Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016

Wtf... At Dreamworld atm, the Wipeout is back up and running again, but it's making some really loud creaking noises from its right arm whilst in operation. Doesn't sound healthy at all ?? Will try and record it to see what you guys think ?

20160324_112531.mp4

You can hear it in this cycle, was even worse in the previous one ???

7 minutes ago, OceanGirl said:

Wtf... At Dreamworld atm, the Wipeout is back up and running again, but it's making some really loud creaking noises from its right arm whilst in operation. Doesn't sound healthy at all ?? Will try and record it to see what you guys think ?

Well it's old ride you would probably expect that but would probably by why it's closed for about a months maintenance the older a ride gets the more downtime it require sorter the like the Log Ride it's currently closed from the 20th to 24th of this month when it just had other a months maintenance and before it was announced that it would but closed from the 20th to 24th it was scheduled to be closed again in May for about 2-3 weeks again it's odd if you ask me that such a popular would be closed for long periods of time. 

57 minutes ago, OceanGirl said:

ETA: Wipeout has been closed and maintenance team is all over it lol. Surprise, surprise...

(dammit, someone post something please so I'm not the only one posting a hundred times in a row :P

Maybe the read your post and thought they better take a look.

Why don't you just edit your post each time now that you have joined the club.

Edited by skeetafly

Lol maybe... or perhaps they finally caught on that it really shouldn't be making loud grinding noises like that during parts of its cycle :blink: I've played my video back since coming home and its hard to hear over all the typical riders screaming, but you'll have to take my word for it that it wasn't a good sound, and definitely not part of the normal noises it makes.

Seriously, I love the Wipeout, but even I wasn't game enough to go on it today. Hopefully maintenance fix whatever the issue is, even if it means more downtime again (which would suck for them, given that its Easter holidays starting tomorrow) but better to be safe than sorry!

Edited by OceanGirl

32 minutes ago, skeetafly said:

Why don't you just edit your post each time now that you have joined the club.

Usually it automatically merges them? But it didn't this time round. The edit option disappears after a while anyway, plus the forum wouldn't give anyone a heads up that new content has been added to an existing post. Chances are people aren't going to re-read posts they already previously have seen, so that would only be a waste of time really.

5 hours ago, OceanGirl said:

Check out the vid @Ashley and see what you think, I added it to my post up ^^^ there ?

Is hard to hear from people screaming but yep that's certainly not it's natural sound, when I was on August 15th last year they were fixing something on it so people in the queue had to wait 10-15mins then it wasn't working right I'm not sure whether or not if it was cricking like in the video but wasn't running right I think age is starting to show in that ride.

Log Ride is also back open until May 16th re-opening on May 29th I've emailed DW asking why it's being closed for long periods of time still waiting on a response I'll post what they say when I hear from them.

That's a plausible explanation, @Slick. Didn't think of that, and would make sense given it just came out of maintenance. It could very well be the reason for all the noise yesterday! I hope that's all it is/was ?

I still worry for the old girl, though. I mean it has reportedly broken down at least 3 times since it reopened, including yesterday arvo for at least an hour, if not longer. Not a good sign, given her age ?

Speaking of old rides, the log ride broke down just after we rode on it as well, got off and were walking down that path where the boats float past, only to hear the female attendant making an announcement (something I think about bout the ride alarm being tripped?) for the people in the ramp tunnel not to panic and to sit tight, as someone would be there shortly to assist them.  

Another visitor we chatted to not long before that claimed that the River Rapids broke down that morning, and the diesel train had done so as well when we went to jump on it at the station earlier that morning lol. Although it was up and running again not too long afterwards. 

So yeah, not a good start to the Easter holidays for Dreamworld lol. 

Just now, T-bone said:

These things happen, I wouldn't be too concerned OceanGirl. 

Mind you, i'm curious as to what happened with the train when it broke down? Do you have any more details? They should just bring the steam engine out over the holidays :D

Sounds like it just........ran out of steam

Lmfao! I'm not too sure, the driver wasn't too specific, just said it was out of action. But he is apparently the same dude who operates the steam train. He confirmed with us how the old one comes out at the 1st weekend of each month (next Saturday for April btw, for those of you following along at home!)  and he joked that if the diesel engine wasn't up and running again shortly then the steam one could very well be out that arvo as well ?

at the park at the moment, one of the breifing bays door at Zombie Evilution was open, you can see that they have completely removed in the room and replaced it with something else? Guest Services told me that they can't say if it's getting retired.. the question I'm asking is? why hasn't Dreamworld made an announcement already about it getting retired on heir FB page or why it's listed for a 30th of September reopening on the mainteance pageand before anyone says the 30th of September date might be for the scare maze it can't be as the closest Screamworld to the 30th is the 23rd 

This is just getting confusing... ?image.jpeg

Wipeout is up and running again like normal, that grinding noise it was doing great yesterday has gone! But am at WWW right now and the hinterland side of the Giant Drop has broken down lol. Carriage got stuck 3/4 of the way up, so they just dropped it from there and now they are manually winching the little drop thingy down ? So now they have the ocean side going instead. 

Geez it must be hard for theme parks to keep everything running smoothly when rides decide they don't wanna operate the way they are intended to ????

Really feel the need to point out that MOST rides 'break down' every single day. 

They are not broken 99.9% of the time. They are simply designed to stop if there is anything out of the ordinary. 

In reality they could usually be instantly started again, however most all parks procedures involve calling the maintenance team out to look over the ride before giving an all clear. Then also often the procedures will call for all of the daily checks to be repeated as though it was opening for the first time. 

This is why a 1 minute problem results in an hour long ride closure. 

Most all of the time not note worthy at all. 

Yes I realise that, Rappa. I have visited theme parks a lot over the years, whilst also working at one of them a couple of times ? Not necessary to point out, but I appreciate it anyway ?

There's nothing new to report for Dreamworld at the moment that hasn't already been done so (ie. Ashley's post about the Easter stuff, which is mainly just extra street entertainment) so I am just making idle chit chat with other members here about the park. In this case, there isn't a lot of exciting stuff to discuss other than the breakdowns. Hopefully there will be more on the horizon to discuss once Tiger Island renos progress ☺

2 minutes ago, Glubbo said:

OceanGirl, does the GD coast side still do the few metre drop then stop, then resume the drop? Last few years I've been it was always only hinterland side running only. Was so much more fun as you got a taste of the drop before it actually happened.

Lol you're probably asking the wrong person dude, I haven't been on it since my teenage years as I hate drop rides ? I do know what you're talking about though, as I experienced that same thing back then with the 'fake' drop before the full one on that particular side. As far as I am aware, it doesn't do that any more. At least it doesn't look like it does anyway, from what I have seen it's just a straight drop now! 

• Richard changed the title to Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016