Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016

8 hours ago, themagician said:

It just wouldn't make sense to have tigers in Ocean Parade. And it's a bit of a crap spot anyway to put something like this. I do hope this isn't true, otherwise DW are going backwards again.

7 hours ago, themagician said:

^For a temporary area for the Cubs, then it wouldn't be as bad, but if it's permanent, then I'd be a little dissapointed. But the same could be said about the larger tigers, where will they be on display during the refurbishment.

Its a cub kindy. the cubs aren't going to stay cubs forever. of course it's temporary.

There moving the tiger cubs into ocean parade for the reverb of tiger island and for the white tigers in front of the ZE is a perfect spot it's used for Screamworld which none are currently planned so who gives a rats that's it's out of theming I personally go there to enjoy myself and have not admire the theming and presentation of the park I personally don't a ride with less theming or faded paint more boring then another ride which has less theming and a worse paint job it's the same thing what they did when upgrading Kids World into DreamWorks they added some temporary kids rides in ocean parade.

Theme parks all in one posted about the Tiger Island renovations, saying about the stadium layout, new enterance, gift shop/cafe and nursery/cub play area. Which I believe will happen. But they commented that DW hope to have it open prior to Christmas. Do people think it would take this long, obviously we don't know full details, and the scale of this refurbishment, but I'd be thinking it would reopen for September school holidays. Thoughts?

That's basically an unanswerable question, as we are not sure what exactly the refurbishment entails, nor how complex the works required are. Is the physical island changing, or just the audience side? How long will the tigers need to be comfortable in the their new surrounds before a show could resume? 

9 months really isn't that long in the grand scheme of things 

29 minutes ago, themagician said:

Theme parks all in one posted about the Tiger Island renovations, saying about the stadium layout, new enterance, gift shop/cafe and nursery/cub play area. Which I believe will happen. But they commented that DW hope to have it open prior to Christmas. Do people think it would take this long, obviously we don't know full details, and the scale of this refurbishment, but I'd be thinking it would reopen for September school holidays. Thoughts?

I would have expected it to only take a couple of months at most.

Remember of course too that this development isn't just a ride, or a building. This is a habitat. They have to be careful that there are no materials used that the tigers are exposed to which could make them sick, so some things may have to be done differently to cater to that.

These walls shown in Ninja's picture above - they almost look tall enough to accommodate the adult tigers... possibility?

You reckon? I wouldn't be too confident in my safety if the adult tigers were behind a structure only that tall. They stretch on their hind legs at least as tall as that. I LOVE tigers but not enough to want be running from/with one through the park 

Edited by Brad2912

On 22/2/2016 at 8:43 AM, mickey_079 said:

08717-109084.jpg

I was going (badly) off memory of this image, but my memory of Australia Zoo's enclosure is that the walls don't appear to be much higher that what we're seeing at DW - although again its my bad memory. Sure the walls in the above pic look tall, but the bottom section is water - and they are roughly the same height at land level. TO me these walls (at land level) look about 10 feet, with an inward protrusion.

now that i look closely at the DW pic - (the ladder gives a little more scale) it looks to be about 7 or 8 feet tall... so yeah probably "not quite" but one could probably do keeper talks in there for 10-15 minutes - just wouldn't allow them free roam during that time.

For a 10-15 minute keeper talk, i think it'd be ok. They probably aren't using it for that, but given the tigers are such a big drawcard at the park, are they planning on not showing them at all during the 9 month downtime?

Seems like a no-brainer to try and bring them out so people can still experience \ see them. Can't do a full show in an enclosure like that, but you could exhibit some behaviours relatively safely - so long as there was a safe path for the keepers to take them to back of house, I don't see why not.

3 hours ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

credit to Themeparks all in oneimage.thumb.jpeg.ff1f4c50709cf20f9757b98

Whilst the perspective of the step ladder makes it appear taller, when you compare it to the typical temporary fence panels on the left you get a better idea of how tall those posts are. Those fencing panels are little taller that kinda hip height, with the posts being max double that height. I'd say 8ft tops.

when you look at the Aust Zoo photo it's at least double the height of the keeper, so at least 10-12ft. 

Get what you are saying about if it is for a short demo it probably wouldn't be an issue, but not sure if they'd take that chance with an adult tiger. If the tiger got startled, lets face it the adults are not usually face to face with large groups on the other side of glass, they could easily startle and overpower a handler. 

Yep - seeing the actual Oz Zoo enclosure I realise my memory was poor. I remembered the height of the glass, but didn't even realise the mesh \ whatever was there on those.

The handlers do take the tigers on walks through the park, and for special groups - two guys, both with chain in hand. I realise with a full park it's much different, and you wouldn't want to startle them, but i do hope they find some way to still demonstrate \ show \ view the tigers whilst their home is being renovated.

• Richard changed the title to Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016