Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016

On 3 April 2016 at 8:03 AM, AlexB said:

Could there be something about night time operation - cooler track, cooler wheels that might indicate less speed \ more friction?

if the track \ wheels have cooled down, they could contract, ever so slightly which would leave more space for the train to 'hop' ?

i'm no engineer - just speculating...

I think it's because the power into the park at night is less after the sun goes down.

1 hour ago, pin142 said:

Guessing the lower water level for Wipeout is due to the issues it seems to be having recently.

I reckon you're right, as from observation the circuitry appears to be on the front underside of it, behind those little panels it has, and yeah, can only be accessed underneath by mechanics when the water is drained out.

I'm starting to worry a bit for the Wipeout... I know rides break down regularly, especially when under heavy use during school holidays, but Wipeout seems to be showing its age and doing it a heck of a lot lately. I really hope its not on its way out :(:(:(

Oh ok, I didn't know about the one in Russia! I think I read somewhere that the super flips aren't so uncommon, but the ones with the bent arm design are. 

And yeah @themagician, I guess its just business that when rides reach their expiry date, they have to be removed/replaced. But it doesn't help when you grow up with some of them, you kinda grow emotionally attached -_- In this case the Wipeout was the second ever thrill ride I ever went on, directly after the Thunderbolt. I pretty much jumped straight from one onto the other :lol: And I have always been fond of its distinct 'screaming' sound whilst it's in motion :wub:

Might be a good time for all of us to grab some good snapshots of it whilst its still around for us to do so....

I think Pin may be onto something with the reason for the lower water level. It was significantly higher than that on Saturday.

Talking about wipeout, the ride is seriously looking bad considering it only just went through a major overhaul. Next time you are there, have a look at the wave, there's quite a few bubbles potentially caused by a water leak in the structure, I also noticed a few rust spots in the rides structure, which ain't good considering I could spot them from the midway. It's little but I also noticed the stickers they used for the logo on the surfboards are falling off. Considering it only just came out of annual maintenance/ refresh, it's quite concerning that these things are issues.

The park has shown they love the wipeout, and with decent TLC it will last for a long time, but let's face it, when push comes to shove they'd prefer to spend money on new attractions instead of old attractions they can't market. The latest refresh has given the ride some extra time, but I predict by 2025 it will be gone if not earlier. 

1 minute ago, OceanGirl said:

We've noticed the rust, too. My 11yr old pointed a bigger spot out the other day, halfway up the right arm above the joint. It looked like had some distinct black writing around it, so I'm guessing mechanics must be monitoring its progress in case it gets worse.

This one? 

wo.JPG

10 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

According to google, there's one in Six Flags, Mexico and one somewhere in Russia.

Russia? I thought there was only Wipeout and the one in Six Flags Mexico.

Realistically it's been on it's way out for years. I'd say it still has some life in it, but my bet's on it being gone by 2020. 

I agree, it would really be sad to see it go but there comes a time when all rides need to be retired, unfortunately. DW has already done the investment on giving Wipeout a full overhaul two years ago and I doubt they will repeat it, given how much they have spent over the last 23 years on maintenance. This is just my "devil's advocate" speculation, Wipeout may last longer than 2020.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

Ok - now that the forums are back up i'll try typing this up for the 6th time!

:D

So according to Wiki - there are Waikiki Wave Super Flips (WWSF) in:

• Dreamworld
  • SF Mexico
  • Space World Japan

There are also 2 listed as defunct:

• Flamingland UK
  • Kentucky Kingdom USA

No info in any of the regular publications but google does bring up a result for one in russia - there is a screenshot of a video, and the ride is definitely a top spin, but unable to determine if it is actually a WWSF - there is a comment on the page that says it is, but theres also a comment that says there's one in Vienna (which is just a plain old travelling top spin).

Clearly they seem to be maintenance intensive, but here's hoping the parks see the value in keeping it running and will continue to keep it alive. Hopefully it doesn't go the way of Sea Viper and get closed down shortly after a massive revamp.

Currently according to DWs maintenance schedule the Wipeout is only currently running 10:30 to 3:30 weekdays which is quite strange for one of the Big 9, seeing as well all other rides in Ocean Parade operate 10:00 to 5:00 delay, as it is one of DWs Big 9 thrill rides they might be a bit more lenient about closing the ride.

What do you think would make a perfect replacement for the ride if it does close sooner rather then later.

During the final stages of Wipeouts major overhaul I was talking to a member of the engineering team and the Wipeouts overhaul was to get AT LEAST an extra 10 years out of it, Vekoma came out to do an audit and inspection and replaced major parts. So expect it to be here till 2024 ;). The Wipeout is just having a bad week at the moment, i'm sure they will fix it and it will be back to normal soon. 

13 hours ago, djrappa said:

The one at flamingO land certainly wasn't a Super Flip. The gondola did not flip independently. 

Yes yes - i missed the O - to be fair, I typed it correctly at least 4 times, and was rushing that post before a meeting.

Looking at this video - it is a spitting image of wipeout, sans surfboards, and it does look like independent gondola flip to me:

• Richard changed the title to Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016