Anzac Day - final day of trading

GoGoBoy

I was just reading thunder's post in the Dreamworld forum regarding the QLD parks opening later on Anzac Day. With this in mind, does anyone know what Wonderland is planning on doing? From any info I can gather I think the park is planning to open as usual from 10:00am. I hope this is not the case as it would be an extremely disrespectful thing to do. I believe there are also fines associated with ignoring this rule?! No doubt there will be a number of families at the gate wanting to get into the park at 10:00am who have no regard for Anzac Day but they should be forced to wait. I know at this point the park isn't planning to stay open later on the monday as there is going to be a large staff-only farewell party in the park, commencing at 6:00pm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea of opening late on Anzac day is not so much a thing of respect as it is a law. I believe it's State legislation, and I know for a fact that in Queensland and Victoria, with the exception of necessities (essentially food and medical businesses/shops), you can't open until after 1pm. I'd assume that carries across the nation with fairly consistent similar restrictions. As heartless as it sounds, the Gold Coast parks aren't doing it out of respect (I'm sure the respect is there of course), but because they have to. I'd assume that Wonderland is the same, and I'd be a bit disappointed if Wonderland did open normally because of how it is in NSW or something.

It's hard enough to get those pieces of crap to shut rides down at 11:00 on Rememberance Day. They don't care. I'm pretty sure I worked last ANZAC day and it was business as usual. I think it's disgraceful. These are the same people that would be speaking Japanese if it wasn't for the diggers. Touchy subject with me for a number of reasons. It's something I hold really close to my heart. EDIT: I just rang Wonderland, and they will be opening at 10:00. I think it's downright sh*thouse of them. I know, I know, the language. I'm sorry!

Daniel, unfortunately all Steven Galbraith and Zoe Schobrival (or how ever you say it) care about is their big pay packet in April 27th for shutting the park down well and getting big numbers through the gates. The way that the management has run the park the past 8 weeks has been more or less, saddening. They dont care about anyone, but getting large numbers through the gates. All shows have been cancelled, rides closed etc.... The last thing is, what about us Wonderpass holders. We were there when the park was nothing more than a craphole and we dont even get a decent go in the dying stages of the park. We have to go with every other Sydney-sider and battle the huge crouds. Steven or Zoe, if your listening, it would have been nice to have a Wonderpass only day, but just like Anzac day you dont give a **** (sorry about the language Rich). Wonderland- You'll always remember the bad management!

The restrictions on Anzac Day trading vary from state to state. The restrictions in Victoria and Queensland are different to those of New South Wales. Restrictions on trading are listed under the Shops and Industries Act 1962, and I guess you could consider them to be pretty weak. Bookshops, chemists, cake and pastry shops, refreshment shops, restaurants, take-away food shops, fruit and vegetable shops, garden plant shops, newsagencies, pet shops, vehicle service shops and video shops are all listed as being exempt from the Anzac Day restrictions. In addition, if your store has less than four staff, you are also exempt. The NSW legislation only really governs retail stores. Seeing as Wonderland doesn't really fit that description - that could be the reason it doesn't have to comply with trading legislation. Also, businesses can apply for special permission to trade, and one of the reasons you can apply relates to a need to operate for the benefit of tourism. So I guess if you want to blame someone for Wonderland being able to trade on Anzac Day, blame the government, because our laws on it are pretty pathetic...

It's not so much a legislation thing mate, it's a moral thing. There shouldn't have to be legislation in place telling them they don't open until after the march is finished. I think they should be ashamed. Why is it good enough for the real theme parks to not open until after lunch but not Wally World? I'm not just bitching because they're a bunch of idiots, I'm bitching because it's morally wrong and they should show some respect.

All shows have been cancelled, rides closed etc....
Jagster not all shows have been cancelled and what rides have been closed since the announcement was made that weren't closed beforehand? Also any cancellations of shows would be due to lack of staff more than anything. As for the park operating normal hours on ANZAC day, it's disgraceful and disrespectful. ANZAC day is when every Australian (born here or not) thank all the soldiers involved in not only WW1 and WW2 but all wars that Australia has been involved in. Come on Wonderland do the right thing and open late on ANZAC day. "The Bus is now leaving for ANZAC Shoal Western Australia"

Does anyone know who we can complain to about this Anzac Day issue? Industrial relations? From what I know, on a day to day basis the few shows and rides that are left at Wonderland are not usually 'cancelled'. All shows and rides that were running when the closure was announced are still pretty much running every day. This has been achieved using drastic measures such as putting cast in shows who haven't rehearsed properly and training food & bev and guest relations staff on how to operate rides (they've fast-tracked the training I guess). The problem is that there really was not much left anyway... certainly not enough to support the thousands of people visiting the park every day. No hannah barbera land, no beastie, less kiddie rides, no skyhawk, no cable car, no dragon's flight, no tazzie devil, no mountain cascades, no action man show, no magic show, no special holiday entertainment. I was there the other day and it is obvious that the crowds are starved for entertainment. One costumed marvel character came out (not for a show or anything) and hundreds of people gathered around watching like it was the most amazing thing ever. In normal circumstances I don't think visitors would tolerate the current lack of offerings at the park but I guess exceptions are made because it is closing. Management could probably do anything and still get people through the gates on full price tickets

My god I hope you dont call the Marvel Street thingymejiggy, Outback woolcrap or Blinky bill shows cause theyre utterly crap. I suppose cause wonderland is opening at 10am Anzac Day at least they could offer Half Price tickets or something similiar for their last day of trading, but that would be too much to ask. Most probaly the only way that stevie boy or Zoe will take any notice if everyone bombards the telephone line and let it be known, but fat chance of that!

Wonderland Sydney may have the reason not to close in the morning because of the fact that it is run by a Malaysian company. I know it is disrespectful but, because it is run by a Malaysian company, they may not apply to our Australian standard rules. Well, I will leave you with that, that is all, and yes it is disrespectful.

GoBoi, too little, too late mate. Blacktown Council will reap in the big bucks from the proposed industrial park. The enormous employment opportunities will also encourage speedy re-zoning. As for Anzac Day trading, most tourist attractions open at their normal hours so dont go attacking Wonderland as being incompassionate. Anzac Day is about remembering the contributions of men and women in serving our country - there are other ways to pay respect rather than just opening the park later. You might as well complain to the museums, cinemas....

Well if every single park on the gold coast is opening later then Wonderland should be doing the same thing. I think the rule should be across the board and don't see why tourist attractions should be any different. In regards to sending emails and letters to Blacktown Council I think it is important, regardless of what the outcome will be. I realise that it probably won't change anything but it is important for them to know what people think... otherwise they get away with it all scot free

Actually I believe the re-zoning has not yet happened. Only the areas surrounding Wonderland have been re-zoned. ING has some sort of put and call option thingy in place with Sunway so if the proposal is not approved by relevant councils and the state government, the sale more than likely won't go ahead. They are being very presumptuous which is sneaky because it stops people from saying anything, thinking the deal has already been done. I am fairly sure that they will get approval granted but that shouldn't stop anyone from voicing their opinion. Community voice can be a powerful thing and it has certainly won fights in the past

GoBoi, too little, too late mate. Blacktown Council will reap in the big bucks from the proposed industrial park. The enormous employment opportunities will also encourage speedy re-zoning. QUOTE] What you are referring to is the "Eastern Creek Business Park Precinct Plan Parts 1 and 2". This was passed by Blacktown Council on 24th March this year and covers most of the land between Wallgrove Rd and Wonderland (plus another large chunk abutting the M4) but EXCLUDES the park itself, which at this stage is still zoned special purpose. When I saw the draft plan last year the Wonderland carpark was not part of it but I suspect that it is now. There are a number of councillors at BCC who are mightily ticked off at the park closing and are unlikely to let the next stage (which hasnt even been gazetted by the Dept of Planning yet) go through unless at least some of Wonderland is retained. It all depends on if there is any public outcry over the next year or so I guess. This sort of thing is common with industrial land releases - local councils stipulating conditions on rezoning. Other recent examples have been the Zetland "Serenity cove" development where a deal was struck to locate a film studio there in exchange for rezoning an adjacent huge chunk of land to mixed industrial and residential. The studio was always a total loss for the developer (it will never make any money) but they had to do it to get their grubby hands on the land to build next door. The same thing can and probably will happen at Eastern Creek. BCC will probably rezone about 2/3 of the Wonderland site in exchange for ING retaining 1/3 as a recreational facility. ING get their land rezoned, BCC get their jobs and get to keep a small slice of their precious (only) tourist attraction. It's politics my friends.. and amazingly.. some times (especially when there's lots of money involved and everyone's watching) it actually works. So GoBoi that's what I say, we should all at least make our voice heard. On average for every written letter a local council receives they will assume approximately 1000 of their voters think that way. ZordMaker p.s. if I finish my work tomorrow then I intend to go back to WL on Friday for the last time.. ALL DAY on the BEAST.. Hmm...

Like it or not Blacktown Council are going to do significantly well financially. They'll do much better out of it than they did with Wonderland. You won't hear a peep from the state government on the issue I'll give you the tip. They'll welcome it with open arms. It'll be the usual independants chirping up. If there was going to be a public outcry, it would have happened after the announcement. You say BCC's only tourist attraction, that's wrong. Check your facts. Or at least the council website.

I wouldn't class Blacktown as a tourist-friendly area anyway. The fact is, that's just how the area is. Another fact is that not only will the council stand to make some significant revenue from the business park as opposed to Wonderland, but there will be around six times as many employees than at Wonderland. That could be seen as essentially 2500 more people living in the area and making use of local shops and businesses for their own needs. Not bad prospects for any council really. I'd gladly trade the city's lackluster tourism industry for that.