Dear Dreamworld- A Review (Attraction Pass)

jarvo_325

Hey

Its the first time I have started a new thread, so if I have done something wrong please accept my apologies and either delete or move.

I stumbled across this today, it was posted on youtube yesterday and is basically a review from two people who visited Dreamworld in December last year. I thought this video may help some people planning to visit Dreamworld in future.

"On the 6th December 2015, we visited Dreamworld while on holiday in Brisbane. Coming from New Zealand, we weren't used to the strict regulations around rider rules at theme parks in Australia, as our local theme park does not have a problem with us riding all the rides. We created this video to share our experience with Dreamworld as we were disappointed with how we were dealt with on the day. We hope that from this people can become more aware of the problems they may face when visiting theme parks in Australia. If you would like to contact us about this video, please do at wheelywackyadventures@gmail.com"

Youtube Video Review

https://youtu.be/lDfF8PMU_4g

Edited by jarvo_325

I do feel sorry for you and your family, but in Queensland we have very strict health and safety guidelines that every Themepark must follow. Their main priority is everyone's Safety and every rider must meet the requirements set by the ride manufactor (e.g. Height requirement, capable to sit upright on their own and the that harness/restraint is fasten correctly). There is no one to blame in this situation, it's just the requirements for all riders. I hope you guys still managing to have a great day ?

There seems to be two issues here...

1. The complete lack of authenticity/transparency on Dreamworld's behalf. From the footage, it seems like they approached the problem with some trepidation knowing that the news would not be good.

2. The ride manufacturers, as we all know, are internationally based and these standards should affect all installations across the world. Obviously, this is not the case, however those in the video lack respect for park/state/federal safety regulations and policies which are put in place to protect their safety. 

Of course I am empathetic to their case and would be disheartened to receive this news and have this experience, however it is the strict adherence to such rules that allow our parks to remain virtually accident-free. It's a very touchy subject, but unfortunately in this case I think Dreamworld were right not in their handling of the issue, but in their dedication to safety.

Sorry but I'm going to play devils advocate and say DW handled the process well with the exception of not directing Alicia to get a riders card on entry.

whether the reasons for the limitations were based on manufacturers stipulations or the advise or opinion of the DW team member tasked with issues these rider cards, they exist or are formed for a reason - rider safety. 

I don't think DW or any theme park should have to apologise for trying to ensure every visitor leaves the park in the same state they enter it.

we have seen numerous examples over the years or parks bending the rules (or simply not following them) resulting injury or death to riders. 

I feel for Alicia and her family that their day didn't live up to expectations, but I would say that was more representative of their preconceived idea of accessibility rather than fault on DWs part. 

9 hours ago, BigKev said:

Would be a good idea if the relevant info was available well before that point, certainly at the gate and even better on the website. No idea if that is the case or not. 

The information is all on the Dreamworld website and even mentions the card and what is required for being able to go on each ride. https://www.dreamworld.com.au/park-info/guests-with-disabilities

The one thing I find strange is it is a requirement to have the Ability to hold on with at least one arm.  Does that mean if I place my kid on the ride and they don’t hold on then something will happen.

I can take my daughter to MW & SW and she can ride the carousel but at DW she is too young.

1 hour ago, skeetafly said:

The one thing I find strange is it is a requirement to have the Ability to hold on with at least one arm.  Does that mean if I place my kid on the ride and they don’t hold on then something will happen.

I can take my daughter to MW & SW and she can ride the carousel but at DW she is too young.

My wife took my son on the carousel at MW at 9 days old and was told she could do so only if she was seated and holding him...

Now he is 3 and tall enough to ride alone, we are being told he has to be on a character and not seated in the seating areas...

Tweety Cages also at 9 days old but only if he was seated in his own seat (I sort of understand this one)...

Also I am puzzled why my son can be seated on the right side (load/unload side) of WWF but for JL3D he must be the first in and seated on the left side...

Sometimes WH&S gets it so very wrong...

I can sit on a horse/Donkey next to my 3 year old on the DW carousel, but at MW I have to stand beside him. Go figure. 

are the WWW boats any different left side vs right? I've never paid attention as you step over the side, as opposed to JL where there is large gap to walk through hence the need for younger kids on the inside 

9 hours ago, pin142 said:

The information is all on the Dreamworld website and even mentions the card and what is required for being able to go on each ride. https://www.dreamworld.com.au/park-info/guests-with-disabilities

Not everyone examines a website before going to a location such as Dreamworld.  I for one, bought a year pass to movieworld/seaworld some time back and went there without examining the website.  I picked up a list of attractions when I arrived and had an enjoyable time, with no drama.  It is a bit much to expect that guests will find all of these (fine print) details before hand. 

It would have saved the day for the quests if DW had explained all details at the admission gate and made suggestions about appropriate rides.  I believe that the guest knows of her abilities more than some other person who has never seen her, and upon viewing a ride in action, can make up her own mind.  I do not believe there should be an issue of the guest being thrown out of the ride in operation, as all harnesses and safety devices lock the guest in place, and once locked, should be foolproof.

There's not always an issue of a rider with disability being thrown out of the ride.. If they are on the ride they won't fall out. Among that and other risks like further injury It could be as simple as the ride stopping in a position where they are unable to exit the car without risking their life, for example if buzzsaw was stopped upside down at the top.. Every disability is different and each would add risks to the emergency procedures as apposed to a healthy person or somebody who can independently sit upright 

Im sure there's a whole list of things they need to consider when approaching a decision and half the time it's precautionary.. I mean there's like a 1 in 1000 chance of somebody being stuck upside down on buzzsaw but if it did happen and it happened to be somoebody who was paralysed it would enhance the situation immensely 

I am sorry for the people in this video however I feel they are putting the blame on the wrong thing. Perhaps blame manufacturers for not creating wheelchair or disability friendly rides 

Edited by buzzkill13

Sunlander it's not so much about being safe on the ride as much as its being safe in the event of an evac. What happens if she was on cyclone and it got stuck on the lift hill? How does she evac? The minute you allow individuals to choose if they are safe enough to ride is the minute accidents occur. May as well get ride of height restrictions too. The guest is always going to favour or overemphasis their ability, especially in a group situation where you want to feel included 

3 hours ago, Wyncenuros said:

I thought i'd have a read of this one, and the whole way through, i'm waiting for the negatives. The downsides. The problems. We all know Movie World has these, and even with a fastpass, I expected to hear some negatives. I started to think that everything was just way to rosy just to be an opinion piece... of course at the end - the little disclaimer that the writer visited the park as a guest of movie world - so its a promo piece, not a legitimate opinion. 

I'm not knocking a little bit of promotion to their target audience - and its far cheaper than TV advertising... but I don't think it's fair for them to write a completely rosy picture and not address that there are a few negatives.

4 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

are the WWW boats any different left side vs right? I've never paid attention as you step over the side, as opposed to JL where there is large gap to walk through hence the need for younger kids on the inside 

Reading this has given me another thought as to why the entrances are different - In JL - kids go first as the carriage has a high side, and if the door were to fly open, the adult is less likely to fall out of the gap, and more likely to hold on.

With Wild West - because you're stepping over the side and down into the log, there's a risk little Johnny might slip on his way in - smash his face open and shut down the ride - at least temporarily - those logs are wet! Plus - with the parent still on the dock, they are substantially higher than the child - who - if they slip, might overbalance the parent and result in them falling too. 

By having the adult go first, they are more likely to have a stable balance, hold on if needed, and less likely to smash their face as they have a better developed 'fall' instinct too. Once inside the log, they're lower than the child, and they can reach up to lift the child down and get them properly seated.

I'm sure there could be other reasons, but i'm fairly certain this would be it.

1 hour ago, The Sunlander said:

Not everyone examines a website before going to a location such as Dreamworld.  I for one, bought a year pass to movieworld/seaworld some time back and went there without examining the website.  I picked up a list of attractions when I arrived and had an enjoyable time, with no drama.  It is a bit much to expect that guests will find all of these (fine print) details before hand. 

It would have saved the day for the quests if DW had explained all details at the admission gate and made suggestions about appropriate rides.  I believe that the guest knows of her abilities more than some other person who has never seen her, and upon viewing a ride in action, can make up her own mind.  I do not believe there should be an issue of the guest being thrown out of the ride in operation, as all harnesses and safety devices lock the guest in place, and once locked, should be foolproof.

Ok so I still haven't seen the video, but i'm assuming based on comments that we're talking about a family, who visited from New Zealand, went to the park with a differently abled family member, and were disappointed when they found out.

Ok - I've just seen the video as posted by Iwerks (Thanks @iwerks!) and I have to say this video makes me VERY angry... at the people who posted it.

For starters - the video says they pre-purchased their tickets online. ONLINE. Now - many places the world over are set up to cater for persons with different abilities. Disney does it wonderfully - however, there are still adjustments to be made - Take Haunted Mansion for example. A wheelchair bound guest cannot disembark at the exit, instead riding their doom buggy through the maintenance section of the omnimover system (hidden by a curtain) and getting off at the start of the ride to re-ride back through the stretching rooms to ground level.

What i'm saying though - is that wheelchair access sometimes provides a few hurdles. There may be different entrance points, or ramps located in odd places, so checking in advance to find out what kind of issues or restrictions there might be helps you pre-plan your day. 

I just went to the dreamworld website. clicked on 'park info' and amongst several options was one for 'guests with disabilities' - sounds like a no brainer. https://www.dreamworld.com.au/park-info/guests-with-disabilities

On this page, they explain in detail about what you should do if you have a guest with a disability. Alicia DOES HAVE a disability. Although she has gross motor control, her cerebral palsy does impact on her ability to hold on. I have no idea what's going on at Rainbow's End - but I cannot imagine allowing someone onto a Disk'O without the ability to grab the handles - one could potentially break their spine due to the lateral forces.

As for Rainbow's end - and using Alicia's ability to ride there as a reason why she should be allowed to ride here is crazy. That's like an american coming to australia, and having a blood alcohol content of 0.08 while driving because thats what they do back home?

There is no reason or excuse for them not to have known what was required before coming as it is clearly posted on the website (the way back machine confirms it's been there prior to their visit too). If they'd read this, they'd also have realised that they could purchase a cheaper admission ticket at the gate for Alicia, due to the restrictions.

Next up is the claim that the ticket booth staff didn't say anything about them needing a rider pass. Well... i'll have to throw back to the website here again, as it says once you have a rider pass, it's valid for 6 months, so you don't have to go there every time (and I must say this is better than VRTP who issue a wristband with punch holes that only works the day you're there). Would it have been nice for the ticket staff to enquire whether they had a pass already? Definitely, and this might point to some training needed for the ticket staff - especially at the wide-access gate... but given they were with locals (who I presume were passholders) they might have assumed the locals knew what they were doing. Would it have hurt for them to ask the gate attendant themselves? or did they just expect it to be presented on a platter?

By the sounds of things, the ride attendant at shockwave was following the rules, incredibly apologetic and directed the guests appropriately to the place they needed to be.

The staff at the first aid centre also sound like they were quite friendly. The staff could have had a quiet word with Alicia's carer if she wished to avoid embarassment to explain that there were rides she would not be able to go on, rather than just give them the pass and let them find out for themselves, and for this I fault Dreamworld, but again - arguing that she's done that particular ride in another country doesn't mean the park should bend their rules. No mention is made of whether she rode Corkscrew at RE, so not sure how she sits with 'being able to ride everything' and i'm almost certain she wouldn't be able to - but that is just opinion, not fact.

I'm dubious about the quoted wait time - especially since it was phrased "about half an hour" despite the video stating that the gopro was on record the whole time, so it would have been possible to state down to the second how long that process took. Like we all know - waiting in queues feels like longer unless you have something to do. However - I'm assuming the staff member responsible for rider assessment is probably employed there as a first aid nurse or similar, and for all we know they were attending to an injury at the other side of the park. Medical needs should always take priority over disabilities - but blow me down if the park didn't offer them a queue jump for their trouble, which despite saying valid only once - they admit they used many times, gaining an unfair advantage over other park guests - most of which would have been kids by the sounds of the rides she was allowed to do.

And while i'm mentioning the gopro - how dare they not only record staff without their knowledge or permission, but then post it online! Of course, they've now edited the video to remove those parts, but to do so in the first place is unacceptable.

And finally, i'm disgusted at the use of the word "discrimination" as they were never discriminated against, except for their health and safety - which is lawful in Australia under the Disability Discrimination Act. This video represents in entirety a smear against Dreamworld. A blow for which they try to lessen at the end by redirecting their issue at the manufacturers of the rides and parks worldwide. Of course, the fact that she has ridden the RE version of Shockwave makes it seem like the manufacturer claim isn't quite true, but then the rider assessment can be subjective for the person making the assessment each day, and you could potentially get two different results based on who did the assessment. Unfortunately, the park has final say in matters such as this, and whilst its very sad Alicia wasn't able to ride certain things, the video portrays the park as uncaring. They claim they should have been told before arriving at the gate (they were - https://www.dreamworld.com.au/park-info/guests-with-disabilities) - everything after that, whilst certain elements could have been done better by dreamworld - was entirely their own fault.

I'm prepared to get flamed on some of the opinions i've expressed here. I'm certainly happy to read a reasonable response and have a civilised debate - and i'll happily admit if i've got something wrong too. Unreasonable, petty or insulting responses will receive the same in reply.

WTF... Dreamworld has done nothing wrong. It's clearly listed on their website about what disabled guests need to do. Australian safety laws are a lot stricter than what they'd be like at a small park in NZ, how could you seriously think that they'd be the same? Dreamworld was perfectly kind and acted like anyone should, they did absolutely nothing wrong. And they seem really impatient... they waited 10 minutes in a line and complained about that being long... they seriously need to learn what patience is.

If she wanted to break her spine and not only have issues with her motor control but have no motor control at all, then all she had to do was ride something like the motocoaster in a main car. And that probably would've led to a lawsuit against Dreamworld, so Dreamworld is just doing what they need to do to keep both her and the park safe.

Discriminating is not the right word. Dreamworld was helping her, not discriminating her. They did what was safe for both her and the park. They completely misused the word discriminating.

And what's more, she liked motocoaster. That shows that something's definitely wrong. :P (Just needed something to lighten the mood here, I hope I haven't been too dark)