DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

What's the general consensus on Mack Rides as a manufacturer?

I find that any of the really good looking rides, found on You-Tube, aren't Mack coasters.  And any Mack coasters I come across are fairly uninspiring.

Hopefully I'm wrong for this one, but I'd feel more excited if a different manufacturer was building it.

Edited by mission

Yeah Lost Gravity looks good, Flash looks good too, but really not very innovative, just a bigger version of what's been done before.  I'll check out the others.

I'm confident what ever is built will be good, but maybe not 'pushing the envelope' good.

Edited by mission

This is why I find it sad that not a lot of Intamin's are being built at the moment. Intamin always pushed the envelope. Most of the fastest and tallest rides are all Intamin's. They push to break the limits and despite the problems with reliability and such they are awsome rides. Parks now just want the standard rides and rides that are garented to work and be sucssessful hence why everyone is getting B&M standard layouts and not going for unique and ground breaking attractions. But I think Intamin are starting up again with their 4 seat wide coaster cars and their new track design. Plus they are starting to fill up their order book.

I haven't been on it, so only basing my thoughts by YouTube videos.

It looks to be a fairly generic train that goes up a lift hill (granted a tall hill), down the other side, through a loop, then over numerous hills with a few turns thrown it.  It doesn't look anything new and innovative other than it's shear size.  

I'm sure it's fast and fun but I don't think it's particularly innovative in terms of ride evolution, especially when compared to other recent installations.

Edited by mission

1 minute ago, mission said:

I haven't been on it, so only basing my thoughts by YouTube videos.

It looks to be a fairly generic train that goes up a lift hill (granted a tall hill), down the other side, through a loop, then over numerous hills with a few turns thrown it.  It doesn't look anything new and innovative other than it's shear size.  I'm sure it's fast and fun but I don't think it's particularly innovative in terms of ride evolution.  

Fair enough, but isn't that exactly what Millennium Force does (without the loop of course)? I think sometimes going the way that has been successful many times before is the best way.

5 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

I think sometimes going the way that has been successful many times before is the best way.

Yeah, sometimes the simple things are the best.  I'd gues MW would want to play it safe too, with a proven and reliable design. With GL issues, they probably aren't too keen to take risks.

A big coaster out the front will also have significant visual impact.

Edited by mission

I just find the concept of judging rides from a YouTube video to be hilarious. Also sounds like you may have never ridden a hyper coaster before. 

Perhaps we should all wait for the ride to be actually finished and then ride it?

Then form an opinion?

What was innovative about MDMC, I don't really know the history of it?

I don't necessarily think MDMC is a dud, sure it doesn't live up to it's high speed motor bike theme, but it seems reasonably popular and fills the kids/adult ride gap.

9 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Perhaps we should all wait for the ride to be actually finished and then ride it?

Then form an opinion?

I haven't formed any opinion on the ride, I simply stated that Mack rides, in general, are a little uninspiring (like Storm and Scooby Doo - theming aside).

And my original question was (nothing to do with the actual ride being built):

What's the general consensus on Mack Rides as a manufacturer?

My contribution to that was that I didn't think, from research done on their other installations, that they aren't particularly innovative.

Edited by mission

I don't want to seem rude, but you did ask for our opinions on Mack.

In my opinion I see mack as a pretty innovative company. They have a massive variety of coaster designs, launch, mega, bobsled, E-motion, Big dipper, hyper, to name some. But they don't stop there. They have water rides, like the super splash, and then they have a mix of both, such as the water coaster. They also have released two unique completely brand new rides last year: Lost gravity, a big dipper model, which people who have ridden it rave about it, and Pulsar, a Power splash model. Both of these models are fairly unique to just Mack. I admit, the big dipper looks similar to a Euro fighter, but it's got sits more like wing coasters. If we're getting picky, their trains are fairly unique, with seats elevated so you can not touch the floor, almost giving the feeling of a floorless coaster, and the trains are very open unlike other common models at that size. These are just some of Macks unique aspects.

And when you compare new models of Mack rides released recently to new models B&M has released recently, Mack starts to look a lot more innovative. (I'm not saying B&M is bad, they are one of the best roller coaster manufacturers ever).

So in my opinion I think Mack is a very innovative company, and it can't hurt that their rides are really popular and well received as well.

Edited by Intimidator305.

Agreed @Intimidator305. - Along with Intamin, I see Mack to be one of the most innovative companies. B&M are a fantastic company, but their rides often keep to a fairly specific list of models. Intamin and Mack on the other hand seem to be constantly growing and changing - a few years back Mack only made family rides - spinning coasters, wild mice, water coasters, etc - but since then they've added much larger coasters to their lineup - mega coasters, launch coasters, and now hyper coasters. I mean - look at Pulsar at Walibi Belguim and tell me that's not innovative.

I took a trip to the park today, had a bit of a snoop over both TG and coaster sites. The fence work around the coaster continues (seems to be pretty slow progress for something that appears to be ready-made-to-fit fence panels). Nothing different to the pics posted on the previous page, so not much point posting new ones.

I'll be honest, i'm a little miffed at those that are downplaying or otherwise dismissing this as not being 'good' enough. 

The park themselves have said 'world's best' so it has to be some kinda awesome. 

Our first hyper, a reliable long-term supplier to our parks is building it - I don't see any excuse to be doing anything except booking a ticket on the hype train non-stop to opening day.

It's like saying the new car \ plane \ game console \ smartphone to be released in 9 months time will be a piece of shit. People like that just piss me off.

"The greatest attraction the southern hemisphere has ever seen" is very much a matter of opinion.

My opinion is that the greatest attraction the southern hemisphere had ever seen was Bermuda Triangle at Sea World. Now that's sadly gone, it's probably Wild West Falls at Movie World.

I'm not very excited about a mere rollercoaster that will just go up and down. I also can't see what on earth it has to do with movies either.

Still good to see another new ride being built though.

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic