Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016

Mystery solved......

Hi Jason.

Our Thunder River Rapids ride is 30 years old and is always having performance and safety enhancements performed while on Annual Maintenance, some are more obvious than others. This year there will be 3 main changes which we imagine will be more obvious to park enthusiasts such as yourself. 

We have added guide rails, as you have noted, these are being installed to provide a minimum depth of water under the raft. A roll back prevention device on the elevator, and a gate across the reservoir to prevent rafts floating out of the troughs when the pumps are down and water levels are lowered. All enhancements are to decrease down time and increase efficiencies. 

None of the enhancement will change the experience during normal ride operation. 

Thanks for the question.

But have any of these things actually been an issue in the 30 years it has been operating?

I can see that a raft bottoming out in that area where the water would be the shallowest could cause back or neck injury or the possibility of a collision between two rafts should the first become stuck...  The rollback on the lift is interesting but guessing so one raft does not slide back into another again causing injury from collision...  Gate on the reservoir obviously to prevent rafts flowing in given if it was with guests on board leaving them stranded while the park has to figure out a way to retrieve them...

Personally it seems like they preventative measures after the recent events at the park to ensure they cannot be found negligent in any way...

I wonder if it has anything to do with the day the maintenance crew where seen all over it a little while ago.  Strange to think that the gate has been open for 30 years and now they want to close it.  I wonder what affect the rail system will have on the water flowing at this point and maybe the new rail system might cause the rafts to go into the water storage area so they are closing it off.

I wonder if it's ever happened that a raft made it into the reservoir.  I kinda assumed it wasn't possible (like the rafts would be too big).  Would be an epic thing to see happen though.  

Also just as an aside I'm surprised at how deep the water is.  I also  wonder if there's any chance of some extra Rapids since the chance of something bad happening has been reduced with the rails.

Wonder no more my good man...

No worries at all. You can let your discussion group know that we have had rafts go in to the reservoir, if all the pumps go down, or if needed to be shut down.  That water flows back that way as a design, and if staff didn't get there quick enough, the rafts can get through. I am surprised no one from Parkz has ever seen that happen or has ever spied the dingy tied up in the reservoir, which was then rowed out to retrieve the rafts. Guests loved it as a novelty, but was hard on staff smile :-) So this solves that, and gives us back that extra time from performing the retrieval to get the ride back sooner. 

Edited by reanimated35

They're also going to ask if the maintenance guys can grab a photo of the rollback device before the ride is filled again too. 

Tell AlexB, that I am pretty awesome, but sometimes the answer needs to be "watch this space" because it is either not confirmed or not yet approved for public knowledge. Plus, a Koala has to eat :-)

also, that's made me hungry so I shall leave you all to chat alone again now.

Wow, how awesome is Dreamworld for being so open and detailed about their ride maintenance! If said DW rep is reading this, thank you so much for keep us theme park geeks informed. Much appreciated :)

This is a prime example of why I personally think Dreamworld is the best park out of the lot, because they always willing to take the time and go the extra mile for their fans lol ❤?

41 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

They're also going to ask if the maintenance guys can grab a photo of the rollback device before the ride is filled again too. 

Awesome! I look forward to this ☺

ETA: LOL at that direct response to Alex B's post! Wasn't expecting that ???

Edited by Theme Park Girl

1 hour ago, Theme Park Girl said:

This is a prime example of why I personally think Dreamworld is the best park out of the lot, because they always willing to take the time and go the extra mile for their fans lol ❤?

Ahem @Mark Shaw ???

I'll assume you meant "out of the gold coast parks" rather than "the lot". Whilst i'm cautiously optimistic about this new found openness from DW, I have to say I find the information from Mark and the team at AW to be AWesome.

8 hours ago, AlexB said:

Ahem @Mark Shaw ???

I'll assume you meant "out of the gold coast parks" rather than "the lot". Whilst i'm cautiously optimistic about this new found openness from DW, I have to say I find the information from Mark and the team at AW to be AWesome.

Lol. Of course I'm referring to the GC parks - I did say it was my *personal* opinion, @AlexB ? So naturally that means it's from my own experience and judgement, in which case I haven't been to Adventure World (or WA, at that) nor do I really follow the thread about it much.

I do realise however that Mark as the CEO/manager of the park does post on here first hand, and I think it's great. I just naturally can't form an opinion on a place (or person) I don't have any first hand experience with. So I'm sticking to the ones I know and love :)

Edited by Theme Park Girl

Here are two pictures of the Rapids Ride from today.

13231078_1741271292780271_1648072216_n.jpg

13236173_1741271279446939_732538943_n.jpg

On a smaller note; there seems to be some changes that are being made to one of the enclosures that usually house a Cassowary.

13231165_1741272426113491_2111786604_n.jpg

Dora Explorer Sea Plane globe is now among the other old parts found in the Dreamworld Graveyard - aka. old Thunderbolt footprint (no photos unfortunately)

Just as a note; the Sea Plane globe has been there for a few weeks, I have just been too lazy to photograph it.

But to make up for that here is a shot of the Baldwin.

13235803_1741272429446824_1283271547_n.jpg

Also, this is the last time Stormtroopers Weekend will be running according to the Dreamworld Facebook page, so to those who are going tomorrow, I hope you enjoy it! :)

Capture.PNG

Edited by ThemeTendo

15 hours ago, ThemeTendo said:

Here are two pictures of the Rapids Ride from today.

13231078_1741271292780271_1648072216_n.jpg

13236173_1741271279446939_732538943_n.jpg

On a smaller note; there seems to be some changes that are being made to one of the enclosures that usually house a Cassowary.

13231165_1741272426113491_2111786604_n.jpg

Dora Explorer Sea Plane globe is now among the other old parts found in the Dreamworld Graveyard - aka. old Thunderbolt footprint (no photos unfortunately)

Just as a note; the Sea Plane globe has been there for a few weeks, I have just been too lazy to photograph it.

But to make up for that here is a shot of the Baldwin.

13235803_1741272429446824_1283271547_n.jpg

Also, this is the last time Stormtroopers Weekend will be running according to the Dreamworld Facebook page, so to those who are going tomorrow, I hope you enjoy it! :)

Capture.PNG

Yeah it is ? TPSN claims it's because Disney are stamping it out, but I haven't read anything to confirm that. Either way, it's officially over ???

Screenshot_2016-05-14-22-07-20.png

• Richard changed the title to Tiger Island Refurbishment - Dreamworld 2016