DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

2 hours ago, Glubbo said:

Among enthusiasts a non-inverting loop sounds great, but would the general public make some kind of negative connection between that and Buzzsaw?

They're completely different but both feature a twist at the top off a loop..

Can I just put what everyone must surely be thinking out there... What the hell are you talking about?

46 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Can I just put what everyone must surely be thinking out there... What the hell are you talking about?

The general public seeing "a twisty top of the coaster" may think that potential element in MW's ride is a 'copy' of Buzzsaw.

32 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Yes, it's not like Buzzsaw killed anyone.

I never implied that the GP would link the hyper's potential element to TRRR, nor that Buzzsaw had and fatalities. Could you clarify, Gazza?

Edited by Glubbo

Because it's almost impossible to get the concrete perfectly level and also the support might not be 'perfect' so the base might not sit perfectly level anyway. 

The nuts 'under' the support can be adjusted to level the support correctly. Once it's all said and done the space in the middle will be grouted so the support does effectively 'connect' with the concerted. 

Does that make sense?

45 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Because it's almost impossible to get the concrete perfectly level and also the support might not be 'perfect' so the base might not sit perfectly level anyway. 

The nuts 'under' the support can be adjusted to level the support correctly. Once it's all said and done the space in the middle will be grouted so the support does effectively 'connect' with the concerted. 

Does that make sense?

Beat me to it....lol.

But spot on with the explanation.

Edited by thunder001

So yes, this is probably a bunch of photos all seen already, but eh, have some full res shots. Most of these are 5760x3840 if you open them full size. 

Here is the (at the time) latest piece of the puzzle. Part #18

Parkz2.thumb.jpg.05f5cfea16cdbaf11b48b2092d2cdc65.jpg

I imagine we're going to see a substantial amount of photos of the coaster train travelling along this section of track.

Parkz3.thumb.jpg.f58afbf99195fd79b743527bd1441eff.jpg

Some more twisty goodness (please excuse the shadow of the fence).

Parkz4.thumb.jpg.3d98dec34a5b00c1f44987cb79e0e658.jpg

Another shot of the connection points for the track segments

Parkz5.thumb.jpg.3a73ad6568f586fbaa826b99dfd058a5.jpg

And while I still prefer the look of a B&M style track, there's no denying this is one sleek looking coaster.

Just look at that incomplete section there and the angle and twist it's going to take to throw you back the other way.

Parkz6.thumb.jpg.a8313cc5ce9a5a94d48b20387e52efdc.jpg

And finally, you'll have to excuse the editing on this one. It's a GoPro shot that I was attempting to fix the fisheye distortion on as I didn't have my wide lens with me. Just gives a bit of an indication of the whole thing as it stands currently. 

parkz7.thumb.jpg.cc0f0f62f627a33055738526d1a44ba1.jpg

33 minutes ago, Reanimated35 said:

Ah yep, that makes sense, thanks. At the moment it just looks like those traffic lights that are designed to snap at the bolts when they get hit. (Or so I've been told that's what they're designed for.)

To add to what @djrappa said the grout has no structural strength and the rods carry the full load of the supports.  The supports work fine without the support ever touching the pile cap and the gap being maintained. The reason they grout under the supports is it completely seals under the support removing one of the elements that causes rust. (oxygen)  In theory you could use loads of silicone but grout requires less maintenance.

4 hours ago, Glubbo said:

The general public seeing "a twisty top of the coaster" may think that potential element in MW's ride is a 'copy' of Buzzsaw.

I would suggest that some people may see a similarity, and that will just remind them how s*** Buzzsaw is compared to this coaster, how Ardent Leisure missed an amazing opportunity, and how it's reliably Village Roadshow Theme Parks that invest the big capital and bring international-standard blockbuster attractions to our shores.

3 hours ago, Reanimated35 said:

[snip]

Here is the (at the time) latest piece of the puzzle. Part #18

Parkz2.thumb.jpg.05f5cfea16cdbaf11b48b2092d2cdc65.jpg

[snip]

Another shot of the connection points for the track segments

Parkz5.thumb.jpg.3a73ad6568f586fbaa826b99dfd058a5.jpg

Are these the same piece of track? I'd hazard a guess that this is the left turn into the potential roll, and is  "78", with the seven written poorly. Great pics @Reanimated35.

2 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

I would suggest that some people may see a similarity, and that will just remind them how s*** Buzzsaw is compared to this coaster, how Ardent Leisure missed an amazing opportunity, and how it's reliably Village Roadshow Theme Parks that invest the big capital and bring international-standard blockbuster attractions to our shores.

Yeah but then DW must have "copied" this element B)

1013-1929_Lethal-Weapon_01620095.JPG

6 hours ago, Skeeta said:

To add to what @djrappa said the grout has no structural strength and the rods carry the full load of the supports.  The supports work fine without the support ever touching the pile cap and the gap being maintained. The reason they grout under the supports is it completely seals under the support removing one of the elements that causes rust. (oxygen)  In theory you could use loads of silicone but grout requires less maintenance.

Wow, that's insane, if the grout isn't meant for support, what's the load bearing on those rods??

7 hours ago, SuperV said:

Just driving home from SW and noticed more track has been placed. The next element has to be a zero G roll. The track is going up and banking so either a roll or a very twisty hill! I don't mind both would be awesome!

Looking at supports in the area today it is twisty hill into turn (similar to what Superman has). Connection plates don't match what would be needed for a roll.

16 hours ago, pin142 said:

Looking at supports in the area today it is twisty hill into turn (similar to what Superman has). Connection plates don't match what would be needed for a roll.

What makes you so sure? The connections on the roll on flash look very similar (as they do for most rolls on any coaster, with the angled connection on either side.

5910160fdd1f3_rollsupports.thumb.jpeg.0a93151f94636127dc6e6db1232fb669.jpeg

Personally I think a hill is the safest option, but a well shaped roll could be amazing at that point after the twists, think maverick's defunct heartline roll.

I'd be inclined to agree with @pin142 - the supports either side of Flash's roll have angles of roughly +90° and -90°, meaning the track only has to roll about 180° between supports. That orientation also gives it strong bracing against both directions of lateral movement.

On the other hand, the supports at Movieworld appear to have angles of roughly +75° and -15° - the track would have to roll ~270° if it's going to invert there (vs only ~90° if it's a simple airtime hill). Depth is always hard to perceive in photos but that space between the supports looks too short to fit 270° of twisted track, not to mention the sub-optimal bracing for lateral forces towards the left. Either possibility though would be plenty enticing for me!

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic