DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

^ Agree.

Theme parks just get too hot on a hot day, all the concrete etc just draws the heat in.  

I edited my post - I said TOT2 was way too hot in the queue area towards the last flight of stairs - it was really bad yesterday.  But at the start of the queue area, where the queue didn't reach, it was fine as aircons were running,

Now Santa's post makes sense :)

Edited by mission

1 minute ago, mission said:

I don't ever recall seeing the mist on Superman, only on the ads.

It would look good with the mist, surely it can't be that much of a maintenance issue (but it does seem like a likely reason), most of the ride is out in the weather.

Being out in the weather vs having water on a track for 8+ hours a day is a bit different. I remember when the mist was on that part of the track was always slick with water, made me worry the train was going to slip off (that's before I really understood how coaster trains worked).

Agree (Cactus Matt), but they would have known that when they built it - wouldn't have been a surprise.

Maybe the surprise was the rate of surface rust (or whatever the issue is/was) was much higher than anticipated but you'd think the manufacturer would be pretty switched on about things like that.

2 minutes ago, themagician said:

Surely a smoke machine wouldn't have an affect on the track?

Yeah, wouldn't have thought so.

Edited by mission

1 hour ago, themagician said:

Surely a smoke machine wouldn't have an affect on the track?

A constant mist of water (or even just at launch \ as the train went by) costs a few cents.

to get the same effect using smoke, your cost goes up dramatically - both cost of the smoke fluid, and also cost to operate and maintain the machinery to atomise the fluid.

There are other experts on this board with far more knowledge on this subject than me - but smoke is affected far more dramatically by wind and open air than a water mist is - they struggle to keep a good haze in scooby that is fairly enclosed. How well do you think they're going to go with it in open air?

(I don't think the smoke on fright nights and special events can be compared because this is 'added' effect on a few special nights of the year where people have paid an additional cost to get in - the cost vs. benefits there is very different to cost of day to day operation.

Just now, AlexB said:

There are other experts on this board with far more knowledge on this subject than me - but smoke is affected far more dramatically by wind and open air than a water mist is - they struggle to keep a good haze in scooby that is fairly enclosed. How well do you think they're going to go with it in open air?

Yeah, it's lighter than most concentrations of mist so will move with a trivial amount of air.  On the plus side you won't end up damp from it.  It does leave a residue though, and tends to hang around a while in the air.  As you've rightly pointed out maintenance is an issue.  Fluid cost also factors in, but in an operation like that you'd probably be just as well off making it yourself.

26 minutes ago, webslave said:

operation like that you'd probably be just as well off making it yourself.

Woah no at this!!!

any chemical that is atomized and breathed in by people should never be knocked up on ones own. 

Extensive testing and chemical controls go into something that may seem a trivial as smoke fluid. 

Haha, I knew that would get a reaction. :)

But no, clearly you should never be knocking that stuff up in a backyard.  On the other hand, if you're using significant amounts of it there would be nothing to stop your organisation from investing in the right equipment and ingredients to be able to make it safely.  Smoke fluid is pretty well understood chemically, and provided it's prepared correctly (which is hard unless you've got a proper production set-up) it's safe enough.

Kids, please don't make your own.  You'll get away with it a few times before you find out why you shouldn't.

Yeah, you're probably right - although it depends on how much you're using.  It's not exactly expensive stuff to make - wouldn't take much to get someone to come in and certify your manufacturing and testing procedure which will cover off the liability (and should also cover off the risk given it's easily repeatable).  Given you'd also be going through it quickly your risk footprint is smaller because you don't need to store it for as long.

19 hours ago, Inverted said:

We all know by now that this will/should be one kick ass coaster.

Just wondering if this could be the best coaster attraction of 2017 worldwide?

Does anyone know of a better coaster going in anywhere for 2017?

I'd be cautious about listing something as the best when we don't know a layout – or indeed anything other than the height and the manufacturer. 

There are an awful lot of interesting rides due to open in 2017. Here's just a few:

https://rcdb.com/12413.htm
https://rcdb.com/11034.htm
https://rcdb.com/13796.htm
https://rcdb.com/14116.htm
https://rcdb.com/12256.htm

There's also the Rocky Mountain conversion of Mean Streak which could well be a 2017 attraction.

Time will tell.

Lech/Mystic Timbers/Star Trek definitely don't look nearly as good as Flash. And I think most enthusiasts would prefer a hyper over a wing, and probably over a S&S launch too. RMC Mean Streak is most likely to be 2018. I do feel that this could easily be the best coaster of 2017, although it won't appear in the Golden Ticket awards since I think they occur before the ride will even open, plus the bias it has towards North America basically rules out any chance we have of winning anything. It probably doesn't have much of a hope for 2018 either, with Energylandia's hyper up against it.

14 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Lech/Mystic Timbers/Star Trek definitely don't look nearly as good as Flash. And I think most enthusiasts would prefer a hyper over a wing, and probably over a S&S launch too. RMC Mean Streak is most likely to be 2018. I do feel that this could easily be the best coaster of 2017, although it won't appear in the Golden Ticket awards since I think they occur before the ride will even open, plus the bias it has towards North America basically rules out any chance we have of winning anything. It probably doesn't have much of a hope for 2018 either, with Energylandia's hyper up against it.

The "best coaster" in the Golden Ticket Awards usually goes to wherever the most recent ACE event has been held. Get ACE to hold an event at WBMW and it'll have a good chance ;)

I know there has been debate/speculation about whether this coaster will be launched, or start with classic lift hill. From what we have seen so far, it looks as if the ride will start with a steep incline (which hints towards a lift hill). But what if it was a mix, like the Hulk coaster as IOA = an inclined lift hill, ending with a launch and into an inversion at the top (instead of a tire launch, it would use Mack's LSM launch technology). Having a hypercoaster start off with a bang like that, would make for a very unique ride experience, and an element that would suit the Flash theme (if it is to be themed to DC's Flash superhero).

Imagine the station and queue being themed to Barry Allen's forensic lab. You then leave the station, head up the lift hill where it is enclosed in some sort of tunnel, with pipes and tanks full of toxic chemicals. Lightning strike effects go off, damaging the pipes and tanks, spilling toxic gasses over the train. You suddenly receive the Flash's superspeed powers, and launch up and out of the tunnel, entering an inversion and the rest of the coaster follows.

Not sure why the tunnel is filled with toxic chemicals, or why you are going up the tunnel in the first place......story is a bit wishy washy at this stage; but hopefully you get my drift. You are experiencing the events that turned Barry into the Flash.

Edited by Luke

Just now, Luke said:

I know there has been debate/speculation about whether this coaster will be launched, or start with classic lift hill. From what we have seen so far, it looks as if the ride will start with a steep incline (which hints towards a lift hill). But what if it was a mix, like the Hulk coaster as IOA = an inclined lift hill, ending with a launch and into an inversion at the top (instead of a tire launch, it would use Mack's LSM launch technology). Having a hypercoaster start off with a bang like that, would make for a very unique ride experience, and an element that would suit the Flash theme (if it is to be themed to DC's Flash superhero).

Imagine the station and queue being themed to Barry Allen's forensic lab. You then leave the station, head up the lift hill where it is enclosed in some sort of tunnel, with pipes and tanks full of toxic chemicals. Lightning strike effects go off, damaging the pipes and tanks, spilling toxic gasses over the train. You suddenly receive the Flash's superspeed powers, and launch up and out of the tunnel, entering an inversion and the rest of the coaster follows.

Not sure why the tunnel is filled with toxic chemicals, or why you are going up the tunnel in the first place......story is a bit wishy washy at this stage; but hopefully you get my drift. You are experiencing the events that turned Barry into the Flash.

Won't be launched I'm sure it was said that's it's just like flash but with a unique layout

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic