DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

23 hours ago, themagician said:

Can anyone confirm what those metal plates fitted on the footings (in this picture leant against the footing) is for? Is it to hold the screws, steel rods in place while the concrete settles, so they don't move out of place and cause problems when track installation begins?

Correct, they are used to hold the bolts in correct position to ensure the supports will line up. Spent most of Friday installing some for a new sports field in Toowong.

A few quick piece of housekeeping for everyone:

1. Posts to do with the fake track have been moved over to that thread. That's not an open invitation to post bogus photos/news/etc. but rather a single place that we can deal with it if/when we have to.
  2. There's a reason all the 'erection' posts have disappeared. They're really not as funny as you think they are.
  3. Likewise talking post after post about how many pages this topic has existed for really isn't interesting.

Not everything you post has to be serious or on-topic but almost everything posted here lately has just been filler. If there's nothing new to talk about then just don't post.

Aww, you've gone soft. They were worthy of a bit of a giggle at least. 

Application Number: BLD201513883
Description: ROLLER COASTER
Code: BUILDING
Class: MISCELLANEOUS COMMERCIAL STRUCTURE
Work: CONSTRUCT
Lodged: 17/11/2015

It has now been 446 days since the application was lodged. That's 1 year, 2 months, 19 days so far and we're still waiting on an announcement. We're going to get to the point where the track arrives, gets constructed, theming is installed then maybe we'll get a press release saying "oh yeah, we're opening this next week". 

I can understand if there was supposed to be an announcement back in Oct/Nov which could have been put on hold thanks to TRR, and then just maybe I could accept, albeit at a stretch, that they were busy promoting White Christmas and Carnivale. Thing is now we're in February. this coaster is set to open in approx 225 days. We still have no official word on what's happening. 

Maybe it's just my short attention span, maybe it was the over-saturation of VRTP events between October-January, but with nothing going on on this from an official standpoint, for some reason I'm getting over it fairly quickly. All the speculation is getting old and we're resorting to spreading fake information/photos just to keep some kind of discussion going.

I'm not even sure now if I'll be all that excited once the announcement is finally made.

Anyway, that's my tiny rant for the day. 

I think the sign out the front of the construction site is as good as an announcement we are going to get.

I really think MW need to look at how much AW marketed Abyss, teasing a new ride over a year before it opened and how they always have news reports revealing the theming and the ride type with both Abyss and Kraken.

2 hours ago, joz said:

I think they're busy selling this years passes rather than next years.  I'd expect an announcement to roughly coincide with when renewals for VIP passes come out.

I'd say we will get an announcement before then, surely. But i imagine they will heavily market the ride when it's time for the renewal of the passes 

What do they get out of blowing their marketing load early?  30 people on the internet are happy? Reality is that if they announce when they're not selling next years passes they'll lose any momentum such a big announcement would bring.  Also passes tend to go on sale early enough that it'll still be enough time for people to make holiday plans for later in the year.  The rush to announce from everyone here makes no sense to me.

I would think they'd have to announce the coaster before any track arrives. Would be silly not to because by then some crazed theme park enthusiast would probably try to piece the track together themselves and work out the layout and recreate it in NoLimits (ok that's probably going a little too far - but once the track arrives we'd be able to make a pretty solid guess on the theming and some of the elements).

1 hour ago, joz said:

What do they get out of blowing their marketing load early?  30 people on the internet are happy? Reality is that if they announce when they're not selling next years passes they'll lose any momentum such a big announcement would bring.  Also passes tend to go on sale early enough that it'll still be enough time for people to make holiday plans for later in the year.  The rush to announce from everyone here makes no sense to me.

Fair point, but don't passes go on sale in June? That's an announcement 3 months before opening? Haven't all the other rides been announced long before that? 

1 hour ago, joz said:

Also passes tend to go on sale early enough that it'll still be enough time for people to make holiday plans for later in the year.

I want to work where you work...  Ballots for school holiday time off at my work for Christmas this year had to be in end of September last year...  

The keen eye people, would have noticed the most of the reinforcing safety caps have been removed from the site and the nuts have been extended to the top of the reinforcing bar.  This would clear the excess concrete off the deformed bar ready to receive its payload.

A job not normally completed until the payload is ready to be installed.

cap.png

That is interesting, especially since you're saying that the caps aren't taken off until right before the installation. So maybe we will see parts arrive/begin installation this week. Would be amazed if the track was already at the park, since in the past they've stored track in the carpark (For GL and SE), but maybe due to how secretive they've been so far with this coaster, they've kept it out back, and it was all delivered at night or inside containers and no one noticed.

Interesting skeet fact.

An incident occurred in New South Wales in which a person stumbled and fell, impaling himself on an exposed reinforcement bar. The bar had a rebar-cap on it, but the cap offered no protection against impalement as the weight of the worker against the rebar-cap was sufficient for it to be pierced by the bar.

Research carried out following the incident included tests that involved dropping a 20 kg bag of sand one metre onto a vertical reinforcement bar. This showed that standard rebar-caps provide little, if any, protection against impalement on reinforcement bars should a person fall against them, even for a fall on the same level.

Rebar-caps are only intended to provide visual warning of a hazard and protection against brush contact with burred ends of the bars. They are not a means to control the risk of impalement.

Raising the nuts does not fill the requirement of a visual hazard which is why I think we are ready for blast off.

(Super side note if the builders have finished with that area they also might be removed because nobody will have access to that area until they go up).

Yes that's right folks you heard it here first.

Nothing at all will happen on site for a while or

Construction will be amped up.

I’m glad I could clear that up.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic