DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

3 hours ago, rummy said:

5906e84735366_turnaround-themetendo.thumb.JPG.6648ada5879d2787b8952d245c837d3a.JPG
Photo: @ThemeTendo

the track placed so far at Movieworld performs a quick airtime pop into a very sudden twist.

That photo is my favourite of this coaster so far. Looks like you'll be flipped over into the turnaround while weightless.

The guy (or one of the people at least) who designed this thing is actually an active user in the NoLimits community and I've had a bit of a chat with him about this ride, he really did keep his mouth shut about it but it's just great to see that Mack has hired someone who tuned their skills just making coasters at home and sharing them online. The best looking coasters I see are virtual ones made by enthusiasts, and it's great to see that the people in this community are getting the chance to have a go at the real thing. I'll be sure to let him know whether it sucks or not!

18 minutes ago, AllegroCrab said:

That photo is my favourite of this coaster so far. Looks like you'll be flipped over into the turnaround while weightless.

The guy (or one of the people at least) who designed this thing is actually an active user in the NoLimits community and I've had a bit of a chat with him about this ride, he really did keep his mouth shut about it but it's just great to see that Mack has hired someone who tuned their skills just making coasters at home and sharing them online. The best looking coasters I see are virtual ones made by enthusiasts, and it's great to see that the people in this community are getting the chance to have a go at the real thing. I'll be sure to let him know whether it sucks or not!

What's his YouTube channel? Would love to see his work. 

Seems more and more likely that this hypercoaster will be more along the lines of a fast and wild 'Intimidator 305' style ride rather than a traditional 'out and back' style ride. While I'm sure there's a few people who will be annoyed at this, the general consensus is that the aforementioned is a spectacular ride and so Movie World's new behemoth is among good company.

Personally speaking, I just hope there's not too many needless inversions, 2 is the absolute maximum I think it needs, just like an RMC. And while I'm sure a massive vertical loop would cut a striking figure for the front of the park I don't know how necessary it is all things considered. Either way, I'm looking forward to the finished product!

By building a loop on the coaster considering this is based of Flash coaster and that holds the record for the biggest loop. We could potential see this coaster having the new record for the biggest loop in the world. Which would be a cool record to have. Plus a massive loop at the front of the park would look cool.

10 hours ago, themagician said:

IMG_7617.thumb.JPG.6b1797951b4c39128804c0d56e562d21.JPG

On 29/04/2017 at 3:34 AM, docoaster said:

nl5.thumb.jpg.24acebebca10101d46504353ae0b0887.jpg

Just gone past and all the supports in the top photo are currently being installed. And you can already tell how intense this drop and turn around point will be, and is very much going to be like how it is shown in @docoaster photo 

From third lane northbound on M1 this morning. Coming north Batshot and Superman are more visible from the highway at this stage though I note the current elements are smaller than the hill will be.

IMG_20170502_111046.jpg

Edited by Nojoy

Not sure I'd put much faith in any of the second/third/fourth hand 'facts' that keep spreading here.

I don't see how anyone's determined that it'll be anything like Intimidator 305? That ride has a layout that's heavy on ground-hugging turns to emphasise speed. It represents the classic conundrum with gigacoasters in that once you reach certain speeds then the cost and space required to go up becomes astronomical because you need to go either really high or really long to manage the forces.

Movie World's hypercoaster (which simply can't be 70m tall, sorry folks) doesn't have that problem. Hypercoasters generate manageable speed where it's not cost or size prohibitive to burn it off with hills. The track that's going up now is for the turnaround section of the ride so it's naturally pretty twisted. The footings however indicate a pretty clear out-and-back layout with a twisted turnaround and some interesting twists in the middle.

Blacking or greying out is a result of high, sustained positive g-forces, such as experienced in banked turns or loops. Different people have different thresholds and it can vary based on hydration, alertness and other things. I don't know why we're suddenly throwing that into the mix here in a discussion about the construction despite no indications of anything resembling sustained positive g-forces.

@GoGoBoy I've greyed out on Superman, I don't see what your problem is.

Also remember i305 is 100ft taller than this coaster will be and its first turn must be the longest sustained Gs on any coaster. I doubt anyone will be greying out much on this.

@Santa07 He's the guy who made the force vectoring plugin for NL1 called FVD. He served an internship at Mack thanks to this and ended up getting a job there. I know this through spending time on the nolimits exchange forums and seeing this story unfold.

I don't know whether he has a degree or not, but I don't see why you need to have an engineering degree to design coasters, you'd be working with a team of people with all different areas of expertise. This guy is clearly skilled at more than just making coasters, I wouldn't be surprised if he has a degree in engineering/computer science/software etc.

Edited by Richard
Removed username for privacy.

@AllegroCrab If he was the guy who designed FVD then I would assume he does hold some sort of engineering degree or is just bloody smart... the mathematics behind forces is quite complex when you get into it (that said - I don't know how accurate this particular FVD tool is). I can see why he would be offered a job at Mack now, I thought he was just one of those everyday NL users who can make a great coaster - but this guy sounds like he knows a lot more than your garden variety NL user who doesn't know too much about the physics behind it all apart from what the G-force spline tells them. I take back what I said.

I've greyed out on superman before (although that was after 6 or 7 rides in a row) and don't see it as a problem at all... just means the ride is forceful which I take to be a good thing.

So here's a thought for everyone to take away...

I'm sure as enthusiasts everyone would love the park to embrace the community and involve them in the coaster construction/launch. 

Someone at the park has the same thought so stops on by to have a read of what people have to say. 

They read all this absolute nonsense, come to their senses and never have the crazy thought of reaching out to theme park psyco nerds again...

Now imagine if we had a sensible, high quality on topic discussion about what's actually being constructed to read instead...

Wow, movie world are really exceeding my expectations. It's already longer and taller than any coaster at the park. I can't way for the lift hill to be implemented aswell as the station. I'm also intrested in if their will be any theming during the coaster. Currently it looks a bit odd with a massive pink (or similar colour) coaster on a random field with grass. I wonder if they will concrete the floor or add stones. If you think about it, the ride would improve a lot if the grass is hidden or replaced and theming is added. Maybe even dark sections with strobe and fog. I'm getting ahead of myself.

4 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

It's already longer and taller than any coaster at the park.

Where did you get this from? Because it's so far away from the rest of the park, we aren't sure yet that what's been built is taller than Superman, which it might not be. And it's certainly not longer than any other coaster in the park, heck, Road Runner is probably still longer than it at the moment.

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic