Dreamworld Steam Train

Inverted

11 hours ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

One question for the Guru's, has the steam whistle been changed (or tweaked) at all throughout its history in the park? I remember riding the Perry back when the whistle was a bit of a lower pitch and then in its final operating months, the whistle seemed to be a higher pitch. Is this just my imagination or is it actually true?

Yes, Wil_i_am_not, during the last ten years of operation a number of different whistles were fitted on the engines, including a couple of 3-chime whistles at different times, so it was not just your imagination. These were supplied by an enthusiast who has a collection of whistles and wanted to put them to good use.  A couple were VERY loud, with a 3-chime one being most melodious.  Different styles and dimensions of whistles produce different sounds.  "Wear" would not be a factor in producing a different sound, as the only part to wear is the whistle valve, which would allow a little leakage all of the time.  Refacing the valve would cure that. 

13 hours ago, The Sunlander said:

Yes, Wil_i_am_not, during the last ten years of operation a number of different whistles were fitted on the engines, including a couple of 3-chime whistles at different times, so it was not just your imagination. These were supplied by an enthusiast who has a collection of whistles and wanted to put them to good use.  A couple were VERY loud, with a 3-chime one being most melodious.  Different styles and dimensions of whistles produce different sounds.  "Wear" would not be a factor in producing a different sound, as the only part to wear is the whistle valve, which would allow a little leakage all of the time.  Refacing the valve would cure that. 

13 hours ago, The Sunlander said:

@The Sunlander, I disagree with you, I have heard and seen whistles make different sounds altogether over prolonged use.

@Wil_i_am_not here is a video of the chime whistle that The Sunlander spoke of, watch right to the end.

1 hour ago, reanimated35 said:

I do plan on getting back to the park to ride the steam train again, but this weekend I'm taking a ride on the AC16 221A instead.

7925.1121147040.thumb.jpg.402e2ab4ed22c2

For those who are not aware, AC16 221A is a "big sister" to Dreamworld's engine, as it also was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia, in 1943.  Twenty of these came to Queensland in 1943 to assist in the war effort, and two survive - one still with QR in the heritage fleet, and one at Zig Zag Railway in the Blue Mountains.

Edited by The Sunlander
AC6 should be AC16

• 4 weeks later...

A nice picture posted of the Baldwin on the Dreamworld Railway Appreciation Club Facebook group. 

Its always nice to see some old photos of the engines and park. Makes you wonder what else is out there, hiding in peoples photo albums.

Engine is running this weekend (well according to the Website). Anyone going?

DW-Baldwin3.jpg

17 hours ago, T-bone said:

A nice picture posted of the Baldwin on the Dreamworld Railway Appreciation Club Facebook group. 

Its always nice to see some old photos of the engines and park. Makes you wonder what else is out there, hiding in peoples photo albums.

Engine is running this weekend (well according to the Website). Anyone going?

DW-Baldwin3.jpg

Yes, an old photo alright - displaying the polished appearance the engines were always presented in.  The style of overalls worn by the driver was not used in the last 16 years,   It appears to be a specially posed photo (as a publicity shot perhaps??) as there are no carriages attached.  Thanks T-bone.

That is a cool photo!  I think there are carriages though, if you look to the right of the engineer's wrist that looks like the stroller carriage.

On this subject, how many passenger cars does Dreamworld have these days?  They used to have enough for 2 trains, but there was a photo that showed a pretty empty looking shed recently.  Also does anyone else remember the freight cars you could ride in?

There's 3 of the Disney style enclosed carriages these days Joz, and the Pizza cart/ guards van/ wheel chair carriage. There was a set of 3 open carriages which are the freight cars you mentioned. They were used in the days when they ran 2 trains at once. Two of those cars have been scrapped, however the last one was salvaged and donated to Woodford at the same time the Perry was donated. I saw it on Monday at Woodford, however I didn't get a photo as it started to rain so we had to seek shelter, however next time I will make sure I get a photo.

Edited by T-bone

1 hour ago, T-bone said:

There's 3 of the Disney style enclosed carriages these days Joz, and the Pizza cart/ guards van/ wheel chair carriage. There was a set of 3 open carriages which are the freight cars you mentioned. They were used in the days when they ran 2 trains at once. Two of those cars have been scrapped, however the last one was salvaged and donated to Woodford at the same time the Perry was donated. I saw it on Monday at Woodford, however I didn't get a photo as it started to rain so we had to seek shelter, however next time I will make sure I get a photo.

I'll try to remember to get one on Sunday whilst I'm there. 

1 hour ago, T-bone said:

Yes. 20-odd years ago two trains operated.  The carriages running at the present time are the original set from "Day 1" and are exact replicas of the carriages at Disneyland (although running on two foot gauge track instead of three foot.)  The van where the conductor rides is known as "The Motz" (Motzarella van) because of its red/white/green paint scheme.  It houses an axle-driven air compressor for air-braking through the train and an alternator for the public address system and lighting for night running.  The second set of three open carriages - the so-called freight cars - was dispensed with around 20 years ago - one was scrapped, one was donated to Woodford about 8 years ago, and one remains (in poor condition) and resides outside the Trainshed.  It has been used on occasions to transport branches from trees trimmed from line-side, to a point where they can be transferred to truck for disposal. 

25 minutes ago, red dragin said:

I'll try to remember to get one on Sunday whilst I'm there. 

Hi,  Don't forget to get a good photo of the Perry under repair there.

1 hour ago, RabbitohsFan1 said:

kinda sad seeing the old girl ripped from her tracks.

It's currently occupying the shed at the Woodford Railway under minor overhaul. Had its boiler raised slightly to repair broken stays (bars that separate the firebox & boiler to allow water to surround the firebox) about two weeks ago. 

Search ANGRMS on Facebook for photos, or head up Sunday for a look and a ride with the Heritage Diesel cane loco </shameless plug> :D