DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

Thanks for the update on the capping Skeet. My first thought went to risk of impalement with the rebar caps off, and that they'd only want to remove the caps for each footing as each support was installed - so that clears a few things up for me - you are right that it may be indicative of impending construction, but if it's just a case of 'cleanup the concrete on the rebar because we literally have nothing else to do' then it might not be any indication at all.

How is the fence going? Is the permanent fence all up?

Research carried out following the incident included tests that involved dropping a 20 kg bag of sand one metre onto a vertical reinforcement bar. This showed that standard rebar-caps provide little, if any, protection against impalement on reinforcement bars should a person fall against them, even for a fall on the same level.

Knowing nothing about it, I would have thought these days they would have to keep all safety markers/caps on and visible at all times until the last minute. 

Edited by djrappa

46 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

Knowing nothing about it, I would have thought these days they would have to keep all safety markers/caps on and visible at all times until the last minute.

I'm no Doogie Howser on bar safety but that is my understanding.  I also assume now the area is fully secured and no more work is required within the area until the next stage that it would be safe to remove them.

The footing in the car park still has its safety caps on as this is an area that is not secured off to people.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

With the track arrival on the horizon, what colour scheme do people want to see and what colours do you want to rule out?

Colours in-

Supports              -              Teal

Track                     -              Purple

Train                      -              Same colour as the supports.

Colours out-

Anything in pink is a no go for me.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

14 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

With the track arrival on the horizon, what colour scheme do people want to see and what colours do you want to rule out?

Colours in-

Supports              -              Teal

Track                     -              Purple

Train                      -              Same colour as the supports.

Colours out-

Anything in pink is a no go for me.

That's a bizarre colour scheme, but could look pretty interesting.

Just now, Rollercoaster_Lover❤️ said:

But Arkham Asylum has the joker in it and they have too many DC Themed rides

The main reason I think it will Joker or villain themed (so maybe even Harley Quinn, though less likely imo) is because of the whole super villains unleashed thing they did for Doomsday, I think this coaster will be an extension of that. Though I do agree they have too many DC themed rides I hardly think that's going to stop them.

@Cactus_MattAt least the Joker would give me my purple and this is one of the reasons I'm not that keen on the flash coaster. MW already have a red track.  If they go Flash I would like to see the supports red and the track yellow.

@reanimated35 Since when have I ever been bizarre?

Edited by YLFATEEKS

I am realistic enough to say that Flash is the most likely theme for this ride. However - red track and yellow supports to me don't differentiate too much from Superman.

RED supports, YELLOW track and RED train strike me as 'different' enough from Superman to be satisfactory, although I dislike the colour scheme (and too many members of GP would view it as 'looks like cyclone \ HWSW'

I'd be hoping for something very different to what currently sits on the skyline. TBH i'd prefer if they didn't theme to Flash, but that is based on the assumption that this ride is a lift hill - as I wouldn't associate a lift hill with Flash for obvious reasons.. but i'm also realistic enough that it would be somewhere within the DC universe. The park might be predominantly DC attractions lately, but that's where the popularity is, and what their license permits without costing oodles more and starting negotiations from scratch for every new ride theme they do.

1 hour ago, reanimated35 said:

@YLFATEEKS when I think of you, this just starts playing 

I'm more of a fan of this version:

Edited by AlexB
Fixed colour reference screwup

22 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I am realistic enough to say that Flash is the most likely theme for this ride. However - red track and yellow supports to me don't differentiate too much from Superman.

Yellow supports, red track and train strike me as 'different' enough from Superman to be satisfactory,

Huh? I'm confused!

Edited by mission

1 minute ago, Rollercoaster_Lover❤️ said:

Why did they have to Change lethal Weopan To Arkham Asylum? The Only Major Rides In The Park That Aren't DC Themed Are Scooby And Wild West They Need Like A Hunger Games Ride Or A Mad Max Ride

Lethal Weapon premiered in 1987. They released Lethal Weapon 4 in 1998. Now think for a minute - the last film was released ALMOST 20 YEARS AGO. It is today lacking in relevance. The retheme occurred in 2011 - pegging it at 13 years before expiry.

Just like Police Academy 7: Mission to Moscow (1994) saw the demise of Police Academy Stunt Show in 2008 (14 years before expiry)

...and Gremlins 2 - The New Batch (1990) saw the demise of the Great Gremlins Adventure in 2001 (11 years before expiry)

Arkham Asylum continues to have relevance through repeated references in Batman films, games, and comics. I'm sure that, should it stagnate without meaningful inclusion in film, TV and gaming, and lose relevance for over a decade, i'm sure we'd see it replaced too (although by then the ride will have gotten on in years and possibly need replacing too...)

17 minutes ago, Rollercoaster_Lover❤️ said:

I Never Said That Doomsday is a boring Because it's a villian theme but Themes like superman and Greenlauntern are every where in the world 

mmmmkay, why do you suppose that is?

Perhaps, because the themes are popular? recognisable? are likely to last the test of time meaning they aren't just a flavour of the month to need replacing in a year or two?

Please - give an example of a theme outside of the DC universe, that the park would likely and possibly be able to use (so don't say Harry Potter or Disney or some other impossibility) that could realistically still be around in 10 years time and have relevance???

8 minutes ago, mission said:

Huh? I'm confused!

Sorry - thanks for the pickup. i've edited the post to correct the mixup - what i meant was YELLOW track and red train and supports - my reference to Cyclone \ HWSW track (being yellow) should have indicated this, but the fault is my own. Cheers.

11 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Lethal Weapon premiered in 1987. They released Lethal Weapon 4 in 1998. Now think for a minute - the last film was released ALMOST 20 YEARS AGO. It is today lacking in relevance. The retheme occurred in 2011 - pegging it at 13 years before expiry.

Just like Police Academy 7: Mission to Moscow (1994) saw the demise of Police Academy Stunt Show in 2008 (14 years before expiry)

...and Gremlins 2 - The New Batch (1990) saw the demise of the Great Gremlins Adventure in 2001 (11 years before expiry)

Arkham Asylum continues to have relevance through repeated references in Batman films, games, and comics. I'm sure that, should it stagnate without meaningful inclusion in film, TV and gaming, and lose relevance for over a decade, i'm sure we'd see it replaced too (although by then the ride will have gotten on in years and possibly need replacing too...)

mmmmkay, why do you suppose that is?

Perhaps, because the themes are popular? recognisable? are likely to last the test of time meaning they aren't just a flavour of the month to need replacing in a year or two?

Yeah but if they stick with the DC Theme I Would Like To See More villians Then Heros Are An Eaqual Amount But I Didn't Know at the last lethal  weopan movie was Over 20 Years Ago

It doesn't take much to check IMDB. I disagree - whilst it's great to have a 'villain's precinct' the majority of large scale attractions tend to be the 'hero' in the story.

Take SFMM - whilst they do have Riddler's Revenge (villain) they've got Batman, Green Lantern, Road Runner, Speedy Gonzales, Superman - all of which are the 'hero' of their individual stories. You can stretch Apocalypse's former theme of terminator - but you could say it goes either way with that one.

In the non-coaster category, they've got many 'hero' rides in the cartoon \ looney tunes areas. They're also constructing 'justice league - battle for metropolis' shooter - which looks similar to our JL3d again putting it in 'hero' territory, but you do have Lex Luthor's drop of doom (villain), and Wonder Woman's Lasso of truth (hero again).

I know SFMM is but one example, but with its size, gives you a good indication of where themes go when you have a plethora of rides to put them - and 'equal opportunity' for the villains just isn't really there...

I would suggest few punters coming into Movie World would associate the ride with another similarly constructed ride also called the flash somewhere in china, when they'd more than likely associate it with the DC Flash, TV show, and the soon to be released 2018 Ezra Miller film, which is quite the marketing tie-in.

J3Jkr.thumb.jpeg.87782618f9989108715a379228848f74.jpeg

Red and yellow is pretty good... Not my favorite but damn that has gotta be one of the best views from a coaster ever.

Also, if we're trying to rack our brains as to what the ride could be themed to other than super heroes, here are the rankings of box office for Warner Brothers:

58982923e1c13_ScreenShot2017-02-06at5_40_46pm.thumb.png.619a7170083e9df03b6c1cb6e3385f26.png

So... Super heroes are pretty popular. (No wonder there are so many rides themed to them) Other then super Harry Potter, I can see:

American Sniper

Hobbit/ Lord of the Rings

Matrix

Gravity

Inception

Out of those I don't think I could ever see American Sniper being a ride at Movie world, and I can't see inception making a hyper coaster, but maybe Gravity could make a cool hyper? I can see the forces of falling through space comparing to a roller coaster hyper drop, but I think it would be a bit much of a stretch. Now, Hobbit/Lord of the rings? I'm not going to rule it out, but for the ride to be effective enough, it would need a massive deal of theming, like Disney level, and even then I can't see it being a world class ride. Matrix, could make a cool ride, but I'd rather see it as a dark ride if ever. So from the Warner Brothers side, I would think it would be a Superhero coaster. And I dont see it coming from other VRTP movies like their Sony ones, because there is already a themepark being built for that.

I would like to say it could be a mad max ride, and it would be very nice to have the flagship ride being an aussie movie. I could see grey track, which would look great with brown supports, with a heavily themed car to the vehicles in the movies. The only reason I dont think this would happen is I'm really hoping that one day itll be an RMC in the wild west section.

One thing that does pike my interest is the advertisment. The pink signs really intrigues me. I don't see pin kas wonder womans color or the jokers, or basicaly any big DC characters. So that has me thinking. Maybe Movie world is trying to lead us off the trail because they know we're right on to them, or its something none of us have predicted and the ride is themed to something we never would have expected.

Also, only two pages till 100!!!

Edited by Intimidator305.

6 hours ago, AlexB said:

Please - give an example of a theme outside of the DC universe, that the park would likely and possibly be able to use (so don't say Harry Potter or Disney or some other impossibility) that could realistically still be around in 10 years time and have relevance???

There's really not many big franchises left, but ones that I thought of that could work would be Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Dragon Ball, James Bond or alternatively going after video game franchises Sonic/Sega, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy. Pretty broad options with video game franchises, but it comes back to whether its acually worth the money and effort. ( And if the creator will even sell the rights).

I do think Movie World should look at more diversification in its theming. There is  the option of not going with a franchise at all and just picking a generic theme, Steampunk or Pirates ect...

Edited by Chubu

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic