DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

34 minutes ago, themagician said:

So if there is 193 supports, that would mean there are over 200 pieces of track for the coaster, depending on its design. WOW. Just as a comparison, does anyone know how many supports and track pieces there are for SE?

It's not going to be an exact science because some are grouped to one pad.

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.PNG.3ca8bf6dc8254e11d90b2fa9c0cf9bf2.PNG

Switch track has many supports with just 1 label.

I have marked K001 in red on the nearmap image and it goes clockwise.

pier.PNG.188412af4b2257b6ab353f298d153692.PNG

The supports and footings for the maintenance bay will be marked M.  I don't know how old that image is but it does not show the M footings.

Edited by Skeeta

The maintenance bay footings don't exist (yet): https://www.parkz.com.au/photo/14140-Movie_World_hypercoaster_construction.html

It's worthwhile noting that the maintenance bay does not include track. It will feature a steel frame along each side of the train that supports it and allows full access to the chassis for maintenance. See here on a Mack coaster using the same trains:

Maintenance bay: https://rcdb.com/11152.htm#p=52443. Steel support along edge, no track, maintenance guy standing underneath.

Stationhttps://rcdb.com/11152.htm#p=52442. No steel support along edge.

The station tender docs showed the basic structure: https://www.parkz.com.au/article/2017/03/14/465-Tender_documents_reveal_Movie_Worlds_hypercoaster_station.html 

I wonder if the fat lady hasn't sung for the templates located in the first compound.  Only time will tell.

forgotton.thumb.PNG.8dcb58f49e44d850c2546bf52326b754.PNG

On a side note the plans I have posted are from the station plans and are nothing new.  When I started seeing the numbering on the supports it reminded me I had seen the same numbers on the plans.

Good call... updated yesterday's update to reflect this possibility.

Here's another look at a Mack maintenance bay:

dsc_7763.thumb.jpg.ef164e0c260ae9540492a4304d5a44e3.jpg
(photo from: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1436109, plenty of other good ones there too)

I'd guess that these remaining footings will go in when they start work on the concrete slab.

I would think something like maintenance bat (and any appropriate footings) would fall under the station tender and not the coaster yeah?

Being as how the maintenance track doesn't affect the engineering of the ride and all. 

3 hours ago, red dragin said:

It looks like there are little wheels in the side of the body, above the axles, that support the train during maintenance.

Yeah I should have perhaps mentioned that there's separate wheels mounted to the trains for this purpose. For anyone interested, here's the best picture I could find of said wheels, also from that same TPR topic:

dsc_7823.thumb.jpg.3c686e1c39369e62188c49bf47fc36eb.jpg

You can see both clearly here. One is above the wheel assembly, the other is mounted to the chassis towards the front of each car.

That's cool @Richard I wonder how they stop the wheel assembly from rotating or moving around once they have come off the track?

I have been doing the calculations and I am willing to put @Reanimated35 reputation on it.

Movie World’s new coaster is 1370 metres or 4494.7 feet.

Lewa Hyper coaster is 1272.99 metres or 4176.5 feet.

By my calculations, the coaster at MW will be 97.01m longer then Lewa.

For @Reanimated35 reputation I hope I’m right.

Edited by Skeeta

6 hours ago, Skeeta said:

That's cool @Richard I wonder how they stop the wheel assembly from rotating or moving around once they have come off the track?

I have been doing the calculations and I am willing to put @Reanimated35 reputation on it.

Lewa Hyper coaster is 1272.99 metres or 4176.5 feet.

By my calculations, the coaster at MW will be 97.01m longer then Lewa.

For @Reanimated35 reputation I hope I’m right.

Is the 1370 metres including hills, drops and inverions?

Either way this coaster is massive!

Edited by Ryande16

The truck and digger near what will be the new road into MW during the coaster construction are now gone, and a large pile of gravel is in its place. Im thinking that we won't see that begin to be used until after the easter holidays, due to the such high traffic that will be going into the carpark, so that gives a couple of weeks for the majority of track and supports. And then as soon as holidays are over, the temporary road in will be used and vertical construction will begin. And should be complete or almost in time for the winter holidays when the larger crowds will return and the road will reopen as normal.

13 hours ago, Skeeta said:

Also, if this correct, but to give a comparison of lengths:

Thunderbolt was 1207m long

Superman Escape is 760m long

And AA is 765m long

Edited by themagician

11 hours ago, themagician said:

Superman Escape is 760m long

That must include leaving the station and snaking through the themeing?

I suppose you have to include that but really the distance from launch (or top of lift hill) to brake would be better for comparison imo.  AA feels longer the SE for example.

11 hours ago, Gazza said:

Why do you need to prevent it from rotating?

I only say this because by the look of this photo if it did rotate the wheel would hit the platform.

rotate.thumb.JPG.4a1d7a0050f42c26939f3cbf8b4f2487.JPG

Enterprise train.  Wheels rotate and has same wheels to remove train from track.

ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.thumb.JPG.60601500dcc4c2db077e3c2ea53fd8b9.JPG

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssfffffffffffffffffffgggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.thumb.JPG.47225b8e5d03f633af667d178ac81bc2.JPG

Edited by Skeeta

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic