Hypermarket Hero

Doomsday Destroyer - 2016 Movie World construction

2,092 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, GoGoBoy said:

I'm not sure if other people are finding this convo interesting but I am! I love looking for remnants of old rides, and particularly the Gremlins as I absolutely loved it when I was a kid and thinking about it now brings back great memories. I think we may have discussed this ages back -- but I can't remember what the main show building for Gremlins was like? I know sections of it are still there (the queue and movie theatre sections), but was the main scooby coaster section (ie. the largest building there now) there before? Or is it totally new? It looks like it may have been part of Gremlins but given a height extension? I do remember the final Gremlins scene where they all had firefighters hoses being a really large room and quite high.

I don't want to derail the topic too much but the building was always there, I think the only extension was at the lift section of the dark ride

You can see in the photo below the gremlins entrance is hidden behind the castle facade, I remember looking a while ago and could still see the orange and yellow backing wall 

http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/528-Scooby-Doo_Spooky_Coaster_Construction/gallery/sort/newest/category/construction/location/ride-248/offset/13

 

Ill have to head down soon and check out all this construction 

Edited by buzzkill13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the building was raised significantly. 

The exit bit is enclosed slightly now and where the container used to be is what you can see there with the exhaust pipe which is the backup generator for Scooby. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GoGoBoy said:

I'm not sure if other people are finding this convo interesting but I am! I love looking for remnants of old rides, and particularly the Gremlins as I absolutely loved it when I was a kid and thinking about it now brings back great memories. I think we may have discussed this ages back -- but I can't remember what the main show building for Gremlins was like? I know sections of it are still there (the queue and movie theatre sections), but was the main scooby coaster section (ie. the largest building there now) there before? Or is it totally new? It looks like it may have been part of Gremlins but given a height extension? I do remember the final Gremlins scene where they all had firefighters hoses being a really large room and quite high.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, djrappa said:

I believe the building was raised significantly. 

The exit bit is enclosed slightly now and where the container used to be is what you can see there with the exhaust pipe which is the backup generator for Scooby. 

Yeah I think you're right as there is a line right across the main building where the steel changes colour. They must have cut off the original building at that point and then added the extension from there. Pretty significant modification. Out of interest, the almost identical Gremlins ride at Movie Park in Germany still appears to have the original show building setup to give a clearer idea how it would have been (though it now contains a new ride - Van Helsing's Factory, which looks really good by the way - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KyI_G_f5T0). Here's the Google map of it -

 

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 12.22.36 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I was sleepwalking I got a press release that VRTP were going to build the greatest coaster in the world, but due to budget constraints they could only build a tribute to what would have been greatest coaster in the world. You gotta believe me.

Gremlins sounds like it was a hell of a ride, shame I never visited when that was around.

I'm dying to know what will happen, churro cart guy is only giving me tidbits. I guess we'll have to keep watching the dirt patch.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, downunder said:

While I was sleepwalking I got a press release that VRTP were going to build the greatest coaster in the world, but due to budget constraints they could only build a tribute to what would have been greatest coaster in the world. You gotta believe me.

Gremlins sounds like it was a hell of a ride, shame I never visited when that was around.

I'm dying to know what will happen, churro cart guy is only giving me tidbits. I guess we'll have to keep watching the dirt patch.

 

 

there's a video of the great gremlins adventure in one of my post's above

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember ever going on the Gremlins ride, although it's possible that I did on one occasion the very first time I went to Movie World. 

The staff participation (being actors rather than mere processors) is precisely what made Gremlins an even better experience than Scooby Doo.

Likewise there were actors on Bermuda Triangle at Sea World and it was a vital part of the experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I don't remember ever going on the Gremlins ride, although it's possible that I did on one occasion the very first time I went to Movie World. 

The staff participation (being actors rather than mere processors) is precisely what made Gremlins an even better experience than Scooby Doo.

Likewise there were actors on Bermuda Triangle at Sea World and it was a vital part of the experience. 

No way in this world was Gremlins better then Scooby Doo.

@Richard Do you know what I would like at this point in the post.  I way to put a quick survey into post.  Which was better Gremlins or Scooby Doo? I would also like a FactCheck spot like Q&A does.  I don't want much lol.  So if I say some bullshit then someone can ask for a FactCheck and it can be tacked to it and we can move on.

Edited by skeetafly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a really nice dark ride. It definitely would have horrified me as a child, but now as an adult, I feel like I could actually appreciate it. Just a couple of notes...

  • Who thought it would be a wise idea to go from a light-hearted blooper reel straight to the anarchy of Gremlins?
  • Seems like the designers really had fun with the ride. I just have to smile at some of those gags, like the flashing Gremlin at the clothing department. 
  • The immersion looks amazing. From the pre-show to the off-loading of the ride, it feels as if you're in the middle of a cheesy B-movie. As bad as that sounds, I really like that approach. Granted, I think Gremlin's is the type of ride the would suffer without the acting. The same approach can't really be added to each and every ride.
  • Was Beetlejuice in this? I swear to god that seems like a really weird choice if they did. The same goes for Alf in the German version. I honestly can't find the connection between Gremlin's and those franchises. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never went on gremlins, but looking at the video, it doesn't look like anything terrifying. It probably would have been scary for a a young kid but it has a more comedic and creepy atmosphere than something truly scary. If i was 8-10 years old I probably would have loved this. If you want want to see what a traumatic ride really looks like, look at alien encounter that used to be at Disney world

Edited by coasterdude44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I'm definitely not saying Scooby isn't a great ride, and I don't remember Gremlins so I don't know for sure if it was better overall than Scooby.

My point was just that having actors as part of a ride adds a lot to it.

"I don't remember it, but in my opinion, it was better than this other thing i remember well that still exists."...

come on push - seriously... your opinion is permitted - but surely you're not going to start having opinions on things that you don't even remember...

13 minutes ago, Zanstabar said:

 

  • Was Beetlejuice in this? I swear to god that seems like a really weird choice if they did. The same goes for Alf in the German version. I honestly can't find the connection between Gremlin's and those franchises. 

It was actually "Warner Bros. Classics & Great Gremlin Adventure" so the ride wasn't solely a 'gremlins' experience, and featured other WB characters... which I find interesting because WB published BeetleJuice, but I distinctly remember the character at USH...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The great thing about Gremlins, and Burmuda, and Toons and the Studio Tour/effects stages is they were really long. All 15min or more attractions which is something you don't get from a coaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought BT, LT, BA & Gremlins only used ride ops on the ride. They were just very well trained and knew their scripts and were personable. Same with how at the 4D cinema they're just ride ops that know a script. This way you could move them onto other rides, plus I always thought the ride ops would earn less than those in entertainment.

Am I wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Parkz Crew

    Support Parkz... join the Crew for:

    • Ad-banner free viewing
    • Parkz Crew profile badge
    • Extended editing
    • See who's liked your posts
    • Purchase discounts

    Join Now from $20/yr

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.