Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016

Not thrilled by the placement. It bothers me that almost everything new has to be jammed into one tiny corner of the park. In saying that, I get it too, it's the most logical place to put it given its easy back of house access to the rest of the Tiger Island care facilities. Surely there comes a point where the park goes "oh look, let's spend another 10k+ on facilities/access, put it somewhere new and exciting, grow the park and expand the park out a bit instead of building literally infront other attractions."

Edited by Slick

11 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Do you read the other comments before you post? TI is being closed for refurb

That doesn't relate to connecting it at all... I know TI is being expanded but by the look of things it's not being expanded as far as OP. I'm assuming this shop will use the ZE pre-show building, which will essentially close off the stretch of land between TI and OP (the section behind the ZE show building). I was hoping the ZE pre-show building was being knocked down so that area could be opened up but the confirmation of the shop stops that idea.

Edited by Santa07

1 hour ago, Slick said:

Not thrilled by the placement. It bothers me that almost everything new has to be jammed into one tiny corner of the park. In saying that, I get it too, it's the most logical place to put it given its easy back of house access to the rest of the Tiger Island care facilities. Surely there comes a point where the park goes "oh look, let's spend another 10k+ on facilities/access, put it somewhere new and exciting, grow the park and expand the park out a bit instead of building literally infront other attractions."

You can't really put it anywhere else on that side of the park easily. As a temporary measure I have no issue with it being where it is. Sure that side of the park is getting crowded but given the distance from the existing Tiger Island and vet facilities putting something in somewhere like the old Blue Lagoon area would make it quite the trek to get the tigers on display there and it isn't exactly the easiest place to get to and from quickly should something happen.

49 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

That doesn't relate to connecting it at all... I know TI is being expanded but by the look of things it's not being expanded as far as OP. I'm assuming this shop will use the ZE pre-show building, which will essentially close off the stretch of land between TI and OP (the section behind the ZE show building). I was hoping the ZE pre-show building was being knocked down so that area could be opened up but the confirmation of the shop stops that idea.

So where do you want it to go though? If TI is being renovated, The Lair is out as that's would be the site access to for the area. You then have the edge of Dreamworks Exp, but there is no room near there at all. Where else would you place it?

48 minutes ago, pin142 said:

You can't really put it anywhere else on that side of the park easily. As a temporary measure I have no issue with it being where it is. Sure that side of the park is getting crowded but given the distance from the existing Tiger Island and vet facilities putting something in somewhere like the old Blue Lagoon area would make it quite the trek to get the tigers on display there and it isn't exactly the easiest place to get to and from quickly should something happen.

And that's the reality really. For what it's worth, putting a sweet little bridge in over to the unused island and doing a cool little jungle zone would be perfect for the cubs, relative access but higher initial cost given whole new infrastructure (pathways, electrical, etc. etc.) . If i'm being honest, alot of this seems very permanant (atleast this little area that they're putting in next to Tailspin, I could also be looking into it too much.

9 minutes ago, themagician said:

I suppose it makes good use of the space for now and is a good way to get close to the cubs. I wonder if they'll be putting some fake grass over the concert. I imagine it would be a hot ground, until it starts to cool down a bit.

Artificial grass gets just as hot a concrete in the sun, I hope they put some soil in and add real turf.

There will be very very limited tiger displays at the lair while the refurb is underway. TI will not be extended but stadium style seating is coming and say goodbye to the Bengal Tea House

P.S Deborah has changed this park around unlike previous management

Edited by www worker 2.0

43 minutes ago, rac2703 said:

Artificial grass gets just as hot a concrete in the sun, I hope they put some soil in and add real turf.

Ain't that the truth. Got reminded of that whilst walking around the WNW Wave Pool over the weekend ? Yeowch! My poor feet ?

Edited by OceanGirl

58 minutes ago, rac2703 said:

Not really IMO. I covered my balcony in artificial grass a while back and it's quite cool even in direct sunlight. 

1 hour ago, The_Ninja_59 said:

more pictures from The Theme Park Social Networkimage.thumb.jpeg.1ffdfec6d93a24eab5be0a8

I just hope they (assuming it's not staying) remove the facade of kevil. It just looks even more out of place now. 

Dreamworld, if not already planned, please add some shade in that area so when people are viewing the cubs it's not too annoying/hot/glarey in the sun. 

I'm liking what i'm seeing here, but i'll agree - this looks more permanent than temporary, and i'm with Slick on the same - the Island is actually a really good idea - it's close to the tiger facilities, it could be constructed without impeding any current guest experience, and it would be like entering another 'world'... rather than this random habitat in the middle of their thrill zone...

• Richard changed the title to Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016