted with a few weeks lead time.

Seriously - it looks like they've decided on the 'junkyard' theme... those marquees have no place 'onstage'

Why should they have to, it's only going to be there for a month (or so). Yes, they have the money to get new ones, or to add a custom print or whatever else, but why should they? no one cares. If you're going over to that area, you're going to see the white tigers, not to look at the marquee they are using to provide shade... "Wow! The park has these new white tigers... oh wait, that marquee isn't a darker shade of blue! I'm going to complain about it!"

TL/DR Don't complain because they are providing shade.

• Richard changed the title to Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016