DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

Footer = silly sepo speak :P

This is all assuming the ride even has a loop, if it's true hyper may well not have inversions at all!

The area you're talking about AlexB, is that where we assume this thing is going to have to turn around and head for home?

1 hour ago, YLFATEEKS said:

The biggest issue I'm having working it out is the footings are not the same as Flash or Lightning or Lewa.  I did a super quick search on goggle earth but I didn’t locate The Flash.  I think overlaying the loop might be the best option.

Your other problem will be is that Flash's lift hill runs through the center of the loop.

Entire Lewa park is here https://www.google.com/maps/place/34°28'34.7"N+108°54'45.4"E/@34.4766507,108.9129454,553m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d34.476299!4d108.912605

Flash01.JPG

52 minutes ago, joz said:

There's a way of looking at it; technically not a hyper due to inversions and drop height, and is therefor unique and innovative?

Can the same be said for the motocoaster? 

Technically it's not really an exciting or thrilling ride, due to it being a sub-par version of what it could have been, therefore it's unique and innovative? 

:P

26 minutes ago, Richard said:

No one else thinks the loop is the most uninspiring aspect of Flash? I wouldn't wish or hope for such a waste of an element on what's likely to be Australia's first and only ever hyper(ish)coaster. 

I agree the loop is uninspiring, I'd prefer more balls to the wall ejector airtime. It would be more fun if the train went on the outside of the loop (think Premier Sky Rockets) IMO.

9 hours ago, Smeg said:

I must be on a different earth mines not that up to date

Try the 3 steps here in the 'View a map over time' section.

9 hours ago, jake_hunt said:

For some reason my Google Earth randomly changes between showing the most up-to-date images, and showing Bermuda Triangle still standing at Sea World. Whatever. 2008 was cool too.

That's the default setting I believe (unsure if you can actually change that permanently). Google Earth does that so you get the clearest possible view. If you had the up-to-date images, they might not be as of good quality or are covered by clouds (which is half of DW is Google Earth's latest update). Satellite images of SW in 2008 are the best images of SW so far & that's why they appear automatically. The only way I can access the up-to-date images is by following the 3 steps I linked to above.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

I know a loop isn't a very inspiring element to coaster enthusiasts, but to friends of mine who aren't inversions are generally how they rate coasters. If it goes upside down, they're generally a little more freaked out to try it. Also, there is nothing more fear-inducing than a massive loop looming over you as you drive into the park. Personally, I think if the coaster is good, it doesn't need inversions, but from a marketing perspective it may get people talking about it more, and it may also set it apart from Superman (similar track, and if it doesn't do inversions, similar elements.)

1 hour ago, Ash said:

Agreed. No real need for a loop. We have them. What we need is big drops, serious air times etc something yet to be built in Australia. 

I think the loop and roll on the flash are awesome.

With superman already in the park and while its an awesome coaster it has 2 airtime hills and no inversions, 3 if your in the front or back of the train going over the first hill.

Don't get me wrong I'm not all for constant inversions (arkham is kinda like this), but with a coaster of this length the 2 inversions in flash are unique points of difference on the ride and compliment the airtime hills on the ride which IMO only make the hyper coaster better without being overdone.

enhanced-25942-1427414324-7.jpg

I'd be quite excited for a loop - although for me there are two types of loops. The first is one that gives you a ton of hang-time going around the top, and the second is one that sustains positive G-forces throughout. I guess you've also got a third which is in the middle of the two. I think an intense loop could be a bit boring since they are quite overused, but I've heard great things about Full Throttle's loop, and something with that level of hang-time could be amazing. Plus, a loop can always be seen as an "icon" of the ride - try making an icon out of a 0g roll or airtime hill - it just doesn't work as well - but a loop could potentially make the ride look even cooler for bystanders. I would love a 0g roll as well, or some other cool inversion.

Not sure I'd say that the tallest, fastest and longest roller coaster ever in Australia really needs an "icon". The experience itself will be plenty iconic. Bogging it down with gimmicks is the last thing it needs; maybe I'm too traditional, but I'd class inversions on a hyper(ish)coaster as a gimmick.

There's certainly a dearth of quality inverting coasters in Australia, but I'd sooner fill that void with a purpose-built inversion machine than throw in a token loop or zero-g-roll on this thing.

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic