DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

52 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

Ghostship was filmed at the studios had one of the best opening scenes.

Still wont watch that opening sequence...  Only scene in recent memory that has made me squirmish enough to the point I wont watch it again...  Love the rest of the movie though :) 

More on topic...  Anyone have any idea where Mack would normally ship from?

Edited by MaxxTheMonster

@AlexB

I can't remember it being kept in Perspex but I am always wrong.  Don't give the people the wrong idea though when you say scale model.  I recall the scale model was the size of a car.

When we talk about movie props incorporated into a ride lets us all remember Lethal Weapon. 

Lethal Weapon the ride had props from the movie.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

17 hours ago, wileecoyote said:

I personally think that the new coaster is going to be themed to AquaMan. They can use the original set from the movie and use it for theming around the coaster like they did for the batwing ride (with the original bat car). Plus it is also being filmed on the gold coast and would be relevant to the ride.

Im not allowed to let much loose, but I am working on the AquaMan film (this is not bullshit) and I have a pretty good feeling that It could be an AquaMan coaster. Just my speculation is all.

You'll find something like that won't happen because set designers use totally different materials compared to say a permanent install i.e. polystyrene over fibreglass.

1 hour ago, Slick said:

You'll find something like that won't happen because set designers use totally different materials compared to say a permanent install i.e. polystyrene over fibreglass.

Actually (since I also mentioned fibreglass) - I have it on good authority (Universal Studios Backlot Tour video) that some sets are constructed (and this is word for word) out of foam rubber, fibreglass and chicken wire!

But certainly - the materials used are only ever meant to be temporary - long enough to last the film - or in some cases - the franchise if more than one is planned.

9 hours ago, bluman said:

Aquaman won't be hitting the screens anytime soon with a scheduled release date of 5 October 2018

^Good point. Aquaman will be in the Justice League movie though, which comes out in November this year.

Which also reminds me that Wonder Woman will be in the JL movie as well. So we have a Wonder Woman (standalone movie) releasing in June and then the Justice League movie in November. The timing of the movies, plus the fact that we are 98% sure the new coaster will be superhero themed......a new coaster opening in September with a WW theme sounds about right to me. Or maybe i'm looking into things, way too much!

Edited by Luke

9 hours ago, Gazza said:

Yes, film sets are not used in theme parks because:

-They are often too flammable, and often use foams etc that are not safe or insurable for permanent installation.

-Not durable enough for guest abuse.

-Many props and sets look good on screen because they are far away and a camera can only capture a certain resolution, but in real life, up close, are quite rough and don't look good.

This goes for sets both big and small.

Just noticed Gazza's post just then. Totally spot on.

I just came back from Brisbane and did a quick drive-by.

Electrical now being roughed in.  A trench now follows inside of the fence line from GL all the to the site sheds.

It's a no brainer this will be to power the fence lights.

Pop question.

If the lights on the fence are finished within the next few weeks do you turn them on before the coaster opens?

Next question is:

Will the lights be green matching the current GL fence lights or will they be a different colour to match the new coaster?

I still don't know if the electrical roughing in has anything to do with the JL & BW being shut.  If the power is coming from that area and we now have electricians on site it could be the case.

If they are roughing in the ride as well as the fence it could be a little while longer before they are ready to receive the track.

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

But certainly - the materials used are only ever meant to be temporary - long enough to last the film - or in some cases - the franchise if more than one is planned.

Similar things happen in a few of World Fair-esque events as well. The Palace of The Fine Arts in San Francisco, as well as the entirety of Balboa Park in San Diego, were all built using temporary materials which where then decided to be kept well after the exhibitions had finished. As you can guess, as whole load of money, time and manpower was spent trying to keep these structures intact, or rebuild them from scratch.

I don't see the sets for the latest Aquaman film to be as cultural significant as the Palace of Fine Arts so I doubt anyone would be actively seeking to repair and refurbish the set pieces from the film, especially a local park with a limited budget. 

Edited by Zanstabar

7 hours ago, YLFATEEKS said:

Lethal Weapon the ride had props from the movie.

Is that the car that was outside the queue or was there more props?

2 hours ago, YLFATEEKS said:

If the lights on the fence are finished within the next few weeks do you turn them on before the coaster opens?

Will the lights be green matching the current GL fence lights or will they be a different colour to match the new coaster?

If the lights were completed, wouldn't that give away the theme? Hopefully the hypercoaster theme is announced before the lights are completed if so.

I'd think they would leave the lights off though to save electrical costs as it is months before it opens but they might turn them on closer to the opening date (maybe July/August) to assist in promoting the hypercoaster.

I'd also say the lights will match the hypercoaster but who knows what the colour of the lights would be (though I'd think green would be unlikely as GL is next to the hypercoaster).

On 12/19/2016 at 1:24 PM, YLFATEEKS said:

I like the photo you put on Facebook Parkz.

Parkz.jpg

On 12/19/2016 at 2:00 PM, Brad2912 said:

Is the pink wrap a sign of a female-inspired coaster? Hmmm...

On 12/19/2016 at 2:00 PM, MickeyD said:

I wonder, could the colouring of the sign be a clue to the Theme? 

I think @Brad2912 was onto something. IMO this is a big hint towards a Wonder Woman theme. Marketing could've chosen any colour....yet they went with pink.

Has anyone considered that if it is Wonder Woman that the train may be a Mack Xtreme Spinning train?

That would fit WWs lasso.. the video below was shown at IAPPA In Orlando last year

The RCDB page says Extreme Sit Down Steel

Spinning Flash Variant could be Wonder Woman - I am all for a strong female coaster.

I would think that when the GP think DC super hero's the three that almost all of them know are Batman Superman and Wonder Woman. It would be an awesome thing to have what I'd imagine is going to be replacing Superman as the "top" coaster be a Wonder Woman coaster

Just on another note in the video that turnstile loading is so cool especially since it gives two ride options 

Edited by Ratbag93

The footings we have already seen in place don't match those required for the model you have seen, whilst I agree that ride would be a good fit to a lasso, I don't believe that is close to what we are getting at all. 

This ride is more the type of ride that DW should have put in instead of Buzzsaw...

25 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

The footings we have already seen in place don't match those required for the model you have seen, whilst I agree that ride would be a good fit to a lasso, I don't believe that is close to what we are getting at all. 

This ride is more the type of ride that DW should have put in instead of Buzzsaw...

I didnt actually mean the ride layout 

Just the trains

God damn, Mack trains are sexy it has to be said. This ride can't come soon enough.

As for spinning cars. Surely going 200ft in the air removes any need for the novelty of spinning cars. This is going to be the tallest (bar ToT) and hopefully best coaster in Australia, I trust MW will stay well away from gimmicks and just focus on making sure this a good ride.

11 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

I'd think they would leave the lights off though to save electrical costs as it is months before it opens but they might turn them on closer to the opening date (maybe July/August) to assist in promoting the hypercoaster.

Do you really think a couple of dozen LEDs are going to put a dent in their electrical bill? White Christmas has over one MILLION lights. Oh - and the rides tend to chew a bit of power too.

I'm sure we won't see lights on just yet - and if they install the fence toppers before the ride is revealed and the theme known, they can always just put a bag over them until they're ready - but I very much doubt that they'd not turn them on just because of electrical costs. they wouldn't even notice the increase.

7 hours ago, AllegroCrab said:

Surely going 200ft in the air removes any need for the novelty of spinning cars.

196.8 ft ;)

7 hours ago, AllegroCrab said:

God damn, Mack trains are sexy it has to be said. This ride can't come soon enough.

As for spinning cars. Surely going 200ft in the air removes any need for the novelty of spinning cars. This is going to be the tallest (bar ToT) and hopefully best coaster in Australia, I trust MW will stay well away from gimmicks and just focus on making sure this a good ride.

Agreed, I'd much prefer a simple hypercoaster that does exactly what hypercoasters are meant to do than pushing the boundaries with spinning trains. They could make the ride potentially nauseating, and I am planning to ride this coaster a lot of times ;) 

10 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

^Agreed. The Mack xtreme spinning coaster would have been perfect. The spinning cars, plus the twisted track layout suits the Buzzsaw theme very well. Plus having that turntable/dual station setup would have improved capacity dramatically.

Edited by Luke

A trench has be dug along the fencline around nearly the whole site for the electrical piping for the power to the lights on top of the posts.

IMG_6606.thumb.jpg.1f1e7f8f924355aca06a86df5fb5eaed.jpg

IMG_6609.thumb.jpg.a58921ae811b7ccf49bb1329a25d5414.jpg

IMG_6613.thumb.jpg.f5a726d41488f24f3adeb5b5b9301f45.jpg

IMG_6616.thumb.jpg.175e2809a982c63c1c292611540bf343.jpg

More fencing materials arrived

IMG_6605.thumb.JPG.fdf07eddcfecf3b52f2594c3a8660d65.JPG

More piles of soil around the site

IMG_6621.thumb.jpg.494c52d46e2650e4974bdb4b46030558.jpg

IMG_6624.thumb.jpg.412770e364b89868f4ba5344357f75ce.jpg

IMG_6626.thumb.jpg.6e0574ee13b68238844b318ec55f2bc3.jpg

And in this shot I think it is pretty clear where the break run, station, maintenance bay, track to lift hill and the lift hill its self will be.

IMG_6617.thumb.jpg.17b883c21d6522d8f61de4e7818e0cde.jpg

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic