DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

1 hour ago, Intimidator305. said:

How close does that look to Wet n Wild? I'm really hoping they join the parks one day. Maybe this is the start? They could easily steal the biggest theme park in Australia then. And no more driving between parks. They could keep bothe entrances and you could still enter each park individually but joining them would open up so much more possibilities and lines would probably drop as all the attractions are available now.

I think you'll find AOS and VRS are big blockers to that suggestion.

#NeverGoingToHappen

11 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

It's interesting how suddenly one ride manufacture seems to be everywhere.  Last year it was Rocky Mountain Construction and this year Mack is everywhere.

Mack definitely seem to be making the most interesting new rides out there lately - Lost Gravity, Pulsar, Arthur, Helix, and so on. I'm pretty excited to see what they've come up with for Movie World.

New coasters coming:

Intamin                                              -              1

S&S Worldwide                                 -              3

Premier Rides                                   -              1

Great Coasters International             -              3

Vekoma                                             -              2

Mack Rides                                     -              4

Maurer AG                                        -              1

E&F Miler Mabillard                           -              1

Chance Rides                                   -              1

Bolliger & Mabillard                           -              1

Interesting that six flags have purchased the same ride to put in 3 of their parks.

Has every country got a Intamin now and the gloss has rubbed off?  It might be time for a new coaster design.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

I believe Intiman have 2 roller coaster next year. 1 in Europe and the jet rescue clone at an American SW. RMC also have their Mean Streak project. However I believe we are seeing companies using this year to save up for another Major coaster next year. (2018) as 2016 was a big year and they might be trying to save money this year. (However next year will be a big year for Europe theme parks as there are some big coasters going over there. In particularly the Intamin v Vekoma project.

39 minutes ago, YLFATEEKS said:

Interesting that six flags have purchased the same ride to put in 3 of their parks.

Not really interesting at all - they do this frequently, and then, after the gloss has worn off, they move them to other SF parks or sell them... one such example was the giant inverted boomerangs they opened in 3 parks in the 2001 season under the name Deja Vu. At least one of them relocated to another SF park as Goliath - I think the other two went to unrelated parks.

1 hour ago, Santa07 said:

I think Intamin are starting to fall behind in the field. Companies like Mack are doing what they've done in the past, just much better. I agree that they need a new design to get back to the top of the field.

Looking at rides opened in the last few years, Intamin have had Intimidator 305, Skyrush and Taron. Not exactly a rut though they do seem to have fewer really exciting rides in general - on the other hand I guess this comes down to what parks are actually wanting to buy.

Gerstlauer have been kind of mid-tier for a while, but after riding Karnan earlier this year I'd say they also have the potential to compete with Mack and Intamin on the big rides.

Having just read the article here on Parkz today, I am indeed wondering (if RCDB is accurate, of course)... Why would WBMW build this coaster to be so close to 200ft but not quite? I understand that height isn't everything, but 3 feet or 2.7 feet or whatever... that's nothing! Why would you go to 197ft and just decide that's high enough? Especially if they realise that 200ft is required for hypercoaster status...

I'd assume it's probably better to under promise and over deliver. Natural variations in the construction of the ride, and the conditions of the ground and foundations could affect the overall height of the ride. Remember when GL first opened, the published angle of the drop changed a number of times before being finally determined as what it is now.

I think it will be over 200 feet, but in the case that it doesn't make it in the end, they won't have advertised it as being a hyper coaster. 

Edited by mba2012

18 hours ago, pazzap said:

geez make an official announcement already movie world.. top american parks would have done so by now.. before ANY groundwork even began!

I think it's fair to say making an announcement about a major new attraction on the back of a recent local tragedy is in bad taste, which is why we haven't heard anything yet.

13 hours ago, Intimidator305. said:

How close does that look to Wet n Wild? I'm really hoping they join the parks one day. Maybe this is the start? They could easily steal the biggest theme park in Australia then. And no more driving between parks. They could keep bothe entrances and you could still enter each park individually but joining them would open up so much more possibilities and lines would probably drop as all the attractions are available now.

You're falling for Telephoto lens flattening the depth. The distance between the coaster turnaround and WNW is considerate.

Edited by Glubbo

If it is under 200 feet, it wouldn't be the first time coming shy of something. Green Lantern's drop is .5 degrees shy of the worlds steepest drop. Which makes you wonder why they didn't just go the few extra degrees. There must be a reason.. right? If the coaster is under 200 feet, I'm sure there would be a reason as to why? 

I'm pretty sure when they would have signed the contracts etc etc, it probably would have been worlds steepest drop, as they probably weren't aware of the one in ?Japan? that beat it - they both were under construction at pretty much the same time.

You can't get halfway through construction and go 'wait - the other park is going to beat us! Tear it down, make it steeper!'

16 minutes ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Also, Green Lantern is a cloned ride and I'm pretty sure that the angle of the drop isn't customisable. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sure thing... Pretty much every single El Loco has a customised drop, with the angle increased on almost every version built to try to keep beating the steepest drop record... until Takabisha anyway.

Name Park       Drop angle  
Crazy Bird Happy Valley, Tianjin       120°  
El Loco Adventuredome       90°  
Green Lantern Coaster Warner Bros. Movie World       120.5°  
Mumbo Jumbo Flamingo Land       112°  
Steel Hawg Indiana Beach       111°  
Timber Drop Fraispertuis City       113°  
Twist Coaster Robin Yomiuriland       93°  

26 minutes ago, Ryande16 said:

The height might only be 196 feet but if the drop went underground 20-30 feet it's actually drop height would be 216-226 feet, which is considered a tall hyper.

P.s im on schoolies so if you can't read this im drunk

I can read it fine. Have another drink :)

Anyhow if it was to go underground I'd expect the pit do be done with the rest of the ground work and there has been no evidence of that.

P.S. Drink responsibly :P

I have mentioned it before...  It was even in the news article from Parkz...

Before this ride is cemented as a non-hypercoaster, know this: RCDB did in fact report that Lewa Adventure's Flash coaster – Mack Rides' only other hypercoaster to date – would also be 196.8ft tall in 2014 before revising this figure to 200.2ft tall with a 190.3ft drop height in 2015. RCDB's information may be an estimate, incorrectly converted or possibly a figure such as drop height rather than total height.

Likely it is incorrect...  They obviously have been before...  Perhaps they don't want to put it in hyper status on their website until it is revealed by Mack or the park as they then need to downgrade it...  Much better to under estimate than over estimate and build hype for something that won't be...

While I would love to see a below ground first drop i would also have thought they would have been working on that at the same time as working on the footers...

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic