Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016

Tbh at first I was ready to laugh as I saw her get stuck in the sand, then it wasn't so funny when I saw her leg get stuck and she started screaming for help. What made it even worse was she was pregnant. While she probably shouldn't have been riding a segway while pregnant, it's not exactly something you'd expect to be injured on.

I reckon you're spot on with your expectations there, @reanimated35. With the amount of money, effort and time going into the new Tiger Island project, I also don't expect much more to take place this year. If so, I reckon it will just be ride refurbs and touch ups as well. Not that it's a bad thing, but it seems to be their main focal point right now (going by that earlier article as well) as opposed to adding anything brand new and expensive. 

I wouldn't even be expecting a ride refurb,  I'd just be thinking cleaning cobwebs, maybe a couple of things getting fresh paint, maybe paint the footpath over the back or something. Just minor details that go a long way towards making everything look great.

I hope there's no more focus on ocean parade for now. (Apart from stuff related to the tigers of course)

14 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

What is it with injuries today?! Someone passes out on hot wheels, guy falls out of log ride and I witness some woman fall off a segway, dislocate her leg and get airlifted to hospital from Fraser Island

How do you even pass out on the HWSW I heard people say that the ride is quite mild compared to others, if someone was going to pass out on a ride I thought it would of been the TOT2 or Giant Drop.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

How do you even pass out on the HWSW I heard people say that the ride is quite mild compared to others, if someone was going to pass out on a ride I thought it would of been the TOT2 or Giant Drop.

No air con in the queue tunnel area. It's pretty busy there atm due to NSW school holidays, which means lengthy lines as well. 

It was freaking hot in there a week or so ago when we were lined up, not the most pleasant experience ?

1 hour ago, pin142 said:

Thunderbolt area had plans for WhiteWater World expansion approved so that's the only thing I want to see done there. There is heaps of other room around the former Blue Lagoon area that would suit a new coaster.

I believe that a coaster down that side of the park would be a good move for Dreamworld rather than dumping one near Ocean Parade. This way the new coaster could draw people down into the Gold Rush area and Rocky Hallows area.

14 hours ago, Rollercoaster3132 said:

Upgrade mine train to latest steel wild mouse and reopen for 20 year anniversary. Short B&M coaster like Krake (im really living in a dreamworld if that was to ever happen). Inverted rollercoaster where thunderbolt used to be. Do something with the island in the middle of the old river. 

In other uninteresting off-topic speculative news...

Not that we don't know what it looks like, but this will be interesting.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/take-a-walk-around-dreamworld-from-the-comfort-of-your-home-20160420-gob3ve.html

Google has already partnered with tourism organisations in New South Wales and Victoria to create 360 degree views of national parks in both states and now they are adding a few experiences on the Gold Coast to the growing list of attractions you can visit through Google Street View.

"You get to meet the characters on Main street at Dreamworld and get up close with the baby tiger cubs as well as get a sense of the atmosphere in the park," Mr Treeves said.

The Street View trekker also took in the Skypoint Observation deck at Q1 giving viewers the chance to check out the panoramic views from the Gold Coast's highest point.

Not entirely sure when it will be available though.

The DIY machines were not able to be used for memberships when I got mine processed, only for the season passes etc. Annoying but what can you do, they are set up to print out the paper tickets but not the plastic ones. Also ToTII had it's line to the skull multiple times throughout the day and Giant Drop was seeming to be running 1 side only for most of the day. I shudder to think what the line was for that (was at the 45 minute sign going into the big switchbacks, and considering that sign is for 2 gondola operation...)

Also good to see BuzzSaw running with 2 operators, at least for a little while anyway enabling full loading. I think the park as a whole was incredibly understaffed today, with the Grid burger outlet having a line back to the Tiger Cub kindy at lunch time with only 1 register open. Resulting in about a 35 minute wait to order + 20 minutes on food. Luckily the food was great quality but not really a good image having the line that long with 1 register running at peak time. Overall though, the park was looking great today.

On 24/04/2016 at 11:37 PM, Spotty said:

Giant Drop was seeming to be running 1 side only for most of the day. I shudder to think what the line was for that (was at the 45 minute sign going into the big switchbacks, and considering that sign is for 2 gondola operation...)

Well if that 45min sign is for two gondolas running common sense would indicate that with one gondola running the same point would equal about a 90min wait, not rocket science.

Considering it was a Public Holiday the park would have been running on skeleton staff, top that with the fact that Movie World and Wet 'n' Wild were closed and you would have to expect long lines throughout the park.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that. Single gondola operation usually cuts the staff required for the ride so there is no grouper - the grouper also plays the role of harness checking etc. It's not a direct double to the queue time as the staff doing multiple roles slows them down - they must ensure guests are clear from the load zone and exit door before they can proceed to the queue to admit more. I'd say the 45 minute marker would have easily equated to 2 hours. just my opinion.

8 hours ago, rac2703 said:

Considering it was a Public Holiday the park would have been running on skeleton staff, top that with the fact that Movie World and Wet 'n' Wild were closed and you would have to expect long lines throughout the park.

Sunday wasn't a public holiday which I am guessing based on when Spotty replied is when they went. Dreamworld doesn't open the Anzac Day public holiday.

• Richard changed the title to Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016