Shanghai Disneyland revealed ahead of June opening

Parkz News

Shanghai Disneyland revealed ahead of June opening

Disney have ended speculation over their newest theme park with the announcement of 16 June 2016 as the official opening date for Shanghai Disneyland Park. The Magic Kingdom style theme park will be their first in mainland China and will feature a wide range of attractions both Disney classics and firsts.

Click here to continue reading

I personally believe the park will be amazing & completely unique in many ways which I feel is a good thing. The Chinese market is so different to where they have built before.  Before anyone says " What about Hong Kong? " remember it was under English rule for 155 years so they are quite Westernized.

Shanghai will still have a Main St ( as such ) Tomorrow Land with two unique rides Tron Cycles & Jet Packs. It also features an Adventure Land type area called Adventure Isle which looks massive & has an awesome rapids ride, then at Treasure Cove is their version of Pirates Of The Caribbean ( Battle For The Sunken Treasure ). From all I saw & heard at the D23 Convention it will be the most amazing version of this attraction yet with boats moving backwards, forwards & sideways while surrounded by the most detailed scenes ever. Add to all of that the most massive castle ever built in a Disney park with a lot of the Fantasy Land dark rides, a new boat ride & the Seven Dwarfs Diamond Mine ride from WDW....There are many other rides, attractions & dining choices throughout the park & some of the most beautiful theming as well… What's NOT to like?  

• No Main Street USA
  • No Space Mountain
  • No Railroad
  • No Haunted Mansion
  • No Western area
  • Generic castle

As I said, a lot of things that are so typically 'Disney'Land (world) are missing from this park. There's a whole bunch of new stuff, which are quite unknown. It could be a very good (different) take on Disney parks - something different for them which could then branch out to the other parks too... but until it opens, i'll retain my mixed feelings.

The Hong Kong park was clearly a product of a small budget -- a final parting gift of Michael Eisner as it were.

In this case the money is certainly there and the sheer scope of some of these new ideas is unlike anything Disney has ever done. Some of the changes work for me -- TRON looks like an amazing coaster, Adventure Isle and Treasure Cove look to live up to what they're replacing. Main Street USA is a loss, but if the censorship theory is correct then it's better than no park at all!

The one that really gets me is the lack of a railroad. Whether this is censorship, design constraints or something else, it just seems like the biggest departure from the Disneyland/Magic Kingdom concept of anything.

11 hours ago, AlexB said:
  • No Main Street USA.......
  • No Space Mountain
  • No Railroad
  • No Haunted Mansion
  • No Western area
  • Generic castle

As I said, a lot of things that are so typically 'Disney'Land (world) are missing from this park. There's a whole bunch of new stuff, which are quite unknown. It could be a very good (different) take on Disney parks - something different for them which could then branch out to the other parks too... but until it opens, i'll retain my mixed feelings.

No Main Street USA....True but there are plenty of shops in the park, it is being built predominantly for the Chinese & they may have a very valid reason for omitting this from the plan.

No Space Mountain...That's right, they have the Tron attraction in it's place. DisneyLand didn't have Space Mountain until 1977

No Railroad...True but again, there may be a valid reason for this.

No Haunted Mansion...True but neither did Hong Kong when it opened & now it has a totally unique version of this ride with Mystic Manor.

No Western area....Perhaps they don't think it's relevant to the Chinese Guests?

Generic Castle.....The castle they are building is mind blowing. I think it's great to see another adaptation of the castle.

I am a HUGE Disney fan & a purest in many ways, I hate the idea of what they are currently doing to the park in CA for Star Wars as I believe it should have it's own park. However, I think Shanghai will be an amazing park regardless.

Edited by DisneyDoll