DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

Just found an old SE construction topic so I thought I'd make my guess construction timetable more accurate. Again, this is all assuming a Boxing Day 2017 opening & I have also removed percentages as the timetables are more complex now:

• Mid November 2015 - Rollercoaster development application approved by Council/New 'world class' MW attraction confirmed to shareholders
  • Early July 2016 to early March 2017 - Site preparation/footing placement
  • Mid August 2016 - Original (but now delayed) announcement date 
  • Early September 2016 - Mack Rides confirmed as manufacturer due to their crates seen on site
  • Mid November 2016 - Currently most likely time period for the rollercoaster announcement
  • Early December 2016 to Early February 2017 - Track parts arrival
  • Early March to late July 2017 - Track installation
  • Early March 2017 - Construction fencing marketing added
  • Mid May 2017 - Outdoor media marketing campaign begins
  • Early June 2017 - Trains arrive/Media call
  • Late July 2017 to 26 December 2017 - Theming/landscaping
  • Early/Mid September 2017 - Train 'pull-throughs'
  • Early October 2017 - Main marketing campaign begins/Testing begins
  • Early/Mid December 2017 - MW website update
  • Mid December 2017 - Preview rides/Media launch
  • 26 December 2017 - Opening

For information purposes, here is an updated version of how SE was constructed. I've edited the initial SE announcement milestone as I now feel that was more of a highly verifiable leak to the media at the time rather than an official announcement:

• Mid July 2004 - New MW ride rumour begun
  • Late November/Early/Mid December 2004 - 'Superman themed' rollercoaster rumour gains momentum
  • 30 January 2005 to late March 2005 (approx.) - Movie Magic Special Effects Show Closure/Demolition
  • Early April 2005 (approx.) to late July 2005 - Site preparation/footings placed
  • Mid June 2005 to Mid July 2005 - Track parts arrival
  • Early August 2005 - Construction fencing marketing added: 1st official confirmation of SE
  • Early August 2005 to early October 2005 - Track installation
  • Early September 2005 - Outdoor media marketing campaign begins
  • Mid September 2005 - Trains arrived/VRTP Expansions media call
  • Early October 2005 to 26 December 2005 - Theming/Landscaping
  • Early November 2005 - Train 'pull-throughs'
  • Mid November 2005 - Main marketing campaign begins/Testing begins
  • 15 to 22 December 2005 - MW website update
  • 22 December 2005 - Media launch
  • 22 to 26 December 2005 - Exclusive preview rides
  • 26 December 2005 - Opening

Note: Most exterior theming was only visible/made public for SE in between mid December 2005 & opening day so for the new rollercoaster, expect that to be visible/made public between early December 2017 & opening day.

Note: Unlike in the SE timetable, ride/attraction closure/demolition isn't included in the 2017 rollercoaster timetable as no rides/attractions were closed to make way for this new rollercoaster

Edited by Richard
Requested changes

TBH I'm almost dreading the announcement of what this coaster will actually be (Of course I want to know but not knowing is just as fun!).

The fun of having everyone guess and throw ideas about is far more interesting than knowing what it actually is and having to wait for it to be finished so we can ride it.

In terms of marketing this will either be a big win or a big loss for MovieWorld in my opinion. At present you have all the coaster nuts on maximum overdrive trying to figure things out. If the announcement lives up to the expectations then waiting has been worth it and a success. If it doesn't then you've let down those who you've whipped up into a frenzy over what you are building. It's a fine line here but I hope that it does pay off for them.

The updates provided by those here on the forums have been great. Little bits of information trickling in to feed the hype just makes the discussion that much more interesting.

I have no doubt that the coaster will live up to the hype and I can't wait to ride it whatever it is :)

15 minutes ago, DJKostya said:

TBH I'm almost dreading the announcement of what this coaster will actually be (Of course I want to know but not knowing is just as fun!).

The fun of having everyone guess and throw ideas about is far more interesting than knowing what it actually is and having to wait for it to be finished so we can ride it.

In terms of marketing this will either be a big win or a big loss for MovieWorld in my opinion. At present you have all the coaster nuts on maximum overdrive trying to figure things out. If the announcement lives up to the expectations then waiting has been worth it and a success. If it doesn't then you've let down those who you've whipped up into a frenzy over what you are building. It's a fine line here but I hope that it does pay off for them.

The updates provided by those here on the forums have been great. Little bits of information trickling in to feed the hype just makes the discussion that much more interesting.

I have no doubt that the coaster will live up to the hype and I can't wait to ride it whatever it is :)

Given the amount of people on here who do actually know and haven't said anything to settle people down suggests we should be right in hyping it up. 

Think back to Doomsday. If my memory serves me correctly, someone said something along the lines of we'd like the ride but wouldn't be blown away by what's coming. 

This time we haven't heard anything like that from people in the know and instead we've been dropped teasers by those people plus the park themselves. 

This should be big. :)

Remember bigger is not always better. It could be something like Maverick. But for it to live up to the hype of "Worlds best theme park draw card" I am hoping for a decent dark section of the ride. Like Superman, Abyss and so on.

Unless they go for a tall Giga coaster to try and beat Tunnel of Terror's height. But considering TOT2 is 377 feet tall and a strata coaster is 400 feet plus. If they were to beat TOT2's height it would more likely be a Strata coaster. Top Thrill Dragster is only 15 meters taller than TOT2. So I doubt they would be trying to go for the tallest roller coaster in Australia. But if they get a hyper coaster they could always advertise saying the tallest full circuit roller coaster in Australia.

Edited by Tim Dasco

1 hour ago, DJKostya said:

^THIS.

This is what many parks (not just on the gold coast) need to follow more often. Take @Mark Shaw's work here with Kraken... constant updates, teasers, and a promise that we'd be 'the first to know' (except of course viewers of ACA but you can't have everything).

The only thing i'd like to see more of from MW with regard to the current construction is more 'official' teasers - even if they're not ready, they could be 'formally' building the hype using social media etc. If Parkz has got so many replies to this thread in such little time - imagine what they'd be getting on Facebook if they were posting a few 'official' tidbits - lacking substance but providing just enough to stimulate discussion.

41 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

Remember bigger is not always better. It could be something like Maverick. But for it to live up to the hype of "Worlds best theme park draw card" I am hoping for a decent dark section of the ride. Like Superman, Abyss and so on.

Remember @Tim Dasco, 'worlds best theme park draw card' isn't a term they've used. What they have said is that the attraction will be 'worlds best' of it's type. As has been bandied around - it could be 'worlds best' dragon wagon and still fit that criteria.

Also - I think you should book in for an exorcism - you're starting to sound a bit like Push. ;)

I think a dark section would be cool, but TBH, if the coaster is anything like what we know, or have been led to believe (depending on who you are) - I don't believe it will need it, and i'm sure - just given the footprint we have seen so far - that it will not disappoint.

@Gazza

Edited by Gazza

45 minutes ago, reanimated35 said:

Given the amount of people on here who do actually know and haven't said anything to settle people down suggests we should be right in hyping it up. 

Think back to Doomsday. If my memory serves me correctly, someone said something along the lines of we'd like the ride but wouldn't be blown away by what's coming. 

This time we haven't heard anything like that from people in the know and instead we've been dropped teasers by those people plus the park themselves. 

This should be big. :)

Whilst I said before that not knowing and seeing all of the discussion has been awesome knowing and seeing all of the wild theories must also be just as awesome.

I would love to be sitting back reading through all the theories about what it could be and smiling to myself saying "Wow so far off the mark!" or even "Yep you're right on the money!"

When we do finally know what it is it would be interesting to go back over the discussion to see who actually guessed correctly first.

@AlexB I thought that I read in an article a long time ago they said "Worlds best theme park draw cards". So thats why I mentioned it. I don't mean it needs a massive indoor section. Just something small like a pre lift section to set up the story line. Like lets say the coaster is a launched coaster themed to the Flash. (Just using this as an example as some people have suggested this) The small pre-launch section could have a few scenes relating to the flash before the launch. This is only an example. I am not meaning a massive indoor section.

Like if you took SE's indoor section away. Would people still say it's the best roller coaster in Australia?

1 hour ago, Tim Dasco said:

try and beat Tunnel of Terror's height

You can tell someone's from Perth :P

4 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

Like if you took SE's indoor section away. Would people still say it's the best roller coaster in Australia?

Possibly, but definitely not as fantastic as it is now. It would be a very short ride which would definitely take it down to around ToT's level.

Agree wholeheartedly with what's been said above.

That's why I said a small indoor section to add to the ride time and build up the story. It is possible to make a roller coaster go taller than TOT2. But something like TTD or MF with inflation and exchange rate you are looking around 40+ million AUD. Even if the coaster itself only cost 25 million USD to build in 2003. So it depends on how much MW want to spend. But considering Revenge of the mummy at USS is only 20 million USD I would much rather something like that then a TTD.

1 hour ago, Tim Dasco said:

@AlexB I thought that I read in an article a long time ago they said "Worlds best theme park draw cards".

The exact words were "one of the world’s best theme park drawcards".

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

The only thing i'd like to see more of from MW with regard to the current construction is more 'official' teasers - even if they're not ready, they could be 'formally' building the hype using social media etc. If Parkz has got so many replies to this thread in such little time - imagine what they'd be getting on Facebook if they were posting a few 'official' tidbits - lacking substance but providing just enough to stimulate discussion.

If it's anything like SE, I guessed the first official teasers would appear around early March 2017 but then again, SE was in a world relatively without social media. The biggest question is how big their social media marketing campaign will be and when will that start? And how viral will they try to make it? A huge viral marketing campaign would without a doubt send Parkz into extreme overdrive and capture the attention of not just only Australian rollercoaster enthusiasts but probably the world's particularly with a "world's best" rollercoaster heading to our shores.

So, not sure this is appropriate for this topic, but, let's say this coaster is 'world best', is Movie World ready to earn the title of Australia's best theme park?

I think Dreamworld currently holds the title....or at least they market it that way. Maybe they say they are biggest, but I think the general populous believe Dreamworld to be on top.

A massive coaster, doomsday, a new themed land (villains) and VR surely has to elevate MW to the best...

3 hours ago, downunder said:

It would have to be pretty impressive to even be the best coaster at Movie World.

That's what has gotten me hyped. If they're marketing it using 'World's best' that says to me that it's better than both Superman and Arkham.

4 minutes ago, MikeMac said:

So, not sure this is appropriate for this topic, but, let's say this coaster is 'world best', is Movie World ready to earn the title of Australia's best theme park?

I think Dreamworld currently holds the title....or at least they market it that way. Maybe they say they are biggest, but I think the general populous believe Dreamworld to be on top.

A massive coaster, doomsday, a new themed land (villains) and VR surely has to elevate MW to the best...

Of course! They're ready to well and truly claim that title, even from the general populous if they market it correctly.

It'll be 6 proper coasters in the one park versus Dreamworld's 5, all being worse (significantly, imo) than MW's counterparts.

Just to make my point clearer, you have Superman, Arkham, Green Lantern, SDSC and Road Runner, all quality rides for their market, versus TOTII and Buzzsaw, (Shittle coasters as I like to call them), Cyclone, which isn't as good as Green Lantern, Motocoaster, which is nowhere near the quality ride that SDSC is. And then Road Runner is such a good kids coaster even I still get a kick out of it, compared to the Rugrats kiddie coaster, where I'd rather ride the motocoaster tbh.

What I can't believe is how Dreamworld has managed to hold onto the title for so long in the eyes of so many. Probably a good thing for Australian parks as a whole, but they'll have to step up soon or they'll get swamped.

I am going to say its quality V quantity. MW has amazing quality attractions and DW have more cheaper attractions. So in the eyes of the GP DW would seem better as it has a lot more to do. But it really depends on how MW market the park once all these additions are done and if they offer a pass that allows you to do all theme parks, Top Golf and the Lakeside precinct. Or when you stay in the hotel you get the same pass and maybe early entry.

6 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

DW holds the title in many people's eyes on the breadth of their offering, as discussed many times here.

Not everyone goes to theme parks for coasters 

And as also said many times here, the same pass that gets you into MW gets you into SW and WnW. The experience combined easily matches what's on offer at DW/WWW

20 minutes ago, AllegroCrab said:

And as also said many times here, the same pass that gets you into MW gets you into SW and WnW. The experience combined easily matches what's on offer at DW/WWW

And I'll counter that by the difficulty in lugging a family with young kids to 3 different theme parks, one of which is a good 30min drive away from the other 2 (if you get favourable traffic), not to mention the minimum hour it takes you to get off the Spit on a busy weekend versus parking in the one spot and having access to it all. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my Unlimited membership & love my coasters making MovieWorld my personal favourite park, but for convenience with a family, Dreamworld can't be beaten. 

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked and unlocked this topic
  • joz locked this topic