Doomsday Destroyer - 2016 Movie World construction

I wouldn't be interested in a coaster that's just a coaster for the sake of a coaster. There are some incredible coasters around the world and Movie Worlds new coaster would  have to be as good as or better than in order to claim that it was "Worlds Best". I'm still not sure how a roller coaster could really have a Movie theme either unless it's part of a dark ride.

I'm still hoping that this "Worlds Best" attraction will be something none of us has imagined so far, and won't disappoint.

1 minute ago, pushbutton said:

There are some incredible coasters around the world and Movie Worlds new coaster would  have to be as good as or better than in order to claim that it was "Worlds Best".

So what you're saying is for the coaster to be considered one of the world's best, ....... it has to be one of the world's best....

I'm still not sure how a roller coaster could really have a Movie theme either unless it's part of a dark ride.

56cd8bf241a91_ReactionHeadBash.gif.52745

OMG Push you make my head hurt. Perhaps they can build the world's best museum on monorail technology from the 80s?

For the rest of us we know it's a coaster, because the DA is in for a coaster. 

As for the studios, don't worry about the productions, they come and go and even a 'permanent fence' being built and removed is small change for a major film budget. For all we know the fences are to keep the film academy peeps out!!

The outdoor tank usually films at night if sound is an issue, because as someone mentioned the park and M1 noise are significant anyway. However most shots done there are big exteriors and sound isn't a focus. 

21 minutes ago, djrappa said:

OMG Push you make my head hurt. Perhaps they can build the world's best museum on monorail technology from the 80s?

If somehow my opinions about what makes great theme parks makes your head hurt, I can only suggest ignoring my posts instead of being so rude to me. That would be the mature way to deal with the problem you seem to think you have.

15 minutes ago, OceanGirl said:

The Lethal Weapon rollercoaster managed to pull that off without any real dramas, let alone the many others out there which are movie themed ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Lethal Weapon the same coaster that's now Arkham Asylum?

If so I really can't see how it could have had a movie theme, but I'll give it the benefit of a doubt as I never rode it as Lethal Weapon.

14 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Lethal Weapon the same coaster that's now Arkham Asylum?

If so I really can't see how it could have had a movie theme, but I'll give it the benefit of a doubt as I never rode it as Lethal Weapon.

Yep, it opened as Lethal Weapon, based on the movies of the same name and they advertised and themed it as such. You had to walk through a chinatown themed alleyway to get to it (which, as most know, is now closed off to the public) and there was LW movie posters everywhere, including a big one above the ride entrance. They played the soundtrack to the movies as background music outside.

In its first few years they had a preshow where they would show you a brief 2 minute snippet of a car chase sequence in one of the movies (II, I think) and then tell you that the coaster was supposed to simulate that car chase, barrel rolls and all. However they ended up ditching the pre-show in the end and just ran people straight through from queue to coaster. The theming of the coaster area was all "ghetto" city themed as well, complete with background audio of barking dogs and distant police sirens & incident reports etc.

So they definitely did pull it off quite well in the end, even if it was an unlikely movie series to base a rollercoaster on.

Edited by OceanGirl

10 hours ago, pushbutton said:

I wouldn't be interested in a coaster that's just a coaster for the sake of a coaster. There are some incredible coasters around the world and Movie Worlds new coaster would  have to be as good as or better than in order to claim that it was "Worlds Best". I'm still not sure how a roller coaster could really have a Movie theme either unless it's part of a dark ride.

I'm still hoping that this "Worlds Best" attraction will be something none of us has imagined so far, and won't disappoint.

So previously you said it had to be a well themed dark ride in order to claim 'worlds best'. Now that we seem to have gotten through to you that it's a coaster, you now say it has to be a well themed coaster with a dark ride element to be worlds best.

Oi vey.

I would be interested in a coaster very much thats just a coaster for the sake of vbeing a coaster. As long as some effort is put in to integrate the chosen theme with the surroundings. Green Lantern is a good example of this (which I might add is also a 'movie' theme).

Push, you're in the minority. THe park is not setting out to please the minority. They never will. So you're always going to be disappointed. Unfortunately for you - nobody cares... because - well - you're in the minority (and you're annoying and repetitive).

10 hours ago, reanimated35 said:

So what you're saying is for the coaster to be considered one of the world's best, ....... it has to be one of the world's best....

56cd8bf241a91_ReactionHeadBash.gif.52745

I could not have said that any better.

9 hours ago, pushbutton said:

If somehow my opinions about what makes great theme parks makes your head hurt, I can only suggest ignoring my posts instead of being so rude to me. That would be the mature way to deal with the problem you seem to think you have.

Being rude to you is way more fun... besides - it's hard to ignore someone when they keep repeating that same thing over and over and over again.

10 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Below are some images of what the queue and surrounding area looked like. (images not my own -from Micechat Blogs).

LW20.thumb.jpg.48f8a3589b0921d05bc28be95LW24.thumb.jpg.1655f78a199df37f5cd7b0182LW21.thumb.jpg.02bbb4cd6189394529c38cd4aLW26.thumb.jpg.22593bd788674e50b2b41028aLW10.thumb.jpg.851829908831289ac6fd5a865LW08.thumb.jpg.96f4f797346ada984f10c374dLW07.thumb.jpg.d97fd066eabc5346621fe7669

MWLWNEW07.jpg

Thanks rac2703. I can tell from the photos I would have enjoyed it so much more then than now. 

It was all the little mini theatres and preshows that made the rides special. 

It was that and the studio tours that made it feel like you were in a Movie World. 

Hope they can find some ways to put the magic back as they make changes over the next few years. 

Wow, thanks rac2703 for sharing those pics, brought back so many memories for me of my old fave ride! I spent many, many a day in that outside queue line. I'm still keeping tally of my rides on LW/AA since it opened, currently up to 107 lol ??? Needless to say I won the bet against my best friend years ago when he moved to Melbourne! 

I have to say though, despite all those visits, I don't recall the queue area in that last pic? Was that overflow in the indoor bit where the AA entrance is now? That's all I can come up with ? Seems odd that I never saw it, despite practically living and breathing that coaster (including during peak period) for a year back when it opened... 

ETA: oh wait. I am guessing that WAS inside the AA entrance, I can piece it together now. Just occurred to me I didn't go on LW in its later days after the entrance was relocated to where it is now.  I guess they got sick of walking people through the preshow theatre after they well and truly stopped screening it ?

Edited by OceanGirl

2 minutes ago, OceanGirl said:

I have to say though, despite all those visits, I don't recall the queue area in that last pic? Was that overflow in the indoor bit where the AA entrance is now? That's all I can come up with ? Seems odd that I never saw it, despite practically living and breathing that coaster (including during peak period) for a year back when it opened... 

Yes, the last shot is more recent. That is were the cage full of cars was in the original queue set up. when the moved the entrance for Lethal Weapon to the side (its current entry), they removed the cars and that is what is pictured. that area is now the main queue of AA were all the prison cells are.

14 minutes ago, rac2703 said:

Yes, the last shot is more recent. That is were the cage full of cars was in the original queue set up. when the moved the entrance for Lethal Weapon to the side (its current entry), they removed the cars and that is what is pictured. that area is now the main queue of AA were all the prison cells are.

Only pic I could find of the 'cage full of cars'. It was implied to be a junkyard and it is where the dog barking sound effects emanated from.

This view I believe is what you see from exiting the theatre pre-show. You walk around to the right and enter the ride queue through that opening on the middle-right of picture.

IMG_9834.jpg

Edited by savvy14
words

2 hours ago, savvy14 said:

Only pic I could find of the 'cage full of cars'. It was implied to be a junkyard and it is where the dog barking sound effects emanated from.

This view I believe is what you see from exiting the theatre pre-show. You walk around to the right and enter the ride queue through that opening on the middle-right of picture.

IMG_9834.jpg

I used to love the Lethal Weapon theming. The Chinatown alley was so well done with lots of little details. And the car scrapyard was excellent, with the barking dog and sirens providing that extra 'city' ambience. It's the sort of thing the Justice League city scene needs. I was really disappointed with the Arkham Asylum theming. Looks like they needed a bigger budget - it's all just 2D stickers and plastic columns that wobble when people hang off them in the queue.

6 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Thanks rac2703. I can tell from the photos I would have enjoyed it so much more then than now. 

No you wouldn't have, unless you enjoy getting a splitting headache.

The theming was better than AA's, and the pre-show would've been nice (I never got to experience it with the pre-show), but AA is certainly better simply because you don't come off the ride with your skull smashed to bits. And I find the current theming and storyline are still reasonably decent.

• Richard featured and unfeatured this topic