Doomsday Destroyer - 2016 Movie World construction

22 hours ago, AlexB said:

The circle looks purely decorative, and I'd imagine if the circle didn't fit with the theme for doomsday, MW would have elected simply to not have it as part of the ride. It doesn't appear to serve any purposes, other than to represent the circular nature of themes (like a clock for instance) so unless MW has come up with a clever way to integrate it into the ride theme, i'd sooner they left it off.

It's a bit hard to go off a picture at the moment and I'm no engineer.  To me it looks like the circle is used to help transfer some of the load down the centre column.  Also it also looks like it braces the top of the motor by locking it into the bottom of the column.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

I'll admit - I hadn't seen the mount points indicated in the above picture when I said that, and after recognising the mounts for what they were, I totally agree with you.

I thought the same as you too.  When I saw the photo of the ride I thought the circle was an extra and was hoping they would not include it in the MW ride.  The angle of the top mount and what it is connecting is what has changed my mind.  I also believe the reason why it will be constructed latter is to allow ease of build around the motor & gearbox area. 

I like what they have done with the arms so far and think it already looks better than the one in the photo.  As long as the keep it going throughout the rest of the ride I think MW might have pulled it off.

testdfdfdfdfdfdf.jpg

For other people who don't follow me or haven't seen the connection points I am talking about.

1. Connection to column

2. Bracing connection point back to main column. 

3. Blue arrows is the twist and loads getting put back into the foundation.

Edited by skeetafly

4 hours ago, AlexB said:

cue update from TPSN in about 12 hours time spruiking their 'exclusive first look at the carriages'

Side note of no relevance - for this style of ride, I prefer 'Gondola' to 'Carriage'

4 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

Haha. Duly noted. Was posted on the fly, have edited it now for ya @AlexB :)

I prefer "sit-bits"

I reckon tomorrow, going by how fast progress has been in the past couple of days. Shame I have to do a split shift at work over lunch & dinner, otherwise I'd go down there again to check it out :lol: Maybe Friday morning :D

After seeing the ride with the first parts of the gondolas attached, I can totally see why they label it a "twin hammer" now. That's quite literally what it looks like! :)

12 hours ago, skeetafly said:

This is a new "CATERING SHED"

Application Number: BLD201606818
Description: CATERING SHED
Code: BUILDING
Class: RETAIL/DINING/SERVICES
Work: CONSTRUCT
Lodged: 24/05/2016

If that's a catering shed then they might be using the show stage for the roller coaster or something else in the future. Don't they hold events in the show stage as well as mazes? This way they wouldn't lose a function space.

16 hours ago, Theme Park Girl said:

I reckon tomorrow, going by how fast progress has been in the past couple of days.

Sorry for the crappy photo, but you're not exactly wrong, Theme Park Girl. It appears as if they are going through the same process that happened with the arms; they're testing to see whether each piece fits together properly

IMG_1293.jpg

On 25/05/2016 at 10:33 AM, skeetafly said:

This is a new "CATERING SHED"

Application Number: BLD201606818
Description: CATERING SHED
Code: BUILDING
Class: RETAIL/DINING/SERVICES
Work: CONSTRUCT
Lodged: 24/05/2016

I wonder if this is in support of the production of Thor starting next month at the studios, or part of the park?

• Richard featured and unfeatured this topic