Doomsday Destroyer - 2016 Movie World construction

14 minutes ago, Hypermarket Hero said:

This sounds abysmal! Unless this is being placed in the middle of Superman as previously planed I am not for this at all! We do not need more of a DC presence on the other side of the park (or at all for that matter)!

Bit hard to judge it as abysmal given we really know nothing about it...

and DC is already immensely popular, and with the cinematic universe beginning next month with Batman V Superman it will only get more massive. Target market loves it. 

I'm not sure they've thought this one out.  We live in a world filled with so much real destruction and terror, and every day brings more news of horrific cults which actually try to bring about an actual doomsday. The last thing people want to see or hear about at a theme park is stuff that sounds like more of it. 

Also it's definitely NOT good to be bad. What sort of messages might kids get from that?

Disappointing marketing. I hope the reality of the development and the ride will be far more pleasant. 

6 minutes ago, xRazzBerryx said:

It says 'a monstrous looping ride'.

My guess is a Larson SuperLoop? Six flags have installed some of these & some are themed to villains. This is just a guess though, there are heaps of rides that loop. ?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is exactly the same thing that came to my mind. Could be fun as long as it's not a single circuit. Might be completely wrong though. 

Seems to be the time for them though. Didn't six flags just add a heap of them?

10 minutes ago, liz.wis said:

Wondering if this is the same as the Doomsday proposal we reviewed a while back?  It'd surely be strange to name another thing Doomsday, when it's not the most known villain.

ETA:  As in, to create a whole new concept around the idea of Doomsday.

You'll find its one attraction in the new area. And given he's the bad guy in what will likely be the biggest movie of the year, he'll be well known in 4 weeks 

1 minute ago, pushbutton said:

I'm not sure they've thought this one out.  We live in a world filled with so much real destruction and terror, and every day brings more news of horrific cults which actually try to bring about an actual doomsday. The last thing people want to see or hear about at a theme park is stuff that sounds like more of it. 

Also it's definitely NOT good to be bad. What sort of messages might kids get from that?

Disappointing marketing. I hope the reality of the development and the ride will be far more pleasant. 

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Are you really relating a theme park attraction to terrorist activity?

6 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Bit hard to judge it as abysmal given we really know nothing about it...

and DC is already immensely popular, and with the cinematic universe beginning next month with Batman V Superman it will only get more massive. Target market loves it. 

I’m sure the attraction will be fantastically executed and be of a decent quality, I just feel from a theme park as a whole situation, it doesn’t really fit stylistically with the rest of the park in that location. The fact the DC Comics presence is outweighing (even more so) the Movie presence is what I find abysmal.

Having said that, it might lead to a potential DC themed Stunt show in the arena I wouldn’t be against.

One hopes that, with the establishment of a super-villain area, and the existence of a super-villain ride (Arkham) already, that they will eventually link the two areas together with a path, precinct or attraction that stretches from showstage, behind scooby to the Arkham courtyard. The 2017 coaster could potentially do just that...

I am glad to see MW investing in what sounds like a good quality flat ride - it's what they've been sorely needing for a while now. I'm mildly disappointed that they've again gone with something DC, and make a quick mental note of how stuffed they're going to be if they ever lose the DC license.

I'll reserve judgment of the ride and the theme until such time as I see it actually on site, and see how good the ride is, how well the theme is integrated, and whether the popularity of the character in the upcoming film justifies the theme of an entire ride.

2 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I agree with you Hypermarket Hero. Where are the MOVIE references?

these characters are all in movies, or will be soon. What's your point?

51 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Are you really relating a theme park attraction to terrorist activity?

Thanks for saying what we were all thinking?

23 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I agree with you Hypermarket Hero. Where are the MOVIE references?

Let's see...

the DC cinematic universe is massive, with many iconic characters on film. This will only further develop in the next 5 years. What do u not understand?

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:53 PM, joz said:

If they were to add any more DC it'd be evil!

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 1:04 PM, joz said:

I keep saying it, but I look forward to the collective 'eh?' when it's announced, about the best thing that can be said for it is it does give the park some much needed filler.

I'll just leave these here.

I feel like this isn't the most surprising thing to happen. Personally I'm a little disappointed at the DC theme being continued but I do completely understand it from a marketing/theme continuity. Personally I like the idea of 'original' attractions more, things like WWF or Thirteen (Alton Towers). In saying that I would not complain at all if it was Batman themed... Maybe I just don't find DC interesting.

Enough thinking out loud. I think it's a nice refresh to an area that was well themed but really underused. MW has been screaming out for more rides to soak up the crowds and if this is high capacity it should do the trick. I really hope they do continue with building a rollercoaster as well. I think they could do something really fun with a Bizarro themed Mega-Lite or something along those lines. Highly unlikely though!

1 hour ago, xRazzBerryx said:

It says 'a monstrous looping ride'.

My guess is a Larson SuperLoop? Six flags have installed a lot of these lately! This is just a guess though, there are heaps of rides that loop. ?

image.jpeg

god i hope it's not one of them. they clearly said they would be adding something that no one else has seen before...well this isn't it! someone get down to the park and see if they can spot the track :P

Edited by bladex

13 minutes ago, bladex said:

god i hope it's not one of them. they clearly said they would be adding something that no one else has seen before...well this isn't it! someone get down to the park and see if they can spot the track :P

Think that was in reference to the 'roller coaster' development for next year. 

Some more non-info -

http://mediacentre.myfun.com.au/press/press_details.cfm?location=6

Let's call them to stay up-to-date.

OXENFORD, QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA – February 23, 2016 – Warner Bros. Movie World is set for a villainous take-over with the announcement of the world-first DC Comics Super-Villain themed area launching in October 2016.

DC Comics Super-Villains Unleashed, an immersive themed area, is home to the Doomsday Destroyer, a monstrous looping ride like nothing else ever seen at Warner Bros. Movie World.

As Warner Bros. Movie World celebrates its 25th anniversary, Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate visited the iconic theme park to help make the announcement and received a heroic welcome from members of the Justice League – including Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and The Flash.

Warner Bros. Movie World General Manager, Greg Yong said this is an exciting announcement for the park with DC Comics Super-Villains Unleashed and the Doomsday Destroyer sure to offer guests a range of unique experiences.

“There has always been a focus on DC Comics Super Heroes at Warner Bros. Movie World but these new attractions will showcase the Super-Villains from the DC Universe,” he said.

“DC Comics Super-Villains Unleashed and the Doomsday Destroyer will unleash an army of DC Super-Villains upon the park with the aim of causing mass destruction in their wake.

“This is the first of a number of significant developments for Movie World and we thought it was only fitting to have Mayor Tom Tate to help make the announcement and meet some of our DC Comics Super Heroes.”

To stay up-to-date with DC Comics Super-Villains Unleashed and the Doomsday Destroyer visit themeparks.com.au or call 13 33 86.

Let's all call them to stay up-to-date.

2 hours ago, bladex said:

they might as well rename the whole damn park to DC world now!

...just said that myself.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

One hopes that, with the establishment of a super-villain area, and the existence of a super-villain ride (Arkham) already, that they will eventually link the two areas together with a path, precinct or attraction that stretches from showstage, behind scooby to the Arkham courtyard. The 2017 coaster could potentially do just that...

I am glad to see MW investing in what sounds like a good quality flat ride - it's what they've been sorely needing for a while now. I'm mildly disappointed that they've again gone with something DC, and make a quick mental note of how stuffed they're going to be if they ever lose the DC license.

I'll reserve judgment of the ride and the theme until such time as I see it actually on site, and see how good the ride is, how well the theme is integrated, and whether the popularity of the character in the upcoming film justifies the theme of an entire ride.

these characters are all in movies, or will be soon. What's your point?

So, they're going to link AA to this area somehow? Walkway around behind SDSC? Maybe the new Coaster is DC Villain andthe station is Show Stage/behind SDSC and leads out to the front of the park as reanimated said last year? Somehow travels over/through AA, SE and JL out to the swamp out front?

[EDIT]

Ha Ha, I should finish reading threads before posting. AlexB and I have the same thoughts on this.

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

Thanks for saying what we were all thinking?

Let's see...

the DC cinematic universe is massive, with many iconic characters on film. This will only further develop in the next 5 years. What do u not understand?

Because all the DC rides at Movie World are comics-based, not movie based. Might start calling it VRDCW now.

Edited by Glubbo

I'm very much looking forward to these attractions. I think it is safe to say it will be  in the currently fenced off area. It would have been nice to have a ride themed to something seperate from the DC Universe. But as stated, DC comics are as popular as ever, and with the number of films coming out in the next 5 years based on the character, it's fitting. And just because it's themed to something some people aren't happy about, isn't going to stop them from riding it, and if they like it and the area is themed well, then people will stop complaining. I do this however that the two DC comics area will need to have some link, and as said, this probably won't happen until the coaster is installed, if it is between the areas. There seems to be plenty of space for a coaster, which could have the station and queue in the sound stage, which could allow for some very immserve theming.

image.thumb.png.885d85ad5e1946baa3fc5feb

If those smaller buildings were removed, then that is a large space for a coaster, and could be MWs largest. That could then provide a linking path to the courtyard of AA.

I'm also thinking that the area will be opening on the first FN of the year, and maybe the exclusive preview of the area for the pass members will get to see the area and ride DD during the day leading up to the FN.

Edited by themagician

• Richard featured and unfeatured this topic