Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016

On 26/03/2016 at 7:49 PM, Santa07 said:

Maybe the log ride's on the way out... I hope not since apart from the train it's the only attraction left.

Still, some TLC might give it a few more years.

I agree, the log ride needs to go, it's a favourite of mine but it's getting on in years.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

33 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

You don't just get rid of a ride because it's old... 

It has also seen better days. Every time I went to DW the queues for Rocky Hollow Log Ride were dead, worse than the Giant Drop and HWSW (when it was Cyclone) at times... It's just that Rocky Hollow IMO is a dead area, like the MDMC area most guests choose to flock to Ocean Parade (and the surrounding Dreamworks area), WWW and to a lesser extent Town of Gold Rush. The problem with Rocky Hollow is that it is just too far away from the rest of the park's rides, and the Log Ride has sat in the shadow of the Rapids and Buzzsaw after Eureka closed. This is not to say there is anything wrong with the ride, but due to the rapid growth of Ocean Parade and the opening of WWW, the Rocky Hollow Log Ride and the Giant Drop has been pushed aside and is now in the shadow of the rest of the park. I'm sure DW don't want to get rid of Giant Drop since it is pound for pound, their flagship ride along with TOT.  If a large thrill ride opened in the Rocky Hollow area, then this may change, however based on the heavy focus on Ocean Parade and the surrounding area in recent years I wouldn't find this very likely to occur.

17 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Not everything needs to be a big thriller. 

Hot day in summer the log ride will be busy. 

My he view of its old and not a thrill ride so should go is a stupid one IMO

This guy gets it. This and the River Rapids have some of the longest waits in the park during Summer. If anything i'd like for the park to give the ride just a little more love. It's not hard to add a little bit of ominous Banjo music as you stroll on by, and having been on Rainbow's End's log flume just recently, i'm convinced that if a smaller, regional park can do something quite genuinely surprising and entertaining for at the very least the kids riding then Dreamworld definitely can.

I don't think the Log Ride needs removal; it just needs a refurbishment. I hardly ride it anymore just because it doesn't hold my interest like many other rides (such as Wild West Falls). Now, I'm not trying to insinuate that it needs a steeper drop and backwards elements, but I just think that if they put some thought into how to make every single millimetre of the ride an entertaining experience then they'll be onto a winner. 

3 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

This is not to say there is anything wrong with the ride, but due to the rapid growth of Ocean Parade and the opening of WWW, the Rocky Hollow Log Ride and the Giant Drop has been pushed aside and is now in the shadow of the rest of the park.

Practically everything east, south and west of the Giant Drop is in the shadow of the giant drop... at some point. :P

How did we get from a Log Ride age\query to saying Giant Drop is getting on in years too? I don't think anyone is suggesting that GS is in anyway in need of replacement. its still a fantastic ride and should live on for many years.

23 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Practically everything east, south and west of the Giant Drop is in the shadow of the giant drop... at some point. :P

How did we get from a Log Ride age\query to saying Giant Drop is getting on in years too? I don't think anyone is suggesting that GS is in anyway in need of replacement. its still a fantastic ride and should live on for many years.

I didn't say it needs replacing. 

4 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

I'm sure DW don't want to get rid of Giant Drop since it is pound for pound, their flagship ride along with TOT. 

Giant Drop is a strange one.  I think it's the ride that gives Dreamworld credibility in the thrills department, but it's so scary that people refuse to go on it.  It's something that draws people to the park who have no intention of riding it.  I think how intimidating it is and its location at the far end of the park is why it doesn't tend to attract a large queue.  Normally I'd say that means it's unpopular  but it really is the ride that makes Dreamworld stand out from the rest.

27 minutes ago, joz said:

Giant Drop is a strange one.  I think it's the ride that gives Dreamworld credibility in the thrills department, but it's so scary that people refuse to go on it.  It's something that draws people to the park who have no intention of riding it.  I think how intimidating it is and its location at the far end of the park is why it doesn't tend to attract a large queue.  Normally I'd say that means it's unpopular  but it really is the ride that makes Dreamworld stand out from the rest.

So it's basically an oxymoron? It attracts guest from far and wide but "looks too intense for me"?

If we are actually discussing whether or not GD will close, I think it's too much of a visual icon for it to suddenly drop from the park's lineup. A ride such as the Wipeout or Batman Adventure could be removed with very little fanfare as those rides are relatively secluded and hidden. With GD, they just can't gutter the building and call it a day; it's going to take a lot of effort to be removed. 

1 hour ago, joz said:

Odd, I found GD to be relatively tame in comparison to Larson drop towers like the one at Luna Park. Still, quite a scary ride.

7 minutes ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Steering away from GD, what is the reason that TOT can't go higher up the tower? With new technology from Intamin or even some new cars, I think it would be amazing to see it go up higher than it already does and provide a greater thrill. Thoughts?

I believe DW lowered the speed from 160 km/h to 120 km/h for safety, as noted in a thread posted several months ago.

• Richard changed the title to Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016