Who here likes the new motorsports experience

Bailz

4 minutes ago, Bailz said:

Why is there no one there @Slick

2 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

He most likely went before the park opened. I recall that's when he filmed Buzzsaw.

Correct. Most parks (here and abroad) will always want to minimise impact to paying guests, so filming is generally done when the park is closed. In saying that, the rigs I use to get the shots safely (and by safely i mean not just duct tape, no doubt some readers will know who i'm implying there) are designed so that for the most part I can setup most shots in the time it takes to load on a new cycle of guests.

11 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

Even though it's not the most amazing POV out there, it's certainly the best POV there is of HWSW/Cyclone. Literally what you have out there is a) TPR's Back Seat POV (no idea why they didn't film a front seat), DW's old POV which cuts out half the ride for some strange reason, and DW's newer 360˚ pov, which has awful quality. And of course the crappy povs you get from people breaking the park's rules and shooting on the rides without permission.

Cheers, despite it being shaky, I put opted to put it out there as ironically it's still the best offering out there.

2 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

He is our worlds

This answer I like. 

Yes, @Slick runs the OurWorlds site, and I must say does a great job with the filming work he does.

Given the rules surrounding loose items, and potential injury to guests on a ride that does cross guest pedestrian areas in WWW, most parks only allow filming by special arrangement or during media calls whilst the park is closed, or at least all areas near the ride envelope to prevent injury.

I'm going to go against the grain on this one now that i've heard the song (mostly) in context (Oh and @Slick - I actually thought the POV was great!) - I think the song is quite a good fit for the ride experience.

I'll agree, it's suitability to the theme of hot wheels is a little vague (read: non-existent) but the intro works well with the pre-lift and lift area, it revs up at the right time at the top of the hill, and it's then a fast paced track that really suits the ride.

Has the intro been extended to accommodate the lift hill? It's hard to tell as the (boring) hill was cut (appropriately) in the video, or was it legit the radio edit of the song? (If it was Slick - i'd have gotten the track and laid it over the top of the live audio so it was really clear)

Was 'choose your own song' always planned to be a part of the ride? Are there buttons or such in place to activate this in the future? Or would it require a retrofit later to incorporate the choices?

If it's easy enough, I could see Dreamworld changing the song for special events - something spooky \ scary \ hardcore or suitably suspenseful enough for a night time event like screamworld... or even a Christmas rock song (such as trans siberian orchestra) during christmas time.

There is so much they could do with a generic themed music add-on that wouldn't hurt the hot-wheels brand that they could do various 'overlays' all year.

TL:DR - I don't think Freestyler is that bad a choice TBH.

My thoughts about the soundtrack are that while it fits the theme and does its job, it could be done better. Freestyler fits the theme and provides a soundtrack that mimics most of the rides characteristics, but I just think better choices could have been made. It's not a perfect choice by any means but it's definitely not a horrid addition. If the choice was for Freestyler or no on-board soundtrack at all, I would be jumping with enthusiasm for Freestyler

14 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Has the intro been extended to accommodate the lift hill? It's hard to tell as the (boring) hill was cut (appropriately) in the video, or was it legit the radio edit of the song? (If it was Slick - i'd have gotten the track and laid it over the top of the live audio so it was really clear)

When I was riding HWSW, the track "dropped" as the last car crested the lift hill. The intro does go for quite a while, which I believe has been extended for the ride (unless there is some variation in production with a longer runtime that I'm unaware of).

17 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Was 'choose your own song' always planned to be a part of the ride? Are there buttons or such in place to activate this in the future? Or would it require a retrofit later to incorporate the choices? TL:DR - I don't think Freestyler is that bad a choice TBH.

I personally didn't notice anything to give the impression that "choose your own song" would be added. Seeing a touchpad based system akin to Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit would be a bit out of reach IMHO, but a similar system to Hollywood Dream at USJ doesn't seem impossible. 

1 hour ago, reanimated35 said:

So assuming nothing's changed from cyclone, you'd have a good 20 minutes to set the gear up for this shoot...

Hah! I had a good chuckle at this. Actually unlike Cyclone it really rips into the station quite fast. It's almost a little un-nerving the first time you experience it.

Personally, for rigging gear, enclosed stations are the best, less pressure when you're setting up if any guests end up watching.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Yes, @Slick runs the OurWorlds site, and I must say does a great job with the filming work he does.

Given the rules surrounding loose items, and potential injury to guests on a ride that does cross guest pedestrian areas in WWW, most parks only allow filming by special arrangement or during media calls whilst the park is closed, or at least all areas near the ride envelope to prevent injury.

I'm going to go against the grain on this one now that i've heard the song (mostly) in context (Oh and @Slick - I actually thought the POV was great!) - I think the song is quite a good fit for the ride experience.

Why thank you! I don't want to go into too much technical detail out of fear of copy-cats, I personally go to great lengths to ensure there's a series of redundancies in place (as per manufacturer spec) to avoid something becoming a projectile.

48 minutes ago, Zanstabar said:

I personally didn't notice anything to give the impression that "choose your own song" would be added. Seeing a touchpad based system akin to Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit would be a bit out of reach IMHO, but a similar system to Hollywood Dream at USJ doesn't seem impossible. 

Agreed, in saying that, from what i've heard it's quite easy to change the track should they want to. I'm thinking they could jazz it up every month, or go that extra length and swap the music out for Christmas, Halloween etc. etc.

The Freestyler song version used on Hot Wheels is just the original album version of the track, exact same as they used for the official music video:

Fun fact: I owned a copy of the Bomfunk MC's album when I was a teen, used to listen to it at TAFE non stop ??

On another note, I'm assuming you guys have all seen the 360° Dreamworld 'on ride' video of the HWSW by now... (if not, don't watch it here as it doesn't work the way it's intended to, click on it and watch it on YT for the proper effect) which I think is the most awesome video of it:

Edited by OceanGirl

11 hours ago, OceanGirl said:

On another note, I'm assuming you guys have all seen the 360° Dreamworld 'on ride' video of the HWSW by now... (if not, don't watch it here as it doesn't work the way it's intended to, click on it and watch it on YT for the proper effect) which I think is the most awesome video of it:

Yeah that's the video with the terrible quality I was talking about.

On 3/8/2016 at 3:48 PM, Slick said:

Just to update, here's some on-ride footage I shot recently. I'm still writing up my thoughts about the ride, I think overall it's a nice update. I quite like the Brock's Garage part. Good stuff there. The new train is nice, but Freestylers? Really? That's the song you want to pick for hundreds of thousands of potential riders to hear in the future?

Note: Just before @AlexB chimes in (hah), i'm aware of the overall averageness of this POV. ;)

You were right about the wind noise